Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why did I buy a Scotty II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:Why did I buy a Scotty II?

Now I only hit 33 lbs of boost, but I barely notice the noise in the cab. (I have a stock stereo in the truck) The noisiest thing is the turbo bark, and that happens quite regularly when I'm on number 9 on the PM3.<br>I still have stock injectors, if that matters.<br>I dunno about temp. I have not been able to get over 1200 so far, but I have not been drag racing with my trailer hooked up. ;D Does this mean the Scotty II's working?<br><br>Chris
Old 05-20-2003, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I'm close to stock. 275's ain't much. I'm still hitting max egt's at times. I was looking for some improvement. I have not seen any. Noise is way too much. I will put this on the shelf, mebbe loan it out, and run something different for now. When I am at real power levels, perhaps I will try it again. <br>Don't remember hearing that you must have huge HP to see EGT reductions ??? <br>Just a bit over stock here, and NO EGT reductions.<br>If it helps later, fine. I'm not happy right now. No EGT reduction whatsoever. You'd think that there would be something. Even a little. IMHO - nothing. And the noise is awful! I like it loud, but this is too much.<br>Sad but true.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=BigK link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=15#140484 date=1053492035]
I know that I'm close to stock. 275's ain't much. I'm still hitting max egt's at times. I was looking for some improvement. I have not seen any. Noise is way too much. I will put this on the shelf, mebbe loan it out, and run something different for now. When I am at real power levels, perhaps I will try it again.
Don't remember hearing that you must have huge HP to see EGT reductions ???
Just a bit over stock here, and NO EGT reductions.
If it helps later, fine. I'm not happy right now. No EGT reduction whatsoever. You'd think that there would be something. Even a little. IMHO - nothing. And the noise is awful! I like it loud, but this is too much.
Sad but true.
[/quote]
Heres what really baffles me, you come on here chattering bout the product but so far no call to the place of purchase.
Why not?
Rather post on here instead? Very well then.
I have a few customers that had terrible experiences with some really so called good product from your advisor and they took it to him not the internet...and they still got the brush off! We'd gladly refund your money but no call. :
I will make a point of telling folks that aren't happy with other vendors to post it on here to enlighten others.

Several thousands of dollars have been spent by folks that had defective products from your advisor and they got the run around with pricing, promises and warranty crap.

Hopefully you took the time to address other possible issues for your max EGT.

www.scottyairsystems.com

Guess I got a bit confused. I referred to your advisor...whoops...my bad...I was referring to cumminsgetsome and his post.
Instead of deleting this post I can show I made a mistake... :'(

Whats your boost showing at WOT? You have a boost module if its over 20.9 psi?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=BigK link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=15#140484 date=1053492035]<br>Don't remember hearing that you must have huge HP to see EGT reductions ??? <br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey BigK!<br><br>You actually don't need huge HP to see EGT reductions with a Scotty unit, however both Scotty and I have stated many times that stock and near stock levels, cruise EGT reductions will be nil to an absolute max of 25F or so. At wide open throttle, EGT reductions will again be nil to an absolute max of 50F. The stock airbox simply isn't starving the system of air at these lower power levels.<br><br>But as the power level goes up, so do the EGT reductions. Comp equipped trucks with smaller injectors, in the RV275 to DD2 range have been seeing 25F - 75F cruise reductions, with WOT throttle reductions in the 100F - 200F range. Fairly heavily fueled trucks (DRAG Comps, PM3 Comps, DD3's and up) are seeing some pretty wild variations (50F reductions all the way to 400F reductions, at WOT), I suspect due to turbocharger differences (many were being driven past where they should be have been driven. No air system can compensate for an HX35 being driven to 49 PSI of boost). However we still saw an average of 250F reductions at WOT, with cruise EGT reductions in the 50F - 100F range. <br><br>Cruise EGT reductions were typically another 25F - 100F lower (depending on modification level) when loads were attached, but we've only managed to gather loaded numbers from 30 or so trucks. Loaded WOT numbers have seen similar reductions, although many trucks weren't carried to high speeds.<br><br>With you seeing minimal or nil reductions on your RV275 equipped truck, I can think of a couple things:<br><br>1) Your truck is one of the &quot;underfueled' trucks that left the lot. We've seen what I would consider to be large variances in power on stock vehicles. By large, I mean 30 HP swings. If you're kicking less than normal fuel levels, your EGT reductions will be reduced.<br><br>2) You may have a leaking intercooler and/or boots, and the added air just disappeared. Remember that just because the clamps are tight, doesn't mean that they are sealing. After a particularly poor showing at our event last year, I checked my boots and clamps and found that 4 clamps, even when tightened right up, leaked like sieves at 25 PSI of boost.<br><br>or more likely:<br><br>3) If you're running 275s, and your boost isn't higher than stock levels, the air box simply isn't going to reduce EGTs. Boost must come up, and you must be in a starvation or near-starvation situation for an air box to reduce temps. Its a simple fact of engine operation, thermal dynamics, and a whole host of other 14 syllable words that I don't understand At your power levels, I'd recommend folding the insulation over the hole in the firewall. You'll get your reduced noise levels (slightly higher than stock, lower than an oiled filter with heat shield), and you'll should still see some improved spoolup. At your levels, the system will be just as effective in Hush mode as it is in dual inlet mode.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-21-2003, 01:55 AM

