Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

REBUILD MY 47RE tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydro,

These guys sell and mfg transmission parts, and rumor has it, they Mfg. some of the DTT stuff (Torque convertor is what I remember seeing)...

I plan on doing the same as you, just looking for a cheap donor tranny

http://www.tcsproducts.com/services/milling.asp
Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM

Harry, you're confused..before the 47RE was the 47RH...the difference is in the amount of electronic control devices (the RE having more)...these trannies are probably the simplest trannies out there which makes them quite inviting to rebuild yourself given the time, the tools and a good service manual....i would however invest in a very tough TC..im really looking into a triple disk design...i think then you'll be better off than anything ...because if the valve body and seals and everything is gonna be stock in the rebuild then you have a good holding TC which wont require much higher line pressures....you should then be good to go

ps...i would love to get a fully done tranny for 4000$ after this one croaks one day but i dont have any of these tranny companies anywhere by where i live so i gotta find someone who has a triple disk design in my area (anyone know by the way? )
Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM

well I was going to rebuild a transmission to my specks..and thought I could save a few grand..they are not as hard to rebuild as they were 20 years ago to rebuild a auto tranny
but I found a place that will rebuild..pull and build a 1000 HP tranny and put in a large oil pan and he will not put in a new transmission without a new larger cooler for the transmission

This is what he will do for me..a torque converter my specks, a transmission with all HD parts and shift kit I want or he suggests to put in..a new billet flex plate...a new tail shaft to hold the power..and all new disks than can also hold the power...and put in a additive he uses for his race transmissions or if I want I can get synthetic oil..it is my choice..but he suggests the additive and the purple oil product
also I will be able to go Manuel or full auto with a a switch and also the gages to monitor everything..and if I want to add a exhaust brake it will not be much more to add on..and he gives me 1 year warranty or 45,000 miles
up to 1000 HP
and all for less than $3500.00 installed...and it takes him 3 days to do the job..so he said I can have him pull the tranny and then have the truck pulled out of the shop to have anything extra added to my engine like a new oil pan exhaust for the new turbo and the exhaust brake..the air the extra filter and pump for my oil and new cam plate and injectors and new springs for the 7100fuel pump...and the new intercooler...so when he puts in the new transmission I will be ready to go..he will hand me the trans cooler to add on when I pull the old inter-cooler off..that way he said he will drop the price a bit...because I can save him the time and the removal of the parts...and I can locate the cooler in a better spot with the front end off
so for less than 6 grand I will be ready to pull anything I want and get great mileage and cooler running diesel...that is less than most places just charge for the transmission and torque converter by it's self
so I would look around for a small shop..that does race transmisions...not one of those large shops they they are the best...the same goes with all the parts and labor....sometimes they give you a break if you put here name on the truck if it goes into compitision...the smaller places take there time and they work on it as if it is there stuff...and do not want it to come back and they get a bad name...I found my paint shop..and have just traded some of my work for his..and my whole truck was repainted and things added all for free..just because I can build his computer equipment and do his electronics..and his satellite work for the house...I get a engine work done the same way..I only pay the wholesale price on the parts and pay no labor...now to find me a air suspension guy and a interior guy I can trade work to get some custom work done for nothing
times are hard with diesel fuel at over 4 bucks a gallon..I am going to start making my own..I found a place that I can pick up all there oil for free because all 12 of there stores have to pay to have it removed...and I will do it for free...so I can make fuel as low as 40 cents a gallon...at 100 gallons a day with a small system...that is more than enough for me..and sell the extra...then buy a bigger system...so building a transmission is what you want to do...or make trades to get the same thing...at less money and less
hassle it is up to you
Old 03-16-2008, 05:52 PM

You most certainly can rebuild a 47re yourself, I did mine and its holding up great. The OD spring is the only part of the rebuild that I had to make a tool for the rest was just regular tools if you have a decent range of tools. Personaly I would buy a valve body from the same place you get your TC. I have'nt installed a shift kit myself but have driven trucks with shift kits and I don't think they compare to a well built VB. I bought my TC & VB from Goerend's and Dave gave me alot of very helpful advice. For me that was worth the extra $ over the deals I could find elsewhere. And his stuff is Edit. And the satisfaction factor is huge.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mr T
rebuilding a 47RE might be tough due to it being electornically controlled...a 47RH shouldnt be a monstrous issue given a very good manual and a clean working area and lots of free weekends!...the kits themselves cost about 200$ doesnt include a TC...good luck give it a try!! some guys will try and discourage you because rebuilding trannies is great for business...parts are dirt cheap and they can mark up alot of labour hours...but DO expect your first time rebuild to have trouble with it and might have to go back in there 2 or 3 times

GOOD LUCK

Andrew

I would like to comment on the "some guys will try and discourage you because rebuilding trannies....... ect"

I feel that there is a reason that Automatic transmissions, and Manual transmissions are rebuilt by certified technicians. I also feel their is a reason these people get paid $50-100+ Labor rates. There is a reason why the ATRA is what it is, there are reasons why there are certifications that must be passed, schooling to attend, ect.

No I am in no way bashing anyones mechanical skills but I suggest leaving a transmission build to a builder.
I've seen HANDFULLS of transmissions being brought to our shop that was attempted to be rebuilt by the owner and they screwed up.
There are a lot of tricks to the trade, a lot of knowledge to be had when you've built hundreds of the same transmission.
I feel if YOU invest in the parts yourself, YOU pull the transmission and then take it to a transmission builder in your area with a good REP you will save yourself some $$ and be able to sleep at night knowing it was assembled right.

There are many gaskets, snap-rings, thrust washers, bearings, ect that change throughout the years and you have to make sure you've got the right one.

(This part does not apply for 47RH/RE, but transmissions in general). In some o/h kits they include all of the VB gaskets for all the different designs through the year, whose to say you wouldn't pick the wrong one? Check *****, what if they fall out and you forget where they go? Valvebody seperator plates, what if the holes are worn out? Dissassmebling the VB itself, all the valves, ect..

I'm just trying to say, yes A) It might look easy, B) It might be easy? but THERE is a reason why there are transmission techs/mechanics on this earth, and it isn't a scam.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM

trans rebuild

I rebuilt my auto about 1 year ago. I did buy a DTT built valve body instead of trying a shift kit. I had never been inside an automatic before. I have the factory manual the ATS manual and I bought a video for Torqueflite transmission teardown. You do have to buy or make a few tools. The front clutch compressor, a spring compressor tool used in a hyd press for the overdrive section, and set up guages for the re assembly of the overdrive unit. I also made up some bushing install tools to help push in a couple of bushings. I could take pictures and post if need be. There is a set up shaft for doing the overdrive, but you can use the intermediate shaft instead. Worked fine for me.
Would I do the job again? Yup. I feel pretty good about completing the task. You do need time and a clean place to work. Second time around the job would go faster, first go constantly flipping through the service manual etc.
I think a do able job for a home mechanic.
Alan