Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Prices on Twin Turbo Setups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 600 Megawatts
Probably one of the best combos for the street and towing is a HT3B and your existing HX35. You can get a used HT3B for about $200, and a 14cm non-gated housing for the 35 for $150. Then a couple of 4" SCH 5 elbows for about $10 each, and a few feet of 4" SCH 5 pipe, a bit of welding consumables + some good old fashioned time in the shop.... Humm Looks like about $400 to $500 if you enjoy designing things with your own mind and building things with your own hands.....

Still not sure what exactly $4,500 buys you from the 'PROS', other than a brand new HT3B and some chrome??? So what is the other $3,500 for ????

Kevin

Wow, for $700 I could have a HT3B/ HX35 twin set-up...
I really need to figure out how to weld.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rharveysr
Did you ever call PDR and ask them about the issues that you found with the twins you got????? Seems to me if you were unhappy with the product they(PDR) should have been the first phone call on the list..

Rick
No i wasn't unhappy at all. It wasn't for my own truck it was for a customer where i used to work. I have no problems with the price they charge, they have very generous margins for their dealers. I simply stated my findings because of the quote "big blue" took off their webpage. I have no beef against piers, they make great products that work. All i was saying is that they sell the kit for what people will pay. A few months ago i remember hearing it was about 6 weeks to get a kit. When you are selling them as fast as you can make them there is no reason to charge any less. Lets face it, those canadians know what they are doing!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

Thanks for the enlightnment kyle. I've never seen a piers setup in person so I can only vouch for what I'm told/read.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by kyle@ftlb
I have looked over turbos and parts Piers sent out for 04.5 Dodge - HX40-HT3b Twins and the hx40 was not modified at all to wastegate all 6 cylinders like they claim. The turbo was right out of the box which is fine with an hx40 since they are now VRC balanced at factory. Piers usually upgrades the bearings on the hx40's but then you lose the VRC balancing. Which probably doesn't matter either way. The HT3B was straight out of the box also, no mods. There was no larger wastegate, and the actuator for the hx40 was not even the dual spring design you can get that is similar to a Banks Big Hoss.

They charge what people will pay. The fit and powder coat finish was excellent. They make a good product and you wouldn't be dissapointed if you bought their kit. My only gripe is on the mount you weld up to brace the bottom turbo. I know there has to be a better way to do that.
Kyle,
Something is wrong with this picture? Did you buy the twins or did your customer? Either way I want to know who bought what!! We don't sell stock turbo's. Every turbo we buy we modify in house one way or another!! Did you break down either turbo to see what was stock and what was modified? I doubt it, so how can you say the turbo's were stock? You say they were right out of the box....Not if they were our turbo's, no way. This leads me to believe your not able to tell the difference between a stock turbo and a modified turbo.
We machine, modify and "0" balance all turbo's whether they are for twins or not. When they come to us new they are far from "0" balanced. If we sell a 40 for a single application, the waste gate is not modified but the rest is done. All 35 or 40's are waste gate modified by a larger waste gate bore, flapper and flute drilled. All HT3B's are modified whether for twins or what have you. Could it be the customer had already bought our HX40 for a single application or someone elses turbo or turbo's and just bought the rest of the kit? This happens all the time as customers say they already have this or that and we will take those parts out of a kit and sell the rest.
You also mention that the 40 had no larger waste gate and not even a dual spring actuator? Again you are showing your lack of technical knowledge toward twins and diesel performance. Why would you want a dual spring actuator, when you don't want to hold the waste gate shut even as long as a stock charger setup!! You want the actuator opening at 23psi, NOT 30psi+ as with a single turbo.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing your a Banks dealer by the comment of the big hoss actuator. Why would anyone spend 5 times the $$$ on one of those when a $35 boost elbow will do the same job for a single application?

Give me a call thursday ( I will be away from the office fri and mon) and we can get to the bottom of this.

