Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty II Air dam.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scotty II Air dam.

I know there aren't many of us left out there with one of these systems. But I remember seeing a set of pics of an air dam in the cowl vent system to help control in cab noise. I have some sound deadening material left over and wanted to make one of these so I can use the cowl hole towing. As it stands with the S300, its too much noise for the passengers under load and I have to plug it off. Sorta defeats the purpose.

Ideas or links welcome...LOL

J-eh..
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember that to. I've still got mine. I love that thing.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

hopefully somebody will respond. Mine gets pretty annoying with the 2nd hole cut...
Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 PM

Man that sucker is going to sound like a caddy after your done.... except from the outside Everyone that rides in my truck thinks my turbo is going to puke its guts, I love my scotty....

all kidding aside why not just sound deaden the cab part of the cowl and the bottom, the sound is a reasonating sound more than anything, I would think a dam would slighty reduce noise but sound deadener would kill it better from getting through the cowl into the cab.
J
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup luv'n my scotty with a 4" hole, biggest comment is still "sounds like a 747 on take off"
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Chapter President

Well I can't seem to lay my hands on any photos, I will have to formulate a design. I am just a little unsure of the inlet to the A/C system position so I can still get a good amount of air for the SAII and block off the noise to the vents.

GW, I was going to use some of my left over B-Quiet Ultimate to line the cowl bottom and cab side, then have a metal deflector vertically up to the grill on the cowl vent cover also covered with B-Quiet..

I like the turbo sound, don't get me wrong, but the S300 doesn't come with a nifty silencer ring, so the tone is pretty harsh when towing. Its right at the audible whistle stage around 12-14 psi and just drills into your head. Empty I am either under or over it so its not even a concern.

The less noise makes it easier to ride in, both for play and work. Less fatigue, happier passengers.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 AM

make sure to post your pics as if it works I will be copying the design
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
..I like the turbo sound, don't get me wrong, but the S300 doesn't come with a nifty silencer ring, so the tone is pretty harsh when towing.
Not the solution you are looking for, but the TAG II will solve all your problems and allow you to leave the Scotty Hole open.
For that matter, a TAG I will also work, but requires opening up the throat on your S300 a bit!
I did this on my KSB-1 (older S300) and it was very comfortable... noise-wise. All this was before they developed the TAG II.
Just an alternate solution for your consideration.

RJ
Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by RowJ
Not the solution you are looking for, but the TAG II will solve all your problems and allow you to leave the Scotty Hole open.
For that matter, a TAG I will also work, but requires opening up the throat on your S300 a bit!
I did this on my KSB-1 (older S300) and it was very comfortable... noise-wise.
Just an alternate solution for your consideration.

RJ
Hmm, that sounds interesting... How much machining work is involved?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM

I had my new KSB-1 shipped to me, by way of Dave Mehan (TAG developer). It was before he came out with the TAG II and his first time fitting the TAG to an S300! So I was not involved.

Would have to pull the turbo, of course, but cutting the inside throat wider (about 1" deep) should not be a big chore. He left at least 1/2 of the side walls as I recall...and the throat walls are quite thick.

The TAG I is designed to fit inside the throat of the HX-35... so by comparing/measuring your, to one of those, you could get a good idea of what's needed.

RJ
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Chapter President

It looks to me now that the Tag II or Tag III fit into the hose instead so it should work without any mods to the turbo.... I might have to call DPP and see what they say... Thanks RJ...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 PM

TAG II fits into the throat. Has a tapered end...one size fits all. You just strap a band clamp (provided) over the outside of the air intake to hold the TAG II in place! Glad I could help.

Good Luck.

RJ
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Chapter President

I think I may give this a shot...Certainly better than pulling the whole cowl apart on the weekend. I don't have alot of downtime as I use the truck for work, so this 10 minute install would be the ticket... Hmmmm..
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 PM

what a TAG II worth?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Chapter President

From the original maker at DPP, $129 USD... Not bad really if it does the trick.

Quick Reply: Scotty II Air dam.