Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

thought this was cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was looking on google for a sweet background for my computer and came across it, i tried to find some sort of video for it but came up short
Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 PM

I would think that the psi doesnt matter at all here on wether it would work or not. I would say the key factor of it is how much cfm of air the charger can move. If the wipple could only flo 1000 cfm at max working rpm and you had a turbo moving 1300cfm at that point then it would be a problem. If that was the case you need a bigger wipple, (super charges take lots of power to drive) so the bigger the more power being takin away from your motor. Turbos take almost no power to make work, but you have sacrifice a little time till you feel it start, verses instant boost. Im no expert so i can be way off track too. But i believe a few people tried that set up back in the day on our engines and it does seem to work like you would think. If it did wouldnt there be after market companies selling kits, i would think so. Thats my thoughts on it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM
The Guru

The supercharger should be the primary compressor of air, and then use a turbocharger. Roots/screw compressor are more efficient at compressing low pressure than a centrifugal compressor (turbocharger). An 1800 cfm super push air up to 30psi of boost is almost out of its pressure ratio. A turbo would take the pressure up to 80-100 psi depending on where it’s operating on its map. A super would be more responsive than a turbo, but does have more parasitic horsepower losses than a turbo. So in theory, a turbo engine would make more HP than a supercharger engine.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I was thinking along the lines of the old 2 stroke Detroit's, like the 6-71 they all have blower bypasses on them. At least all of them I have ever worked on did. And it was explained to me that the turbo could push more air by volume and psi so the blower would be a hindrance at that point.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good points.. The Screw is a fixed volume displacement machine vs. rpm. Doesn't have room to stretch out like the centrifugal/turbos..
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 PM

this is a Detroit 2 stroke blower bypass valve. boost pressure sensing, as soon as you overcome spring pressure the valve opens and the inlet and outlet of the blower are open to each other. so then the blower is strictly moving volume, its not able to build pressure with the bypass valve open. turbo blows right through it.

Goes in that hole in the endplate...........quick How do you know this is a 53 series blower? ..........straight lobes on the rotors. 71s and 92s are helical.

and looks like that on a 53 series.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Iv seen that pic a bunch of times & never can find any info in it. That thing would be crazy to drive i would think. That "twin Screw" supercharger makes instant boost. That would be fun!!! & would love to find some info in it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 PM

I am sorry but I just can't resist this one. Several posters said that a screw type compressor can only make 30 psi. Now before I say what I'm going to say it is probably true that Whipple uses a bypass valve. I really don't know as I have never messed with one. But I have spent more than thirty four years working on every type of air compressor known to man. And have worked on turbocharged and supercharged engines from heavy equipment to top fuel engines in race cars. A rotary type blower or compressor can make way over 30 psi. don't belive me, goto Quincy compressors on the web and take a look. Or try sullair. They both make rotary screw type compressors that produce over 125 psi. A top fuel race car can and does regularly run over 170 psi of boost. With a roots type blower based rather loosely on the old 16v92 blower. If there is no bypass valve in a roots type blower and you want to increase the boost all you have to do is speed the blower up. And yes you lose a bunch of power spinning a blower as compared to a turbo. On a top fuel engine as much as 1,500 hp just to spin the blower! but when you have 8,000 to 9,000 Hp to play with whats 1,500 or so. JMHO
Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 AM

All this talk about boost got me thinkin. And this may sound incredibly stupid, it was one of those completely random thoughts...but what says you can't just run an air compressor to your intake, with a valve that opens with the throttle? You want a lot of air right now, that'd be the way to go.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:10 AM
The Guru

Those top fueler blower are specially designed to handle the additional pressure. Just at some point there is point at which you become less efficent at put in boost vs a turbocharger. Blower take more power to build boost. We use screw natural gas compressors to feed centrifugal natural gas compressor. That take pressure from almost nothing up to 1000 psi. Talk about lots of heat and intercooler processes. As for compressing low pressure with lots of volumes, roots/screw compressor can't be beat.

Thanks for the pictures Luke. I would like to set that set-up on your camaro, that would be an crowd drawer for sure. I would like to see that set-up all chromed up just sticking out the hood.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 AM

That twin charged setup in the original post, is an old pic! Iirc it was done by Piers. I use to have the dyno sheet of that motor, and a few more pics. Unfortunately it was on my old computer, and wish I could find it again. IIRC it ran about ~360whp, but with close to 1000ft.lbs torque, and some big area under the curve.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Mike, something like this? I've been packing them around for a long time. I am saving the 8v-71 natural blower for just that occasion

Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
The Guru

Yup that will be one bad ride buddy. I might need to go for ride, one day.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 AM

I remember watching farm tractor drags and pulls years ago seeing John Deere farm tractors that had 2, 3, even 4 superchargers stacked one on top of the next to compound the boost... it worked so a turbo feeding a supercharger has to work.

My concern is just the parasitic loss, as mentioned. Twins or triples would be much more efficient.