Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Who knows Injector pump innards?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knows Injector pump innards?? HELP!!

The rod that the Govenor sprins slide on, are they removable? I messed something up with my GSK install and one of those center rods is bent. It isnt broken but cockeyed in the bore where I cant reinstall the springs. Can this be removed and replaced or does the whole Injector pump have to come off?

Zack
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zackb911
The rod that the Govenor sprins slide on, are they removable? I messed something up with my GSK install and one of those center rods is bent. It isnt broken but cockeyed in the bore where I cant reinstall the springs. Can this be removed and replaced or does the whole Injector pump have to come off?

Zack

First.
why did they bend?,
1.- didnt you have the nut completly on the stud? if not, it hits the pump sides!
2.- if you can see that the stud is worn of, from hitting pump sides, then you have a problem!!

a guy came here with me, to let me fix that same problem!!!
his truck ideled at like 2000 rpm - springs stuck, cuz the inner stud was bent)

here is what we did:
1st, removed the springs(they where a pain to get out, with the stud bent!)
2nd: then sticked a long flat screewdriver in there, just above the stud, against the plug hole (that had the 7/8" cap)
3rd, make another guy turn the engine backwards, (counterclockwise)

after we had the stud in the center (could tell by the look) and be the easieness the springs slide back in, we started the truck, and it idled fine again!!!!

I have bent back studs on two different trucks yet!

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM

So it can be done!! I honestly dont know why it jammed up. I am trying to get the bottom base thing out but with the stud being cockeyed it catches. I think the sides etc are fine and that it was the whole assembly being tightened down too tight and maybe a little off center.... Ill try to get a spare hand and bend it back! Any other tips??
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Easy way to turn the the engine backwards by hand is to put a socket wrench on the alternator pulley nut. A 7/8" or 22mm socket will fit the nut. Pull wrench towards the passenger side.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by J.R.'s_dodge_diesel
Easy way to turn the the engine backwards by hand is to put a socket wrench on the alternator pulley nut. A 7/8" or 22mm socket will fit the nut. Pull wrench towards the passenger side.

we tried that, but the pulley slipped! so we made us a tool , to apply on the front down of motor (?flywheel)

It can be bent back, just im not sure if there are mayor problems in the pump!
just be very carefull, and make sure you get it as close to the middle *** possible, oh, and to make sure the threads dont get damaged, put the nut on it, and apply there!

one of the trucks, bent the studs again and again, after driving it for about 5 minutes, he finished up buying our pump! and bringing the other one back!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 AM

Well I bent it back by barring the motor with a deep socket on the stud and reinstalled, I tightened the nut down 2 clicks after the first real click but i think they are a click or two loose, Ill see if I can find some vernier calipers today after work. The truck runs ok, not the same pickup that it should have with the 3K GSK,and the throttle is sticking "revving" again but i can hit the pedal and it will come back down. Its isnt right but Im getting close! Thanks AGAIN!! I thought I was going to be out a whole lot of $$$$$$$$

Zack
Old 06-21-2006, 07:12 PM

Well I bent it back by barring the motor with a deep socket on the stud and reinstalled, I tightened the nut down 2 clicks after the first real click but i think they are a click or two loose, Ill see if I can find some vernier calipers today after work. The truck runs ok, not the same pickup that it should have with the 3K GSK,and the throttle is sticking "revving" again but i can hit the pedal and it will come back down. Its isnt right but Im getting close! Thanks AGAIN!! I thought I was going to be out a whole lot of $$$$$$$$

Zack

what exactly is going wrong now? or not like it should?? do you have in the 3k GSK now?

maybe we can help you all through the process of getting the truck like you want it! I personally dont use a vernier calipers anymore, ive been in there too often already (more then 10 times!)

please explain what it does!!! too thight aint good, too loose either!
idle screw and springs have to be adjusted as a combo, correctly to work good!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:49 PM

Its good to go!! I reset everything with some vernier calipers and double checked all the GSK springs... It was fine but lacking power. So again I tore into it moved the #11 back to the stock position and adjusted the govenor lever. Now it halls *** and purs like a kitten!! Thanks guys!! 12valve I owe you one buddy!

Zack
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Its good to go!! I reset everything with some vernier calipers and double checked all the GSK springs... It was fine but lacking power. So again I tore into it moved the #11 back to the stock position and adjusted the govenor lever. Now it halls *** and purs like a kitten!! Thanks guys!! 12valve I owe you one buddy!

Zack
Anytime bud

Nobody else seemed to have had this problem, except you n me! We had to fix it for free! Some would say its the redneck way

do you have a picture of the 11 plate profile?
Ive never seen one, just curious.
i have seen all the other numbers, but not the 11!

Glad everything worked out!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM

I'll take the redneck way over a $1500 IP anyday!! I dont have a pic, but I plan on slidingthe plate forward again this week and Ill take one then. After being in and out of it so many times, I have it down to a science and well under an hour:-)

Zack
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM

I'll take the redneck way over a $1500 IP anyday!! I dont have a pic, but I plan on slidingthe plate forward again this week and Ill take one then. After being in and out of it so many times, I have it down to a science and well under an hour:-)

Zack
same here!!

ok, ill wait for the picture, after i get it, ill be glad to share with you my whole plate profile collection

hmm i know a guy, who changes fuel plate in 5 minutes! he told me his wife found out with a cronometer, whatever...

he changes from stock to his banks plate and viceversa as often as his socks!

he puts in the stock for towing, and the banks for racing... i mean, doesnt he have a little foot control??!!