Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

REBUILD MY 47RE tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REBUILD MY 47RE tranny

i just bought a used 47re tranny from a 95 3500, i've been told it shifts through the gears fine and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. i paid $235 for it, i feel i got a pretty good deal on it. I plan on rebuilding it and getting a heavy duty TC for it that way i'll have the least amount of down time as possible. It sure seems like though if your buying parts for our Dodge Diesel's the parts are 3 times as much as other trucks! I'm still confused as to what converter to buy. The ATS TC sounds the best, there seems to also be several other triple converters too, but then there's Diesel Trans that says the triple is a bad idea! What do i believe? I'm also looking to try and rebuild this tranny myself because i'm poor or cheap or just take pride in doing things myself, i think it's "D" all of the above. Where's a good place to get parts so that i won't be ripped off? transmissioncenter.com sells rebuild kits and sells a clutch kit and other parts that reads, " Fits Dodge 518 / 618 / 46RE / 46RH / 47RE / 47RH, 1994 - 2002"
sounds like i can order parts that would fit a 518 or 618 tranny and they'll fit right into my 47re. why would i think to do this? because parts for 518 and 618 trannies are way cheaper than the 47re. am i right? you tell me? thanks! oh yeah, how hard is it going to be to rebuild this tranny and how difficult is it to rework a valve body? what am i paying for when i dish out $500 for an after market VB? should i just buy one, or can i modify one? okay, i'll really stop now...
just one more thing
Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 PM

I was thinking of doing this myself..

Buying a used trans and rebuilding it at my leisure.. Then having a local trans shop drop it in.

Anyone attempt this? Would I be in over my head?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:50 PM
I think I can... I think...

Can you double check that link?
transmissioncenter.com didn't work when I tried it.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The four or five popular transmission rebuilders mentioned frequently on this forum have put years into design and testing and mucho dinero to come up with their product, and they still fail occasionally. How can you guys even come close? If you ask if you are over your head you are already ten feet deep, never been inside a transmission. You could buy the best of all the parts available and install them but are they compatable and have you spent more than the cost of a good rebuilt and what is the correct line pressure and what is the leak rate? I am a mechanical engineer and have rebuilt engines and restored cars for myself and others but leave the transmissions to the experts.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

I've been waiting to do the same, I have the spare 47RE outside too. Mine was a chrysler warranty take out from a shifting problem & had about 1000 miles on it. Still going with the trans center deal though. True, shops out there do research and develop good products. This site has updated hard parts too. There's a stage 3 kit that I'm going to get soon that comes with all the good stuff I need, and rated at 700 gas hp. I looked for a while too, Suncoast has almost this same kit available too. Read the manual first, there's a spring in the overdrive section(I'm pretty sure that's where it is) that has to be pressed out to release the retaining clip, it has about 800 pounds of pressure on it. If I have trouble, I can take it to the trans shop I got it from.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 AM

I HAVE A 1998 & 1/2 DODGE DUALLY, 24V CUMMINS, AUTO. I THINK MY TRANNY
IS A 47RE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME. I HAVE 86K ON THIS TRUCK & HAVE PULLED 30
FOOT FIFTH WHEEL AND HORSE TRAILER A LOT. I POWER FLUSH MY TRANNY EVERY
30K AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM.THIS TRUCK IS STOCK EXCEPT FOR 4 INCH EX-
HAUST KIT.
AM I GOING TO GET MANY MORE MILES ON MY TRANNY OR AM GOING TO HAVE
TROUBLE ANYWAY???

HJH
Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 AM

This is the quandry that I've been wondering about. I just found that site yesterday incidently. But I'm weary of it because I don't know if anyone's dealt with the company. I've rebuilt many transmissions, incidently most have been Ferds, and the c6 I built for a 500hp racecar I had stood up to 3 years of abuse, but I've never tackled a Mopar tranny. The most difficult parts of it is one,,,remembering where everything went, DONT attempt to do it without a service manual. The second part, there's alot of special tools you need to do it right, so figure that into the cost. Basically if you can't afford to do it twice, then wait for your first time. But if you can afford to do it and keep your old tranny as a backup, then go ahead. You'll never learn unless you try it. Of course the best case scenario is if you have someone to help you that's done it before. The money you spend buying a tranny from one of the vendors is money well spent, you're buying customer service, R&D, and a warranty, as well as a new tranny. But I like to do things myself, not to mention I'm poor so it helps in that department as well. Perhaps this is why I have 3 trucks? Only 2 of them move at any given point in time, sometimes only 1 If I could afford to pay 4-5k for a new beefier tranny to be installed I would definately. But alas, champaign taste on a beer budget
Old 02-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MR HYDROSEED

I'm sure it can be done if you pay close attention to ALL the parts and how they come a part. I rebuilt a turbo 400 in my jeep and what I did is bagged each section as I took it a part. What I found as I took it a part was there were parts that looked very close to the same but had sudel differances. You may also need special tool to put it together, I had to make a couple to put mine together. I too am cheap and like a challenge.

Good luck! just stay organized
Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 AM

All depends who you talk to harry.
I have 94000 hard miles on mine, doesnt miss a beat. Ive been knocking on wood every time trans. comes up for a long time.
AS soon as we get some decent weather, I have a ton of stuff to do to my truck, the lockup switch is on the top of the list, so after thats been in for a bit, Ill get a good idea of how this thing will last.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 AM

Be sure and incorporate a brake actuated cutoff in the lockup circuit--and be sure to disengage it asap after you use it! I don't know how many times I've forgotten to disengage and it's hard on everything.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:37 PM

CHARLIE IS YOUR 98 HAVE A STOCK 47RE AUTO TRAN IN IT??

HJH
Old 02-10-2005, 01:08 PM

rebuilding a 47RE might be tough due to it being electornically controlled...a 47RH shouldnt be a monstrous issue given a very good manual and a clean working area and lots of free weekends!...the kits themselves cost about 200$ doesnt include a TC...good luck give it a try!! some guys will try and discourage you because rebuilding trannies is great for business...parts are dirt cheap and they can mark up alot of labour hours...but DO expect your first time rebuild to have trouble with it and might have to go back in there 2 or 3 times

GOOD LUCK

Andrew
Old 02-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Harry, not sure if anyone has told you this yet..

When you type in all capitals on forums and in emails, it is interpreted as the equivalent to yelling if you were talking in person. If you don't want to capitalize, try and go for all lowercase instead.

The 98 should have a 47RE trans in it, yes. As for the mileage you'll get, it's really hard to tell. Seeing as how you have serviced it regularly, you have a much much better chance of having it go a long time. I can speak from personal experience, that not servicing these new transmissions can mean an early death to the tranny. (00 chev blazer puked at 80k. I had never serviced the tranny..)
Old 02-10-2005, 03:07 PM

go for it, i rember a while back when every one said you should not grind a plate, just buy one for 200 plus. and you should pay the pros to build a set of twins instead of building your own. i am a very hands on type person and i don't have 6 or 7k for a full blown tranny, so i will build my own and see how it does.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:13 PM

The transmission in my 98 1/2 dually dodge is a 46RE. What is the difference between the 46RE and the 47RE? And what are the pros and cons of each?

HJH

Quick Reply: REBUILD MY 47RE tranny