Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why did I buy a Scotty II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did I buy a Scotty II?

For the reduction in EGT's, silly!<br><br>If it weren't for that, the noise in the cab would be unbearable! <br><br>Problem is, there is no reduction in EGT's <br><br>Can anyone help me to understand what I'm doing wrong?<br><br>Scotty II was installed Saturday, I went to work today. 11k gross. No noticeable change in EGT's. Ambient temp @ 65f.<br><br>Disappointed, came back to shop, picked up two others, (my wife and NAIL BENDER), went to test hill. Recorded results.<br><br>Back to shop, change to OEM airbox w/K&amp;N, fold flap over hole, try again. Same route, same load 11k gross. Not enough difference to notice. What's up w/that?<br><br>Back to shop, swap K&amp;N for brand new Baldwin filter. Same route, same load. Noticeable difference. Not so much power as EGT. Temps higher, had to lift sooner. Only a little, though.<br><br>I will not put up with the noise of the Scotty without a SIGNIFICANT decrease in EGT's! What can I do to find this? <br><br>See sig for up-to-date truck profile. <br><br>Disappointed with my latest &quot;upgrade&quot; :
Old 05-20-2003, 07:08 AM

Re:Why did I buy a Scotty II?

If you do not have a modified truck you will see only slight EGT reductions. On a more modified truck IE mine it makes a HUGE difference. I can easily pull 200 Degreese out with my scotty 2 installed. I can even put the cowel flap over and see an increase of about 100 Degreese just by doing that. So I would not worry until you start more mods Edge Box, and injectors then you will be glad you have the scotty.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you install a Scotty if you had stock fueling? I mean, your EGT should be fine stock.<br><br>Unless, of course, you were just being smart and paving the way for future fueling mods.<br><br>Jamie's on the money here.<br><br><br>HOHN<br><br>
Old 05-20-2003, 07:22 AM

I am experianceing high egt's so I was considering a scotty 2 so I called piers and was talking to him he said about a 50 degree drop in temp over my stock air box with the boot removed and that the noise becomes unbearable so I held of and decided to go with piers suggestions on lowering egt's, thanks piers that saved me two bills! Matt
Old 05-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Stock or close to stock configurations do not see the big egt reductions. The more you add the HP the more this system shines.
When I ran just the RV 275's I saw a 50F reduction empty and maybe 75-100F from stock pulling a 9K trailer.
Several folks have asked me if they need a Scotty with their truck and if they do not have a bunch of power mods, I suggest they save their money or plan to see big results from it as they BOMB the truck more.
You are simply not burning enough fuel to air to show the benefits of the system...yet.

4&quot; exhaust might net 50F reduction for over double the price of a Scotty but folks buy it.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:51 AM

I ran a Scotty on my stock 12v. I didnt have an issue with EGT's @ the time but I wanted the truck to breathe better and it did. Before I installed the Scotty..the truck felt like it was falling on its face @ 2000 rpms when I was puller a load. But this breather cured that problem! You could feel the difference in the way the truck rev's. Now what I have added more fuel..I still dont have an EGT problem. Plus it looks cool 8) 8) 8)<br><br>Rick<br>
Old 05-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

If your stock, I doubt you'll see any reduction. You can ask every on here who has installed a Scotty and you will notice that most have at least some sort of box and/or injectors and that they can reduce their temps by at least 100* or so.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Prior to the Scotty I coming out, I had BIG problems with<br>high EGT's. Upon installing the Scotty I, I IMMEDIATELY<br>saw 50-75 degree cooler EGT's than I had before! When<br>Scotty released the Scotty II I immediately purchased<br>the new &quot;dual intake&quot; design and saw my temperatures<br>drop another 50-75 degrees!! I cut the hole in the cowl<br>a LONG TIME ago and do not regret it one bit! IMO, the<br>Scotty I and now Scotty II Air Systems have been one of<br>the best modifications I have done to my 96' Dodge CTD.<br>You can look at my signature to see what modifications<br>I have done to my 96' 12 valver. My son has the Scotty<br>II on his 2001 24 valve (H.P. pretty heavily increased)<br>and he has seen the same drop in EGT's!<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 05-20-2003, 11:09 AM

