Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks trough a camper top?!?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks through a camper top?!?

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at getting a set of mitre cut 5" or 6"stacks for my truck, but did not want to give up the wintertime versatility of having my cap on the bed. So I came up with the idea that you could cut the fibreglass of the cap, fab up a grommet of sorts, maybe even something to seal them in since they don't flex, and have the stacks stick up through the cap. I think this would look bad, but what do you guys think, would it be tacky? Is there anyone with photoshop that can chop some stacks onto a truck w/ a cap?

The other question I had was whether they should stick up through the flat section of the cap, or through the sides (so you'd have a long oval line cut in the side of the cap, but the stacks would be just inside the bed rails)?

Thanks Guys,
Matt

Last edited by Need95-00CTD; 01-15-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-16-2007, 12:51 AM

Ha, that'd be cool. I think through the top, with turnouts facing slightly outward. Hope your shell is black...cause it will be soon!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You'll probably have to pull the stacks if you ever need to pull the Cap off.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Banned

I wouldn't do it... a lot of effort, good chance it'll look really goofy, and even better chance that the resonance of the stacks echoing inside there will drive you batty.

I know on my old 1st gen, the resonance w/ my straight piped exhaust was a lot worse with the topper on than with it off
Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 AM

Ahh...I never thought of that Forrest, but what if I wrapped the stacks with Fibreglass Insulation? That should keep the noise down, that and an internal muffler. I wanted to go with mitre's, that way I would just have to lift off the cap, but unclamping the stacks wouldn't be hard either.

I looked through all the member photos and it looks like this has never been tried before, at least with a CTD. I may have to give this a shot in the spring. And I think I'll put the stacks lined up with the outer parts of the sliding window, so the stacks would be through the top, and I wouldn't have to clean off the paint all the time.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's something that I had pondered for a moment, but decided it wasn't worth my time. I then decided just to put a 4" system in stock location.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Ive seen a truck with it done befor, and i posted how it was done for another guy that wanted to do it but i cant find my post on it. The guy put the 6 inch stackin threw the topper with the gromets and made a rig to secure them to the bed. But he ran 4 inch pipes up inside the 6 inch stacks to eliminate anything being burnt or melted. The 6 inch pipe stuck out a foot from the top and the 4 inch pipe stopped about 4 inches shot of that. The 4 inch was all welded and bolted to the bed so it wouldnt move inside the 6 inch and rattle. The flex pipe under the truck absorbs all the movement. Came out real nice. But seemed like a lot of work tho.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM

And another upside, you'd have semiheated motel in the back of ur truck, might sound like ur in a boiler room but heated none the less lol
Old 01-16-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks Dieselrob,

I'd love to see pics if you can find them, if not, no big deal. I kinda planned on running 4 or 5in pipe inside the stacks. I only want it to stick up about 3 inches higher than the lowest point of the mitre cut. The way I plan on doing it, it'll run just like regular stacks, then through the topper...Not a big deal as far as I can tell.

Did he have a lot of resonance inside the topper though?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
JKM

I don't think i would do it , there is an older model powerstroke around here with the stacks right up through the extended part of the CAB. He has a stack inside a stack , that is a 5" chrome for looks , with a 3" steel stack stuck up inside to actually carry the exhaust. the tips come just a few inches out of the roof then then they are turnouts...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

it would look nasty IMO. lotta trouble, and the top would be BLACK. now if your going to do it, i would do miters that just bearly were higher than the top of the topper...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM

maybe one of those stovepipe gromets that are used to run a flue threw a metal roof would work? i would like to try this, but i too was worried about how it would look. if some one gives me a red cap for a long bed, i will give it a try, and post some pics of the deal. so, whos got the free cap?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 PM

I dont have any pics of it sorry. The resonance wasnt to bad, it was a quad cab. He had one of the carpet liners that covered the whole inside bottoms and sides and gate. No worse than a single flat cut stack like i had once. But i think you will find out if you go as low as your thinking it will be a very dirty topper roof.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Well considering I ride on 35" tires and the truck is pretty tall, I don't even think Yao Ming would be able to see it. I also thought about throwing some Rhino Liner on the roof of my cab and topper. The paint on the cab is already pretty crappy, and I do like to throw my canoe or kayak up there occasionally, so it would help to protect it. If I end up doing this, it will be in the spring/summer, but I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Personally I have never put stacks THROUGH the bed of any of my trucks.... I mount them outside of the box. My current truck only has a single 4" aluminized stack with a miter cut tip, but as soon as I become rich and famous it will be upgraded to duel 5" with turnouts. My first vehicle was an '87Ford F-150... I hated that thing, but for $50 and a the cost of a clutch I couldn't go wrong. I had a 4' tall 4" single on the passenger side of that beast and boy did it ever look sharp! Sounded great too, but so does everything else I pipe (I'd tell you who to ask but there's no one on here that personally knows me).