Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tell me why I want Scotty2/AFE stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me why I want Scotty2/AFE stage 2

I know there is lots of info available in numerous different threads. I have done the searchs and they have been helpful. I am a newbie to the diesel scene as I have only made one payment on my firt truck. I have a 02 2500 5sp with only a four inch exhaust installed now. Locals shops are all saying to do AFE(um...maybe because they sell em) and act like there is nothin else available thats worth my time but forum users seem to be swearing by the Scotty. What's the differences? As far as performance, EGT control, and even sound? Anybody that has direct experience with either of the two or both please chime in. Any other suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

And once again I apologize for bringing up this already beat to death topic.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Banned

The difference is that the scotty draws air from not only the fender but from the windshield cowling as well. This allows TONS of cold, dense, EGT killing air to be ingested by the engine. Go to scottysystems.ca and take a look at some of the editorials done by people. On average you'll see at least a 100* drop. At least. Most of the time (depending on how heavily fueled you are) you'll see more. Now, unless you've upped the fueling on your truck you won't see much of a difference. But, when you start adding fuel, that's when it pays off. But trust me, you won't find a better performing intake on the market. Not to mention that scotty himself is a great man to deal with and will set ya up with whatever you need.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM

If your going to stay under 500hp get the Scotty.
If you plan on going crazy I would go for the AFE stage 2 unit.

IMO.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Hey thanks a lot guys. I just noticed I was gettin a lot of opinions both ways. I just bought the truck so hopefully i can be somewhat conservativebut knowin me, I'll want more so that means you will continue to see my simple questions for the more experienced. Good info.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM

Down fall of the Scotty is drilling out the hole in the firewall to get that fresh air. Once you start with the aftermarket turbos, the wail of some turbos will drive you crazy. My HTB2 is not for the weak of ears. I've ended up pluging my four inch hole in the firewall, and covering that with highend stero sound dampening material. I now have an AFE Stage 2 on my work bench that I'm coating in the same sound deadening material before I install it.
My only other option is to cover the wife's head in Saran Wrap.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 AM

they are both good but for the price i would get the scotty. the stage 2 is way overpriced. I have the stage 1 and love it, the filter isnt fully enclosed but the shield does a good job of reflecting the heat.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
CTDDIESEL02:

The other members are giving you some good advice on the two air filter systems you are consdering.

Personally, I have tried just about all of them between my 1996 Dodge CTD and my newer 2002 Dodge CTD. So far I have tried the following air filter systems: AFE, Volante, BHAF, Scotty I and now the Scotty II. At present, I am running the Scotty II on my 2002 Dodge. I can't run the Scotty on my 1996 because that truck has twin turbos. IMO, the Scotty II has worked the best for my application.

I agree 100% with what "Big Blue" has posted about the Scotty II. Like he said, you are going to get "at least a 100 degree reduction in your EGT's."
I have seen more than that on my trucks over the last few years I have used them.

The only "con" I can see is what "BARTMAN" has brought up, that being, the 4" hole you drill in the firewall cowl to obtain outside air from the windshield/cowl area. He is right, this mod does increase the amount of "turbo whistle" from the engine and some people don't like that. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but as he said, with the bigger chargers (I am running a Piers HX-40/16) it can be worse.

I would recommend trying to find some members who have the systems in their trucks and take a ride with them to see what you think.

Good luck!

--------
John_P
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My only other option is to cover the wife's head in Saran Wrap.

Or buy a TAG.
I guarantee it will make your turbo noise less than a stocker even with a Scotty though the firewall.
Comes with a 100% if you don't like it refund, how can you lose?
more info http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag
Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scotty put a bug in my ear about the TAG as well..

I have also heard of guys building air dams in the cowl area to keep the noise down with some good results. If you were using the stereo insulation anyway, you could pull the plastic cover and make up a "sound dam" to keep the intake in the corner, just a thought..