Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

whos tranny upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 05:09 PM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whos tranny upgrades

i just got my comp, now it's time to think about upgrades for the tranny. i've been looking at different sites (dtt, ats, etc.), but who's is best? i dont understand alot of the designs, but also dont want to get something i dont really need. there are triple lock tc's, different clutch packs, and all sorts of other gizmos. i just want something thats going to hold up to the power of the motor with a comp and other minor upgrades (not looking to run the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds). mainly all i do is tow a 10k lb trailer up some fairly steep hills, so i dont want to get a hot rod type valve body, but i dont understand much about the tc and what line pressure does, etc.... i'm an idiot ok!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:58 PM

Re:whos tranny upgrades

well j- There are alot of varied opinions on this. I am going to get mine done this spring. My choice is DTT. Why- because they have been doing transmissions for a long time and they are proven on the street as well as the strip. ATS might be a good product, I really don't know, but they haven't been around as long as DTT. Time will tell if they really do have a good product. I'm sure others with both will chime in here. Do your homework and make your choice wisely, it's a lot of money to spend to be unhappy...
Old 11-16-2002, 08:15 PM

Hmmmm, let me see who would I go with? oops I allready have.<br> j I think they are all so much better than the stock trans,its like night and day, at least with mine. Do some research before you spend that kind of money tho. Good Luck. <br> <br>
Old 11-16-2002, 08:32 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTT<br><br>Don~
Old 11-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J, you can see by my sig that I have an ATS. So far I have been very happy with it. I haven't done the wire on the pump yet, but I know she'll be able to handle the power without issue. John_P and his red rocket also run the Stage IV like I do, and he's putting a ton more power than I am on the ground. His has also been very good. <br><br>There are a bunch of choices out there. Do you homework. Even call the vendors and ask lots of questions. Both brands can hold a lot of power, but they're also different in many ways. I'm not sure how long DTT has been around, but I do know ATS has been around since 1993. They haven't been on the forums for that long, but they've been in the business for quite a while. Maybe someone can chime in on the DTT history because that's something I do not know.<br><br>Either way, I think you'll be happy by upgrading, no matter what brand you choose. Good luck with it. <br><br>Jack
Old 11-16-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

j:<br><br>As Jack pointed out to you, I also run the Stage IV<br>ATS Transmission and am very happy with it. My son<br>(&quot;banshee&quot also has the same transmission in his truck<br>as Jack and I, and his has performed well too. Both my<br>son and I are well over 400 H.P.<br><br>The ATS Torque Converter has three discs instead of<br>the single one found on the stock unit. Their converter<br>has approximately 119 square inches of &quot;lockup clutch<br>and surface area&quot; which leads the industry. Also they<br>run lower line pressures than some of the other companies<br>which helps the seals etc. I like the ATS unit because<br>it &quot;locks-up&quot; from 2nd through 4th gear. Also the ATS<br>unit has a 36 month warranty.<br><br>FYI, before switching to the ATS transmission, I ran a<br>cheaper &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter, a BD Valve Body and<br>BD Pressure Loc with &quot;beefier&quot; clutches etc. This<br>&quot;combination&quot; lasted me for over 70,000 miles with<br>no problems at all. I purchased that unit from Scheid<br>Diesel who still uses the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converters.<br>If cost is a factor, you may want to look at something<br>like that.<br><br>As Jack said, &quot;do your homework and call the vendors.&quot;<br>Buy what you think will work best &quot;for your specific needs!&quot;<br>The ATS and DTT transmissions are both very good units<br>which will &quot;hold the horespower&quot;, but as Jack said they<br>are different in many ways too.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 11-16-2002, 11:27 PM

I chose ATS and I recommend them to everyone!<br>As John mentioned above, the Triplelok Torque Converter is absolutely incredible!<br><br>--Justin
Old 11-16-2002, 11:51 PM
BFC

j,<br><br>I was in the same boat you are now, a few months ago. Read a lot, called everybody and ask TONS of questions. I ended up going with DTT. I would do it again in a hearbeat! Proven track record both for product performance and customer service, works for ME. Make sure you buy what works for YOU.<br><br>Glenn
Old 11-17-2002, 12:23 AM

