Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight Pipe and New Filter = More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Pipe and New Filter = More Power?

I have a 97 Dodge 12V cummins with only 60K on the clock. I undrstand by straight piping and putting in a K&N (?) filter sytem I can gain some HP. Does anyone know how much.
I have also read about a CHIP and BOX but cannot find application for a 12V, any insight here? Any downsides to this alteration?
I like the truck I just need a little more power when hauling! I fugure it is cheaper than a newer one and I also have heard the 12V is a better engine.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:42 PM

The exhaust and filter will net very little hp increase. Install a pyro and a #10 torque plate from tst, piers or ??? and watch out, you will be hooked!! Alot more can be done, but you can get close to 75 hp from a plate alone. Also concider a gsk if your truck is an auto. Go to user cp and fill out your profile so that we can further help.

by the way here is a do-it yourself price list.

1. pyro 150+/-
2. tst plate 200 +/-
3. gsk 100+/- (on sale till fri at piers)
4. strait pipe 25+/-
5. bhaf (bighonkinairfilter) 50+/-

total =525= (will feel like 100hp)
Old 12-27-2004, 10:48 PM

Making the engine breathe better with a filter and straight pipe gains very little HP. What it does is lowers the EGTs. In turn, making it so you can safely add more fuel and gain HP. The whole game of adding HP to a diesel is keeping the EGTs down. Period. Adding fuel raises EGTs. See the balance?

Best place to start is adding a pyro and boost guage (As sharpmachine said) to monitor EGTs and boost levels You want to keep EGTs below 1300*. Also, straight piping and upgrading air filtration does nothing but good, so go ahead and do it.

The 12v injection pump is all mechanical(good thing). So, no chips or boxes apply. The 12v uses an aftermarket fuel plate to increase the fueling. They come in different profiles, so find which one works best for you.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:38 PM

This all revolves around what tranny you have, fill out your profile or tell us, if you have an auto, that is stock it changes everything. Like me for instance, I'm waiting to do anything more than what i have done untill my tranny takes a crap. As soon as it does and after I install an ATS or DTT then full steam ahead, look out ford
Old 12-29-2004, 11:02 AM

Thanks gang, that helps alot, yes it is an automatic.
I will continue my research
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 PM

more power

MBman,
Welcome to our world of " need for speed ".
Your biggest bang for your buck is the fuel plate, afc & 3,000 gov springs. IMHO, I would go with the TST in Columbus, In. supplier. You can start with a small increase plate. Then when you DO THE TRANS & TRIPLE DISC CONVERTER, you can trade up the plate for $50.00.
Think where you want to go in the HP & TQ range then do your trans to put that power to the ground.
Change all the fluids in the truck maybe an oil sample just to be sure.
Then you can power up the injectors & turbo.
Follow that with the head studs
Also check the signature of the trucks like yours & talk to anyone who has what you are thinking about doing for a reference.
It costs nothing to talk to people
Then come to a few events, pulls or drag races. Talk to everone who has a 12v for ideas & price info.
Best of luck
Wayne
Old 12-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

exhaust and intake are a great start uncorking the truck but before you add more fuel get a set of guages then turn up the fuel
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
The exhaust and filter will net very little hp increase. Install a pyro and a #10 torque plate from tst, piers or ??? and watch out, you will be hooked!! Alot more can be done, but you can get close to 75 hp from a plate alone. Also concider a gsk if your truck is an auto. Go to user cp and fill out your profile so that we can further help.

1. pyro 150+/-
2. tst plate 200 +/-
3. gsk 100+/- (on sale till fri at piers)
4. strait pipe 25+/-

total =525= (will feel like 100hp)
Will the same formula work on a first generation or is that a different animal??
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM

charger 69,

It is pretty close, but your truck has a little different pump. Because of this the torque plate is not an option and the gsk is different, but I am sure simmular bombs are available, keep your eye on the 1st gen section and/or post some questions. You will be happy. Good-luck Welcome aboard!!! just my .oo2
Old 01-03-2005, 07:19 AM

charger -

1. pyro 150+/-
2. Ol smokey power pin 170 +/- (also tweaks on the pumps are free like the fuel screw)
3. gsk 13 +/-
4. strait pipe 25+/-
6. POD injectors 370 when on sale at PDR 60HP

step is suposed to ad 25 HP and takes 10min to install

jiMMy
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Hey man. I have my truck in the shop right now. I just finished putting a 5" turbo back MBRP exhaust with a cut muffler flipped backwards(better flow) and it's loud as hell. I also did my fuel plate 40hp Bosch injectors, TPS delete kit, new gauges, Tork Tek overflow valve, turned my boost up on my BD power super B turbo(47lbs) and it hits it on a dime, new front end. I have a stock transmission and all that and it's lifted with 36" tires. So I'm gonna be battling the urge to get in the throttle and what not until I get a better transmission and head studs. That being said I just need to time it(misfire at 2000rpm free reving) and redo my axle housing. Besides that it is a whole new truck! I also have a 3 piece after market manifold. Not sure what the brand is.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I owned the loudest Cummins ever made. A 24v. When I got this 3rd gen,I installed a higher performance muffler. It's slightly louder than stock. I'm done with the racket.