Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will not start

i have problem with my fuel shut off solenoid thougth the old one went so i put a new one on and still have to pull it up buy hand with the power on to start the truck. is there anything i may have missed maybe the old one was good? do i have the right amount of power to it? checked fuses don't find any thing there that would cause this. don't really know were to look.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

I take it from your email, that once you pull it up it stays and the truck will start. Four things you can check.

1) Make sure you have 12v at the connector when the switch is in the crank position. If not you could have a bad fuel cutoff relay. Its one of the two relays located at the top of the firewall straight back from the fuel cutoff solenoid. They have a reputation for failing. The carry up to 60A so they are a bit expensive. It is cheaper to get them at NAPA then the dealer.

2) There should be a blue wire straight from the driver's side battery to the relay. The wire is actually supposed to be a fuseable link so if your solenoid did fail it could have blown the "fuse". Note: The wire is not blue on my 97.

3) Check the connection between the "fuseable" link wire and the battery terminal. I had a corroded connection which prevented the battery from supplying enough voltage/current to the solenoid so it wouldn't engage. Also, if your battery is really weak it can prevent the solenoid from working.

4) Check the adjustment on the solenoid shaft to make sure it is correct. It is supposed to be "set" if the solenoid is replaced.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM

ok i have 12v at the power wire going to solenoid. i did look at the blue wire link is ok tested on both sides. on the silenoid saft i did not adjust it i did not know if i had to plus do not know the specs on that?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Forgot to mention it but the system provides two 12 volts signals in my truck. One is low current which holds the solenoid engaged in the run condition. The other is a high current circuit that engages the solenoid when cranking. I just looked at you information and since your truck is a 95 it may not be the same. Seem to remember a previous discussion regarding this on TDR which mentioned that. If it helps check this file http://users.adelphia.net/~mclaughli...l%20cutoff.jpg it is a diagram I put together from my 97 service manual. Hope any of this helps.

Regarding the solenoid adjustment:

FUEL SHUTDOWN SOLENOID
SOLENOID SHAFT ADJUSTMENT
1) Turn ignition on. Pull upward and hold solenoid lever in
the upward position. See Fig. 5. If solenoid is operating correctly,
solenoid lever should remain in upward position with ignition on.
2) Measure distance from bottom of mounting bracket to end of
lever pin. See Fig. 6. Distance should be 2.64" (67.0 mm). If distance
is incorrect, loosen shaft lock nut and rotate adjustment nut until
correct distance is obtained. See Fig. 6. Tighten shaft lock nut and
recheck the distance.
Fig. 5: Identifying Fuel Shutdown Solenoid & Solenoid Lever
Courtesy of Chrysler Corp.
Fig. 6: Measuring & Adjusting Fuel Shutdown Solenoid Shaft Distance
Courtesy of Chrysler Corp.
Attached Thumbnails will not start-image2.jpg   will not start-image3.jpg