Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What Have I Done? (New Guy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face What Have I Done? (New Guy)

Just couldn't stand it, replacing my old vanaaken smartbox with new Edge Comp for a little extra torque. First time I stepped into the throttle a little, #1 setting, I heard a big POP! Found the rubber boot to intercooler blew off, I tightened it back up and now I keep hearing what sounds like my wastegate opening up, (a major blowing sound). What must I do next? I might have been in #4 when the wastegate opened up...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must still have a leak somewhere. Might be time to get some new boots.....
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 PM

Check the driver side lower boot off of the intercooler, sometimes it gets sliced. Make sure all clamps have a good hold on the boots. And make sure your air horn is tight. Sometimes it will leak out of there.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Yep, you've still got an intercooler boot leak somewhere. You can pressurize the system by getting a 4" PVC clean out and cap at Lowes or home depot. Also get a male quick connect air fitting and threaded coupling to fit the pipe threads (or you can just get a nut to fit the thread, but the coupling will be in a nearby bin). Drill hole in the clean out cap for the male quick connect fitting (keep it as small as possible to get the fitting in....use heat if you need to get the fitting through the pvc). Tighten it snugly (using the coupling as a nut) to so no air leaks. Put it into your air intake hose that connects to your filter or stock filter housing (whatever applies) and tighten the band clamp around the clean out base. Get an air hose from your air compressor (of course this is all dictated by having an air compressor), and hook the air chuck to your male quick connect fitting. Listen for air escaping, it should be easy to find the leak. Fix the intercooler boot or air horn gasket or where ever you find the leak.

Good luck, Matt