Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

30 Amp Short Stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 Amp Short Stop

Help, my trucks charging fuse (20amp) keeps blowing. My trailer plug harness goes into a "junction box" on the front of the trailer where all the wires are connected and exit as the trailer loom. One wire is connected to a post on what I think is a breaker, and then another wire leaves on the opposite post. Trying to solve the shorting problem, I notice the breaker posts where extremly rusted. When loosening the nut to remove the wire, one of the posts broke off. I was wondering if this was the problem, so I replaced the fuse and touched the two wires together, eliminating the breaker. Pow.......that didn't work. Does anyone know if that breaker has to be there or not. I though possibly I had a bad connection and now I don't have any breaker in line and possibly this could be causing the short. Sorry for being long but we're leaving for a week and now I've got this problem. Thanks in advance.

ga
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 AM

A short is where a hot lead touches ground. A rusted breaker doesn't necessarily short out, but from what you say, I'd definitely replace it. It's there for protection. From what you say, it sounds like power comes into that panel, then is distributed to the trailer.........?? I would mark each of the wires going out of that panel, make a diagram, so you can get it back together the same way, then disconnect every wire and make sure nothing is touching. Then, with an ohm-meter, start checking resistance of each wire to ground. Should show some amount of ohms. If any don't, trace them out till you find the short. No easy way that I know of.........just time and effort. A little more rough and ready way would be to unhook all the output wires, put in a new fuse and start touching wires back to their terminals till the fuse pops. It'll probably throw a good spark, too. That's your bad guy. Trace it out and fix the short, then go camping. Good Luck ! ! !

Lar.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Check your trailer batteries also. If your battery or batteries are bad they can also cause problems.