2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Upper Door Hinge Stop Arm, Bushing & Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Door Hinge Stop Arm, Bushing & Spring

I have done a lot of reading here on the subject of upper door hinges and so far people have been mostly talking about sagging doors. Mine are not sagging but time and use have worn out the door holder roller. When you go from one position to another the hill on the arm catches the roller and makes a wonderful noise when opening or closing the doors and it does it on both positions of each door. I have had this happen on every vehicle I have owned with this set up. I have used sprays and also small brushes with grease and applied it that way and they just wear out and do not roll well anymore.

These kits and illustrations that I have seen do not cover this portion of the hinge. Has anyone seen a kit that does. The hinge pins have play in them but if I can't get a kit with a new pin/roller for the door postion holder then it makes no sense to buy a kit and still have that popping noise twice every time I open or close the door.

I may just buy the 2 upper hinges, install them and then take the old ones into a very good maching shop I have worked with for 17 Years and rebuild them with zerk fittings to be able to grease them with a gun. Has anybody found a kit with the Door holder roller and Pin? Thanks, Joe
Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That's a good idea about the zerks. Kind of like the old style Mercedes hinges. Mine do the same thing and i just lube em with waterproof grease for bicycles...it seems to last the longest. I looked em over and don't really see a good place for a zerk other than straight down the top. I have been using an old syringe with a reasonably large needle to put grease above and below that roller.
A good set up may make an attractive aftermarket part as I occasionally hear these doors on job sites. Its not uncommon but many don't take very good care of their trucks though.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM

I got the same issue, can't find nuttin on that 3rd pin with the bushing in the middle. I don't even know what's it' called. Oh..door postion holder. You ever find anything Joe?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to find info on the "door position holder" when I redid my bushings and pins but couldn't find any.

I just cut the thing off. Problem solved. Just have to get used to not letting the door swing open in parking lots.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM

SHERPADAD,
I have not found anything. I am going to order the original hinges from the dealer and when I get them installed I am going to work with a machine shop to modify the old ones.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM

I'd settle for finding a replacement spring for my passenger door's upper hinge, as mine is MIA. The "ratcheting pawl" or whatever it's called is in rough shape, too. Looks like it was made of soft metal - it's really galled and worn. Drivers side must have been replaced at some point, it's in much better shape!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Bummer Joe, I was really hoping you were going to say "Yeah, here's a link..$4.95 for the pins and bushing..." but alas, there's a great salvage yard out in Augusta KS, they might have door hinnges, I thing I might got that route and see what they got. I just can't believe no one sells a replacement kit for that door position thing-ma-jig.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM

I would actually prefer a bearing as opposed to a roller bushing. Once the roller bushing starts to bind the lobes on the arm wear out rather quickly as they are scraping and popping accross the bushing instead of the bushing rolling as the arm moves accross.