I know that before the scotty II I would peg the EGT gauge before the end of the 1/4 mile. Now it stops at 1400. I have no idea how much it reduced my EGT's but a guess would be a lot.<br><br>BigK,<br><br>If you are still running near stock levels of boost then you need more air to run those injectors properly. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:27 AM

Seems VERY hard to believe that you havn't seen any EGT reductions despite your lack of fuel. I saw reductions at all levels, comp only, comp + DD111's etc etc on my 24V. The more power...the bigger difference it made. Yes I tried the stock box with the mods 200+* difference ;D The difference between having to lift or not under WOT or towing is huge when ya got some fuel and boost happening
Also if you are unhappy you should of contacted the vendor / manufacturer. Bet they will be REALLY eager to help you after bad mouthing a great product : :
I had some major issues with one of the major vendors/advisors at one time. Changed the price by a LOT, work not done right (wastegate not set up on turbo they installed for me ???) and so on. A true gong show. I called them and tried to sort it out. Got some resolution but still I am not happy about it but my business will go elsewhere in the future. I never bad mouthed him on on the net before talking to him....and I still havn't. Bad week for him maybe, who knows? Opinions are like [censored]....everyone has one. Try keep the uneducated/second hand ones to yourself. Can you read a gauge
Old 05-21-2003, 07:19 AM

This is the direction these post always go a person rights a question to find out if maybe he is not doing something wrong and gets jumped all over for not agreeing with everyone else. I was ready to order one so I made a couple of phone calls and was advised that it probably will not help to the degree that I needed and for the same amount of money I should do something else. Then I read this post and posted what I was advised to do Boy am I sorry I ever added anything. No dought it is a great product But with the added noise and POSSIBLE minimal reduction of egt's I would rather do something else.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:26 AM

I like John P have had the Scotty 1(Psychotty) since it was brand new and saw an instant reduction in EGTs even at part throttle cruising down the freeway. The Scotty 2 gave even more EGT reduction. I have drilled the hole for 6 guys to date and all have seen a good EGT reduction. <br><br>Here are my thoughts on reduction of EGTs....<br><br>A lot of guys see lower EGTs by just installing a BHAF and an open Cone filter under the hood. These come from less restriction on the intake tract so the turbo is working easier to draw in air. But they are sucking hot air from under the hood, by sucking cool outside air the reduction is much great because the air is already cooler. <br><br>Even in the dead of winter cruising down the freeway I have seen 50-75 deg less EGTs running the Scotty housing vs just an open air filter.<br><br>I would look at other things that are causing your EGTs to be higher, like low boost, leaking intercooler hoses, ect.<br><br>The Scotty system works...
Old 05-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=15#140537 date=1053519557]<br>This is the direction these post always go a person rights a question to find out if maybe he is not doing something wrong and gets jumped all over for not agreeing with everyone else. I was ready to order one so I made a couple of phone calls and was advised that it probably will not help to the degree that I needed and for the same amount of money I should do something else. Then I read this post and posted what I was advised to do Boy am I sorry I ever added anything. No dought it is a great product But with the added noise and POSSIBLE minimal reduction of egt's I would rather do something else.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I like facts sir. Like the names of the companies/people that make this claim of how the system does not work, how many they have actually tested and when would they like to meet with me to do some testing. I am willing to back up my claims as stated at www.scottyairsystems.com<br>Are they willing to back up their statements? Are you willing to tell me via PM or on here these companies that state this?<br>I'm not jumping on anyone, simply replying in a similar fashion, so if it feels that way, well...then maybe I took it that way too. Facts and names please.<br>Since your posts are somewhat vague, elaborate with the facts and your alternative way to reduce egt so others can benefit or have these folks contact me. I'm good to go, are you or they? I have a passion for something I believe in and so do several hundred others. I'll be available for your reply.<br><br>Scotty<br><br>P.S.<br>We stand behind our product, some vendors don't. I'm not into defamation or slander, some others are and legalities on how/where someone speaks poorly or writes negative of something can lead to more then just chit chat.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:00 AM

SOOOO does anybody have a scotty I that they are going to throw away? ;D<br>DM01
Old 05-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=15#140563 date=1053525611]<br>SOOOO does anybody have a scotty I that they are going to throw away? ;D<br>DM01<br>[/quote]<br><br>
Old 05-21-2003, 09:24 AM

My Scotty II is in the mail. ;D<br><br>Can't wait to install and play with.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:33 AM

I think I will just put my stock box back in and that tornado device that's &quot;as seen on TV&quot; ;D <br><br>Tony<br><br><br><br><br>

Quick Reply: Why did I buy a Scotty II?