Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow chains

looking for some feedback on chains for snow/ice.

application...
not intended for a plow truck or service type vehicle. So not used commercially. Just to have in truck if I have to travel in poor dangerous weather.

i recently heard that the Z pattern is not as strong for front drive axles...? true or?

i am imagining the parallel type chains ride quality are a bit aggressive on streets with less than a dusting (i realize, you're not suppose to drive on dry roads)

i want to get set up with front and rears (rear, just single)

235 85 16 what i'm running.

thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jj3500
looking for some feedback on chains for snow/ice.

application...
not intended for a plow truck or service type vehicle. So not used commercially. Just to have in truck if I have to travel in poor dangerous weather.

i recently heard that the Z pattern is not as strong for front drive axles...? true or?

i am imagining the parallel type chains ride quality are a bit aggressive on streets with less than a dusting (i realize, you're not suppose to drive on dry roads)

i want to get set up with front and rears (rear, just single)

235 85 16 what i'm running.

thanks
Thread running on just that in the first gens section right now.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2/#post3268047
Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
A few years ago I was looking for chains since I was planning a trip up over a potentially snowy/icy mountain pass towing a TT. Because most passenger car/truck chains aren't built to withstand the stress of towing, I ordered some specific for that reason. A square link across the tread in a straight ladder pattern.

I also ordered some diamond pattern cables for one of the trailer axles. Turns out I never needed them but in saying that, I did use the chains when I was up in the mountain snow while towing a flatbed trailer loaded with a whole lot of wood. Chains did a fantastic job and only ran them on the rear axle too.

Since I have these chains already I probably wont ever bother getting anything else, but I have to say that given how much easier and simpler some of the quick cables can be to put on and take off, I think I'd rather have a set of those if I didn't have a trailer behind me.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I have a set of the old Weed V-bar chains. Very aggressive. The only time I ever used them was to pull someone out of a snow bank. Some states they make you put them on weather you need them or not.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've probably got the same ones. They are 10 yr old at least. I usually use them once or twice a year.

Tip:
Get a pair of long cuff rubber gloves. They work great when putting the chains on in the snow.
Also get a handful of heavy rubber bungy cords. I put them on really tight so the chain links don't flop around as much.
I also put the chains in a plastic box and spray WD 40 over them.