Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

B&W installed, now want 5th too (but not B&W Companion)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&W installed, now want 5th too (but not B&W Companion)

Have a B/W GN installed on my truck. Thinking about getting a 5ver. I could get the B/W Companion, but having a shortbed, I would like a sliding 5th wheel hitch. What brand of sliding 5th wheel hitches has anybody used that could be used with a B/W already installed? I would like one that is as removable as possible (leaving just the rails in would be ideal). A lot of the 5th wheel hitches I looked at required mounting to the frame, but with my B/W, that is not possible. Not looking for a fancy slider, just a manual one that I can use if needed to get me out of tight spots.

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
A lot of the 5th wheel hitches I looked at required mounting to the frame, but with my B/W, that is not possible.
That says it right there. You HAVE to have it mounted to the frame, the sheetmetal bed isn't anywhere close to being strong enough. A lot of the newer 5'ers are coming with extended pin boxes and rounded front corners so that the shortbed crowd can get away without slider hitches. Check out Heartland RV's website. Then get the Companion.
Ron
Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by hotdram
Have a B/W GN installed on my truck. Thinking about getting a 5ver. I could get the B/W Companion, but having a shortbed, I would like a sliding 5th wheel hitch. What brand of sliding 5th wheel hitches has anybody used that could be used with a B/W already installed? I would like one that is as removable as possible (leaving just the rails in would be ideal). A lot of the 5th wheel hitches I looked at required mounting to the frame, but with my B/W, that is not possible. Not looking for a fancy slider, just a manual one that I can use if needed to get me out of tight spots.

Thanks,
~Rob
Valley hitch makes a device they call the H bracket which works with the B/W. It slides down into the B/W square hole and allows rails for any fifth wheel slider/regular to be used. They are proud of it, but it is a good product.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Looked on Valley's site but I could not find the "H" bracket you are referring to.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob have you considered selling the B@W and installing Reese/Drawtite rails? You can add a gooseneck plate and use it when you need to haul your GN trailer. Or put in the slider hitch when hauling the 5th wheel.

I added a Curt Gooseneck plate (Ebay purchase) to my rails...not sure if you had seen it or not.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by kblranch
Looked on Valley's site but I could not find the "H" bracket you are referring to.

Follow this link
Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Those Heartland RV's are nice, somebody pointed me in that direction about a week ago. I need to go see one in person.
The H bracket maybe the way for me to go. Not going to bother selling my B/W and while ~$450 for the bracket may seem a little spendy, considering the alternative (bashing my cab), it would be worth every penny to me.
And it is a lot cheaper than buying a new long bed

~Rob
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the link.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:42 PM

How about one of these.

http://www.bageco.com/5thadapter.htm

If you google fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter there are a few manufacturers.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM

I would just stick with the B&W Companion and get the 5th Airborne Sidewinder on your new 5th wheel trailer. Overall it will be cheaper, the companion is a very good hitch, and the Sidewinder with air is an awesome setup and works extremely well with my shortbed. You will end up being cheaper and easier to use! Scotty
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by beretzs
I would just stick with the B&W Companion and get the 5th Airborne Sidewinder on your new 5th wheel trailer. Overall it will be cheaper, the companion is a very good hitch, and the Sidewinder with air is an awesome setup and works extremely well with my shortbed. You will end up being cheaper and easier to use! Scotty
B&W does not recommend this combination, and they have received reports about breaking the Companion with this setup. They say it shifts the pivot to a location that stresses the Companion beyond it's intended design.

I was all excited about this myself about one year ago, called B&W, they say not to do it. After reading this post, I tried again today, same results. Shucks.