1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gauges, Gauges, Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges, Gauges, Gauges

Hi-
Just joied this site. Here it goes...
I want to put gauges on my truck. I have searched the forum and spent time googling 1st gen gauges. I have a couple issues.

1) I want a tachometer, but with a trans temp, pyro and boost where do I put it? I don't want the interior starting to look like a ricer. (so no large, separate tach). So is there somewhere I can mount 4 gauges?

2) Where do I find mounting clusters? I can't find a pillar gauge cluster that will hold three gauges for a first gen CTD. Or a two for that matter. I looked at ISSPRO but found no clusters specific to my truck. Also, are there any kits that have everything? I saw that someone fabricated a one and a two together, was wondering if that looks good and could be adapted to a four.

3) Are these the correct gauges to be installing on this truck? Am I overlooking a gauge for a less essential one?

4) Also, what about over the rearview mirror? Is that awkward to look at?

Thanks for your time.

Mitch Jozefowski
Old 09-09-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM

I've seen people combine the single and double...never seen a double-double...

I opted for the double (for a pyro and boost) and then a tach on a pedestal...I don't think that Autometer makes a 2-1/16" tach, which is the size of most of the pods...

almost positive Autometer is who made my dual pod...

Greg
Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 AM

As for pillar pods, the largest ones made for our trucks are 2 gauge pods. Some guys use those and a single to get the look of a triple. US gear sells ones that mount on the right side of the dash (they look great) and I think they make pods for 4 gauges. Give them a call and find out.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
As for pillar pods, the largest ones made for our trucks are 2 gauge pods. Some guys use those and a single to get the look of a triple. US gear sells ones that mount on the right side of the dash (they look great) and I think they make pods for 4 gauges. Give them a call and find out.
Here is some thing to consider!
You will need a seperate guage holder for your tach, pyro,and boost. for all the other guages, you could us one temp guage,....eng,tranny,t-case,front and rear diffs exc. You could us one guage with a selecter sw that could alow you to see all the different temp an one guage! just twist the **** to the sensor you want to see.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM

I got my dual pod and guages all from genosgarage.com. Very reasonably priced too if you want autometer. Which I don't anymore But the pod was around $25 and everything shipped to my door was right around $210
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM

like others have said the tach is a stand alone... too large for the pillar mounts, but no nearly the size of the "ricer" tachs a you put it. this is a shot of my autometer (boost pyro and tach)

as far as trans temp i have heard of them put into many places, the one i liked was when it was put where the o/d button is. this also forces you to do the 2nd gen shifter with o/d button on it (much more convenient.) autometer #'s are as follows
Diesel Tach - 2888
Pyro (w/probe kit) - 2654
Boost - 0-60 (don't waste money on the 0-35) - 2617
2 gauge pillar pod - 15198
trans temp (mech) - 2615
and the lifesaver part for mounting the tranny probe
Adapter - 2271

the adapter allows you to remove the factory sender (leave it plugged in but tied out of place) and put the mech sender in without hindering the flow of the tranny fluid. the factory senders only purpose (that i know of) is to kickdown out of o/d above something crazy like 270 degree. since you will be watching the gauge and not allowing that anyways there is no reason (IMO) that you shouldn't use the port. there is an image pending approval of the adapter in my gallery. all gauge #'s are for autometer Z-series.

Last edited by Micaiahfied; 09-12-2006 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add approved pic
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
and the lifesaver part for mounting the tranny probe
Adapter - 2271
the adapter allows you to remove the factory sender (leave it plugged in but tied out of place) and put the mech sender in without hindering the flow of the tranny fluid. the factory senders only purpose (that i know of) is to kickdown out of o/d above something crazy like 270 degree. since you will be watching the gauge and not allowing that anyways there is no reason (IMO) that you shouldn't use the port. there is an image pending approval of the adapter in my gallery. all gauge #'s are for autometer Z-series.
My Autometer tranny temp guage came with an adapter that screwed right in to the stock sensor hole. I didn't have to buy anything else. Part# ATM-3357 from Summitracing.com

Chass
ct
Old 09-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its autometer, but one of the majpr companies makes a 2 inch tach. My old set up was a double and single piller mount, a bit of trimming is required to match them up.
But i dont like the fact it bothered me vision wise so i took a differant path. I mounted them in the dash where the diesel message center is, i then replaced the message center with simple lights. Theres pics in my gallery and i think i still have a paper template if your interested, its a fairly simple install. If i cant find my template Mica also has one, it was cut out of alum sheet and painted black, looked almost factory.
Only thing is dont try mount the EGT in spot closer to you, it needs a bit more room, so put it in the middle,,on my gauges anyway,,.
The template is free and you have find about 3 bucks worth of alum. so its a nice install and saves you 40 bucks over the pods.

PS the pods came from genos garage web site.
Heres the link to my gallery, it seems the links in the posts is MIA
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=25705
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by loch
I think its autometer, but one of the majpr companies makes a 2 inch tach. My old set up was a double and single piller mount, a bit of trimming is required to match them up.
But i dont like the fact it bothered me vision wise so i took a differant path. I mounted them in the dash where the diesel message center is, i then replaced the message center with simple lights. Theres pics in my gallery and i think i still have a paper template if your interested, its a fairly simple install. If i cant find my template Mica also has one, it was cut out of alum sheet and painted black, looked almost factory.
Only thing is dont try mount the EGT in spot closer to you, it needs a bit more room, so put it in the middle,,on my gauges anyway,,.
The template is free and you have find about 3 bucks worth of alum. so its a nice install and saves you 40 bucks over the pods.

PS the pods came from genos garage web site.
Heres the link to my gallery, it seems the links in the posts is MIA
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=25705
loch, you the man.......that shore look stock to me!

How is the visibility going down the road,compared to the Pillar mount!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its as good as the pillar, the top gauge in the pillerwas almost to high, between making the plate and soldering the indicator bulb wires to old message center plug it took a total of about 3 hours.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 AM

Chass, the gauge you are refering to is electric. they have a much smaller probe. the mech probe is huge, but i wanted a full sweep gauge, so i went with the mech.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks guys, youy have been exremely helpful.