Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips

First of all, Forgive my ignorance......

I've had a "diablo puck" on my CTD from 10k miles, I now have about 80K. Since I've had warranty issues, I've pulled the puck and been driving it for about 2500 miles without it. I've noticed that it really feels "doggy"

My question is: What exactly do these chips/boxes do?

Just a bodyman

Magnum
Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 PM

Here is a little something to read you will need a pot of coffee:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...der=descending
Hopes this helps.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:52 PM

Thanks Billg, I've already been searching, found out some interesting stuff, now if I can comprehend it...
Old 01-14-2004, 08:51 AM

Well in short (This is taken from Diablosports web page) http://www.diablosport.com/dodge.html “The PowerPuck remaps the fuel delivery of the diesel injection pump and advances the injection timing curve.” From what I have heard, some boxes play with just timing, some fuel, and from what I have read most will change both. Then there are the boxes like the Edge Comp that tap the pump wire and really pump the fuel in. When looking at the installation for the puck, I did not see where they tap into the MAP sensor. If there adding fuel I would want more boost to help keep the EGTs down (like the Edge and other products do). You will see this when you get your gauges in. By taping into the MAP circuit they fool the ECM so it won’t see more than 20lb boost (not sure of exact number). Then you can bring up the boost by using their boost elbow (a brass fitting that bleeds off closure pressure on the waste gate allowing the boost to go higher), turnbuckle, or a device like the turbo master (my choice).
Hope this is more what you were looking for.

edited: The reason for fooling the ECM on the boost signal is to keep it from setting over boost codes and de-fueling to try to bring down the boost pressure.