Even with my stock setup I did drop 50-75*..<br><br>Rick
Old 05-20-2003, 01:45 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=0#140160 date=1053433377]<br>I am experianceing high egt's so I was considering a scotty 2 so I called piers and was talking to him he said about a 50 degree drop in temp over my stock air box with the boot removed[/quote]<br><br>With your level of modification, the Scotty system would definitely deliver more than 50F of EGT reduction at WOT. Our test results on modified to heavily modified trucks has been in the arena of 200F to 400F on approximately 50 trucks. Cruise EGT reductions will be lower than WOT reductions of course, but still should be in realm of 75 - 150F.<br><br>As far as stock truck reductions go, the absolute most we've ever seen from a stock truck in the way of reduction is 50F. The stocker air box is simply capable of flowing enough for a truck in stock trim, so NO air system, anywhere will reduce EGTs when there is no air starvation. The Scotty Air Systems website specifically states that stock EGT reductions will be minimal, and indeed when I speak to customers on the phone, I ensure they know that the only benefit to adding a Scotty to a stock truck MAY be enhanced spool-up.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=0#140160 date=1053433377]<br>I am experianceing high egt's so I was considering a scotty 2 so I called piers and was talking to him he said about a 50 degree drop in temp over my stock air box with the boot removed and that the noise becomes unbearable so I held of and decided to go with piers suggestions on lowering egt's, thanks piers that saved me two bills! Matt<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is leaving a nice opportunity for proof. So lets have it from Piers or you.<br>Get your facts and post them.<br>Theres a few independent folks with some interesting facts of their own to share if need be. <br>
Old 05-20-2003, 04:40 PM

I could purchase one but I have talked to several other high performance installers that stated the same as piers. I would really be upset if I forked over two bills and did not notice more than 50 degrees I would rather go a different route that piers and others suggested. But if you are willing to send me one for my testing and if it does as you say I would be more than willing to spend the cash.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:35 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=7;threadid=14946;start=0#140352 date=1053466821]<br>I could purchase one but I have talked to several other high performance installers that stated the same as piers.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Currently there are 3 high performance installers who regularly stock the Scotty Units:<br><br>City Diesel<br>Source Automotive<br>Piers<br><br>We do have several small independent installers who have purchased 1 or 2 of the units, and to a man, their customers have been very happy. I know this, because I personally contacted each after the install. So I guess what I'm saying is if there is another well-known high performance installer(s) who is stating that the Scotty II doesn't work as advertised, they have no basis for making this statement as they've NEVER carried or installed the units. Or if its one of our smaller independents, they did not tell me the truth when I placed the follow-up call.<br><br>We do offer a money back guarantee (except for in-cab noise complaints, since the introduction of hush mode). If this system is not performing as we have advertised, then we will issue a refund. Simple as that. We will not send out units and then wait for payment. I do not know of a single business who operates in this fashion, and as far as testing goes, this system is well tested and is not in need of further testing. Thus far there have been 2 customers (that I am aware of) who have not seen the EGT reductions that we promise, and in both cases, they were using pre-filters (which we proscribe using).<br><br>Rod
Old 05-20-2003, 06:46 PM

I beleave your unit will work great but if it does not drop my egt's a significant amount then I will still be looking for a better way to bring them down and I really do not want the cab noise I think you make a great product just not for me to experiment with. If the stock air box is so restrictive why does my filterminder stay in it's lowest position? It would move to about half way when I first installed the 3k governor springs then I removed the boot between the fender and the airbox and it has not move since.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:56 PM

With a #8 plate full forward and the AFC full forward, 3,000 rpm governor kit and the stock turbo, I could pull the filterminder to it's stop in one hard run after sealing the box with neoprene tape to stop the leaking. I then added the BHAF and the Scotty II cowl hole and reduced EGT's and the filterminder doesn't move. I now have a Scotty II on order and should be here in a couple days<br>Bruce

Quick Reply: Why did I buy a Scotty II?