Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

The tranny is starting to slip Hum which tranny to put in???.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:The tranny is starting to slip Hum which tranny to put in???.

That is a nice thing about the autos, power lauches. From what i understand they are quicker too. But then the auto will cost someone like 3500 compaired tot he 1000 for the manual when upgraded( from what i understand)

Heres a question. When upgrading the auto, can you just put in the valvebody and tq or do you have to replace all the innerds?
Old 11-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Banned

This is your decission not ours.....You need to get on both sites and get the facts. Make a list of what they both offer, price, shipping, all the things that are important to YOU. This is a huge investment, and YOU should be doing your homework. Call the two up, and ask them some of the same questions, warranty, what they will and can do for you, why you should buy there transmission?
You are not going to get any answers on this FORUM, only people recomending to you, what they bought. Take there advise as what it is, and move on. You are the one that pays for this thing, so YOU should be asking the the right questions to the companies not these posters. Good luck with your new transmission.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:32 PM

Well just when the board was getting dull you went and started it Tranny Thread.

Love, Jim
Old 11-09-2003, 04:46 PM

y-knot,

I think your reply to silverram is a little harsh. Obviously, he is going to have to talk to both DTT and ATS but you say repeatedly that he needs to do the research. Shouldn't part of that research be talking to people that already own the product and not just the people trying to sell them? People should be able to have a discussion without it turning into a brand war or making sponsors angry. This site is all about information and learning to me and to not be able to ask someone why they bought what they did would be silly. Also, if you go back to the original post, his main concern was "is there a dealer close to me" along with which tranny you might personally prefer.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:57 PM

exactly. Take myself. Im lookin for a new truck to bomb. just for s's and g's and after almost a year of research im down to transmissions........ might be the first thing but i started with engines haha. 5spd or auto are my only questions, I honestly have no experience with a dodge 5spd. never driven one. So when i hear they hold up but are doggy thats what i wanna know. Basically what peoples reactions are ya know? Im not asking for someone to decide one way or the other. Just for reactions/experiences. But its all good
Old 11-09-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

[quote author=kingofdodge7131 link=board=7;threadid=22176;start=15#msg207734 date=1068414293]
That is a nice thing about the autos, power lauches. From what i understand they are quicker too. But then the auto will cost someone like 3500 compaired tot he 1000 for the manual when upgraded( from what i understand)

Heres a question. When upgrading the auto, can you just put in the valvebody and tq or do you have to replace all the innerds?
[/quote]

I think that this depends on a lot of factors- DTT raises apply pressures to a point where there are concerns about some seals on the front piston etc.Therefore they have some updated parts in the package. Basically if you are having troubles with your tranny now chances are good that they are somewhere else than in the TC or VB- and the shot TC is a result of the other problems. I'd also go for a full install by a certified installer, even though it costs more, for warranty reasons. Since there is much money involved I do think it's better to take the whole thing apart and check all parts, and maybe even change the input and output shaft to be shure that the tranny will stand the torque of a bombed Cummins.

I won't comment on any other vendor than DTT since this is the only aftermarket tranny I have first hands experience on.
I'd say that it's better to talk with the respective builder/installer about the profile of your truck and the intended usage, and gizmos like exhaust brakes etc and listen to what he says about your individual situation.
The quality of the installer is crucial to the performance of the tranny too. Good stuff assembled and adjusted wrong is bad news.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 11-09-2003, 05:52 PM

So what does the truck shift like, act like with one of those tranny in it? Rock solid shifts. Can you burn out no problem because it don't slip? What is so different about those trannys VS the stockers
Old 11-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Muted User

I've heard good things about suncoast transmissions. I think there tc are called Pro-Loc. worth checking out
Old 11-09-2003, 05:59 PM

Don't forget there are other companies out there that are building great transmissions as well. When I was in your shoes a month ago I called all the tranny guys I could find and weeded them out from there. I called the final 2 I bet 5 times with different questions. Then the installers to find out how long it would take and get a feel for them. Like was stated earlier it is a big purchase. Make sure you know what you want out of your tranny. Then go for it. What ever company you go with is going to have a great product. Any will be such a great improvment over the stocker, you will be nothing but ;D ;D. After you write the check. Good luck.
By the way I do love my setup, like most of the other members do. Even the 5 and 6 speed guys.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

[quote author=kingofdodge7131 link=board=7;threadid=22176;start=15#msg207769 date=1068418658]
5spd or auto are my only questions, I honestly have no experience with a dodge 5spd. never driven one. So when i hear they hold up but are doggy thats what i wanna know.
[/quote]
If you want to drag race, get an auto and spend the money for trans upgrades. You will be consistently quicker (unless you are some kind of speed shifting god) and if you get a trans built right the first time you won't have to deal with as much breakage. If you want to tow heavy, stick is the way to go. The price for an auto to tow heavy and use an exhaust brake is about triple what it costs to do the same thing with a stick. Me, I like to row the gears and listen to the straight pipe. Autos just don't sound right to me when they drive past as I'm looking for 3rd.