Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

space saving dual gauges

Old 11-13-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
space saving dual gauges

ok, gauge guys, it just happens that I'm not a big fan of three gauge faces plus a tweeter on my A-pillar. But two gauge faces looks ok to me, like the pic I have attached.<br><br>Since I have to have three gauges, I face the obvious need for a dual gauge. My qustion is this: Are there really only two choices out there that will fulfill my requirement of three gauges in two gauge faces?<br><br>1. Westach dual pyro/boost, plus a single FP<br>2. SPA dual pyro/boost, plus FP (or dual FP/oil temp)<br><br>I can't find any other choices besides Westach and SPA for a dual gauge. the SPAs are very expensive (but have cool extenal trigger capability). The Westachs are ok if you like the dual analog thing.<br><br>Are these really the only choices?
Old 11-13-2002, 04:34 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Re:space saving dual gauges

Those are the only ones I found as well. I was going to go with the Westachs, ordered the catalog and had them all picked out then I ran a cross a picture of the SPA's somewhere or otherdug around and found info on them and ended up going with them instead.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:05 PM

do you have any pics? $600 is pretty steep, a bit over twice the price of the three-gauge westach setup. tell me about some of the advanced programming features -- cool stuff like averaging and external triggers. what can these things do?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:49 AM

$600 bucks is all? Try getting triple $PA's, and you'll end up spending close to $900. <br><br>Andrew
Old 11-14-2002, 09:14 AM

Yeah the SPA's are expensive but:<br>*you get two instead of one<br>*very easy to read at a quick glance<br>*setable warning lights one of my favorites<br>*programmable averaging time period you can set it to change the readout based on time 1/10 of a second on up to several seconds<br>*variable backlighting brightness<br>*readout can be farenhiet/centigrade psi/bar<br>*multiple external switching functions (haven't used)but you can use them to power relays etc so that the device/function comes on or off at preset temps or pressures for example shutting your truck off at a preprogrammed temperature, turning on a tranny cooler fan at a preset temp, or just about anything else you would want to trigger based on the temp or pressure of the gauge you were using <br>*program on the fly<br>*max value recall<br>*programmable sensitivity ie 1 degree or more increments<br>*programmable sensitivity ie readout can show tenths etc <br>*programmable red or green backlighting<br>*when ordered black or white face<br>*pressure gauges read negative(vacumn) too<br>*wiring connector plugs to sensors are good and weatherproof<br>*you can get any combo you want by using temp/temp, pressure/pressure or temp/pressure generic gauges in addition to their labeled ones ie egt/boost etc<br>There are other things as well but don't remember will try to look at manual.<br><br>I went with them mainly for one reason I wanted all my gauges in the a pillar and I have 3 units/6 gauges. They are all in one spot. I wanted boost, egt, fuel pressure, oil temp and tranny temp and got above plus rear diff temp.<br><br>Westach will make just about anything you want so getting the above combos from them is doable but I was afraid that dual analogs would be hard to read at a quick glance. They even make triples and quads but they aren't fitting in the pillar or cubby hole. <br><br>From what I have seen/heard is that most (not all) people really like them even the pro analog guys once they see them in person but cost is big factor. I can say that for me they were/are worth it.<br><br>Sorry no pics but you might try going to www.performancediesel.net Nowell has some pretty good pics on his site. Hope the above is helpful sorry it is so long.<br>
Old 11-14-2002, 09:23 AM

