Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch

How does everyone like these that have used them ??? I am installing the turnover ball gooseneck this week and also purchasing the companion 5th wheel hitch. Just wondered what everyone thought of this unit that has used one before.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM

I have had the companion 5th hitch for just a few months but like it a lots.
I have pulled my trailer aprox. 9500# and have not had any problems, this
was on a 4000 mile trip to Sturgis SD and on to Yellowstone NP from my home
in north Ms.

John
Old 08-29-2005, 04:30 PM

B&W goose

I installed a B&W gooseneck a couple months ago, it works great, the only thing I don't like is where the safety chains go, the chains have rubbed the paint out of the bed.
Let me know how you like the 5th wheel, I'll be getting 1 soon!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM

A friend and I travel for work and we take turns pulling his 11000lbs camper He got something called a Cody coupler "I think". It attached "clamped"to the campers kingpin so any truck with a ball in the bed could pull it for $200 i think . took about 30mins to install and "remove with hand tools if you use the stablizer brace". there are different styles that I have seen on different sights. Just another option
Old 08-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd just check with the trailer builder before putting on one of those 5th wheel to goose ball adapters. They act like a cheater bar and increase the stress on the trailer's frame, but as long as the manufacturer says OK, go for it.

Anyhow,

I really like my B&W and Companion. When you install, I'd keep a bit of primer on hand, to coat where you have to cut to prevent rust. Also, I couldn't get a drill underneath by the exhaust pipe to put in the passenger side safety chain ancor, so I had to use a dremel tool to drill a pilot hole so I could drill the 1/2 inch hole from above in the proper location.

A ratcheting tarp strap or something similar and a saw horse or whatever will really come in handy to hold the main cross member up while you bolt things together. Pulling the spare tire is also worth the time.

I used Lock-Tite red (high strength) when I put mine in, but in retrospect if I did it again I would just torque everything down, then tow a few thousand miles to let everything settle... Then pull the various bolts and nuts one at a time (in the order specified in the directions) and treat with lock-tite and retorque...

Anyhow, I think you will like it. I do wish it could be removed and reinstalled without tools, though, but the flat bed is nice. There's a couple of photos of mine in my gallery.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 AM

I have the B&W turnover ball, and use a gooseneck instead of the Companion. However, I may eventually get the Companion because the gooseneck only adjusts up or down. The Companion can be adjusted up/down and front/back. With the Companion, I can get a few more inches of cab clearance. I am satisfied with the turnover ball so far, and the quality seems to be top notch.

However, if I had it to do over again, I might have gotten the Pullrite Slider system, because I have a Dodge shortbed (shorter than other makes), and the worry of hitting the cab on turns with my 5th wheel is always with me. But the price is much higher. I believe it is called the SuperGlide, and you can get one that is "easily" removed from the bed, so they say, if you purchase the under-the-bed mounting system.

Bottom line: I bought it, now going to use it, and it is good quality. Live and learn.