I am happy with ATS products. The TripleLoc converter is amazing. I am a machinist by trade and took a tour of Clint's shop while I was having the work performed on my truck. I can tell you the design of the TripleLoc is outstanding and because the lock up surfaces are stacked the line pressure does not need to be increased to gain holding power. This keeps the fluid cooler and eases the work the pump has to perform. The converter is either in lock-up or not there is absolutely no slippage. I agree with what others are saying, do your homework talk to all the tranny guys and make your own decision.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:02 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well I would also look out for the quality of the installer. I am definitely shure that you can destroy any product , be it DTT or ATS or anybody else, by installing it wrong. <br>I am happy with my tranny. <br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 11-17-2002, 11:51 AM
j

i was kinda leaning towrd ats, and will definately have it installed. wasn't sure what all the clutch hipe was about till i sat here reading it all last night. thanks for all the replies. will probably go ats soon.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:13 PM
BFC

[quote author=Edward link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#68145 date=1037514233]<br> because the lock up surfaces are stacked the line pressure does not need to be increased to gain holding power. This keeps the fluid cooler and eases the work the pump has to perform.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just for the sake a clarity, ATS also bumps up line pressure(regardless of what they say on their website). Ask the people running ATS tranny to mesure line pressure. It will come back 75/85. This as been done (measure line pressure) and was a very controversial over &quot;there&quot;. Turns out that on similar set ups, HP/torque, ALL aftermarket performance tranny manufacturers use highler line pressure, ALL of them.<br><br>Glenn
Old 11-17-2002, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

BFC:<br><br>Yes, your right, the ATS unit does run a little higher<br>line pressure than the &quot;stock&quot; pressure. But it is not<br>set up &quot;as high&quot; as DTT or some of the other companies.<br>As I recall, the &quot;stock&quot; pressure on my 96' was right<br>at 60 @ idle. With the ATS unit, I am at 70 @ idle.<br>I know that with my &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; TC, and BD Valve<br>Body, the &quot;idle&quot; pressure was @ 80 and the &quot;stall&quot;<br>pressure was around 120. My &quot;stall&quot; pressure on the<br>ATS is approximately 90.<br><br>------<br>John_P
Old 11-17-2002, 03:47 PM

[quote author=John_P link=board=7;threadid=7129;start=0#68331 date=1037568396]<br>BFC:<br><br>Yes, your right, the ATS unit does run a little higher<br>line pressure than the &quot;stock&quot; pressure. But it is not<br>set up &quot;as high&quot; as DTT or some of the other companies.<br>As I recall, the &quot;stock&quot; pressure on my 96' was right<br>at 60 @ idle. With the ATS unit, I am at 70 @ idle.<br>I know that with my &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; TC, and BD Valve<br>Body, the &quot;idle&quot; pressure was @ 80 and the &quot;stall&quot;<br>pressure was around 120. My &quot;stall&quot; pressure on the<br>ATS is approximately 90.<br><br>------<br>John_P <br>[/quote]<br><br>This was posted by Don a while back :<br><br>
Originally posted by dramer <br>The transmission line pressures that we use for the majority of the transmissions is<br>70 Psi Base line<br>120 Psi WOT unlocked<br>140 Psi WOT Locked Up<br>We use elevated line pressure for the transmission clutches. Our converter can be used with a stock transmission with NO line pressure increase. There are many more modifications that we make in the valve body also. I hope this will help a little.<br><br>Don Ramer
<br><br>Before my recent convertor change, mine was 75 at idle witht he previous DTT setup.<br>
Old 11-17-2002, 04:56 PM
BFC

I have mine set up at 75 idle, just in case you were wondering! ;D <br><br>Glenn

Quick Reply: whos tranny upgrades