no kidding. and what do you get for those high dollars? well you certainly get more gauges in the same space. that aside it looks like you get (1) peak recall (2) warning light and (3) external switching. Actually I like the idea of an external switch as a shutdown over ride (until the pyro reaches a safe temperature). that should be doable as long as you could find the shutdown signal of the truck and, with a little electronics, tap into it. <br><br>programmable warning lights would also be cool because you could set the threshhold to anything you want. BarryG are you using your warning lights, the peak recall, or any of the cool stuff? The web site mentioned something about averaging. Is average data available through the menu system?<br><br>I gotta ask though, BarryG: your EGT gauges must jump in increments of something like 7 degrees (minimum), due to the A/D converter resolution. But when you're accelerating, it must jump by much larger numbers. Accuracy is not the issue here (SPA is right, this is far more accurate than the width of a needle) but can you tell me what yours actually do and how readable and usable they are while driving? Also, for fuel pressure, where did you mount your sensor and does the gauge reading jump around at all with what appears to be .1 psi resolution? did you have to buy anything extra in order to install the fuel pressure sending unit?<br><br>The thermocouple materials themselves, including connectors and wiring, appear to be very robust. These look like very good quality gauges.<br><br>Anyone had any problems with the display digits fading? I heard at one time that they had problems with this (hot weather, sunlight, etc.). I noticed on their website that they were good to 158 degrees F, which could easily be obtained in a parking lot in Phoenix, for example. <br><br><br><br>
Old 11-14-2002, 09:27 AM

BarryG thanks for the info. your post hit the board before mine did ;D
Old 11-14-2002, 10:33 AM

I use the warning lights they are one of my favorite features<br><br>The averaging doesn't show average of temps/pressure it is a time period used to average the sensor reading over that time period ie set it to 1 second it will display the average reading for that time period which will change your display only every second<br><br>Peak recall yes I do use it you can reset any time you like. If on a roadtrip especially or if I think I am going to encounter any unusual driving circumstances ie four wheeling, crawling through the mountains in a snowstorm etc, it allows me to monitor differing conditions and can compare them. I also usually check the recall feature every few days just to see whats in there.<br><br>As far as the egt I have it set to change on 1 degree increments,(the old style would only do 7 degree) The 7 degree was no problem the 1 degree does move rapidly but with the averaging feature set to say 1 second the display only changes once a second so it is quite readable (however I have mine set to .5 seconds) I have found that it is no problem to get a reading with a quick glance. It does jump but not bad usually only 5-10 degrees during heavy acceleration if I recall correctly. When cruising it may jump only one or two degrees. It is quite easy to read.<br><br>Fuel pressure I have mine set to read whole numbers and it doesn't jump but if you mash the go pedal it will jump down several psi at once (this gauges warning light comes in very handy I have it set at 5psi and at wot it will come on, I know I need to be thinking about a new lift pump but without wot it does ok but is slowly falling). I have my sensor hooked up prefilter at the schader valve. I have the required fittings to place it post filter and will tap into the bottom of the fuel filter cannister and run a hose to a mount by my master cylinder but cold weather and laziness have set in. I do want to do it before I take it to the dealer to see if they will replace the lift pump. As far as additional parts all you need is a way to get a fitting in the location of your choice that will take a 1/8npt. I originally removed the schrader valve and replaced with a fitting that has 1/8 npt for the sensor. I have sitting in my toolbox a tapped banjo bolt to replace the one on the bottom of the fuel filter cannister, a grease gun hose and a female to female 1/8npt fitting. <br><br>Gauge fading was a problem on the original models in the heat but I have not had a problem with the new models. (the original SPA rep had a special trade in deal for the new ones when they came out I jumped on it so I have had both styles and the new ones are better more features less trouble with the heat) <br><br>The external switching I have not used I am somewhat electrically challenged and actually figuring out the shut down circuit is beyond my skill but if someone posted how and what I could do it. I honestly haven't really explored any other functions that I would want my gauges to trigger.<br>
Old 11-14-2002, 03:57 PM

I have to agree with Berry, SPA all the way!!! They are expensive, but well worth it IMO. The coolest thing of all is you can rig it up to shut the truck off when it hits a pre-determinded tempture. ;D :P<br><br>Andrew
Old 11-14-2002, 04:24 PM

Excelent posts, BarryG. thank-you!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:09 PM

I like my Spa's a bunch also...EGT/Boost, Fuel pressure/Oil temp in my rig