Mark
PDR
Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
DTR Advertiser

Hey Mark,

NO 4 day weekends allowed

Don~
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Don,
Some one has to cheer on Dale Jr at Vegas raceway this weekend. He was slower than a 3 legged dog in a grey hound race last year. I can hear the bells ringing now!!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nascar mark
I could be wrong but I'm guessing your a Banks dealer by the comment of the big hoss actuator. Why would anyone spend 5 times the $$$ on one of those when a $35 boost elbow will do the same job for a single application?
I've been wondering this for years...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Muted User

Originally posted by nascar mark

We machine, modify and "0" balance all turbo's whether they are for twins or not. When they come to us new they are far from "0" balanced. If we sell a 40 for a single application, the waste gate is not modified but the rest is done. All 35 or 40's are waste gate modified by a larger waste gate bore, flapper and flute drilled. All HT3B's are modified whether for twins or what have you. Could it be the customer had already bought our HX40 for a single application or someone elses turbo or turbo's and just bought the rest of the kit? This happens all the time as customers say they already have this or that and we will take those parts out of a kit and sell the rest.
You also mention that the 40 had no larger waste gate and not even a dual spring actuator? Again you are showing your lack of technical knowledge toward twins and diesel performance. Why would you want a dual spring actuator, when you don't want to hold the waste gate shut even as long as a stock charger setup!! You want the actuator opening at 23psi, NOT 30psi+ as with a single turbo.
PDR
I didn't say that you didn't modify the HX40, because i assumed that it had the upgrade bearings and modified oil grooves. I just mentioned the In talking with Holset they have said that they have had been having customers not break as mean when they haven't tore them open and modified them. As the process in which they are balanced from the factory is better then the used to be years back. I was wrong in what i originally posted about not wastegating both sides. There is a spacer that is open and can pass exhaust between the two. I had heard that there HT3B has an oring groove cut into the compressor housing and was reminded of that today so it is modified also.

I mention the dual spring actuator because it holds the gate closed longer to prevent blow by. And i'm not talking about the banks one. In the single turbos i sell i have upgraded to this actuator from Holset that is better than the regular ones. You are right it is not needed if you are opening at 23psi. But not everyone opens their gate that early on a twins setup. You are correct it is not important on a twin setup and i dont know why i mentioned it. I have never bought a Banks actuator or reccomended them to someone so dont try slamming me like i dont have an knowledge of diesel performance. And i do know what a modified turbo looks like if i were to take it apart. I worked with turbos for a few years before starting out on my own.

Like i said before it was a nice kit, looks and function and people wouldn't be disappointed with it. In re reading my earlier comments i couldn't believe i said the claims i did in the way i did. I apoligize to Piers for not being factual.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

the way I see the twin kits is:

they're expensive... but you get what you pay for...

you can build your own for a lot cheaper using an HX35 and a cheap HT3B (got mine for $25 ) use the stock exhaust manifold, etc.

but, as justin outlined above, if you break down the parts and labor it comes out to be a pretty good deal.

let's put it this way, if I had the money laying around, I'd gladly cough it up!

but I don't... so I'm building my setup for about $600 including the external wastegate

Forrest
Old 03-10-2005, 01:47 PM

No harm Kyle. I just wanted to set things right as we take great pride on delivering what we claim.

P.S. We open the waste gate at a low psi so the primary charger pulls it's share of the load.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
The Guru

So Mark did ya ever get that truck of your to run? Just joking, you guys sell and build a nice twin kit. I felt that it was money well spent, as I could have never built a twin set-up that works as well as the PDR kit does. My only beef, is no instructions and you have to build your own 3b turbo support bracket.
You guys gonna have a dyno show this spring as I want to show up your TDI ride.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 AM

I thought about twins and priced a few different sets a while back. useing your stock turbo and just buying the second turbo and all the pipeing J.R Adkins came out with the lowest price. that was even installed on the truck for less than what other wanted just to send me the stuff and I do it myself!!!
DM01
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM

IMHO from 1st hand experience
Installing my piers kit = 15hrs ( 2 honest days in the shop and the truck down)
After installing and owning a twin set would I atempt to make my own? No way.
If you have the resources to the piping,welder,powder coating,fittings for oil and water lines, turbos,ATS manifolds,flanges,gaskets, and many other tried and tested pieces you could probably make your own set up and save some money?How long is this all going to take you to dream up all the angles and fabricate all the flanges? If you used comparable items and products, included the down time on your truck the savings wouldnt be much. The ATS manifold costs more than what some have claimed they could build them for so its not really comparing apples to apples so to speak. Does the length and size of the piping make any performance difference? Do you have access to dyno time to see if your design works? These are some of the things you must consider. There are some with the resources and know how that will build their own sets and should be commended on their efforts. For the rest of us the ready to go kits are the way to go.
I cant comment on the other kits as I have only owned the Piers set but it was top quality with great fit and finish and it works.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Mike Holmen
So Mark did ya ever get that truck of your to run? Just joking, you guys sell and build a nice twin kit. I felt that it was money well spent, as I could have never built a twin set-up that works as well as the PDR kit does. My only beef, is no instructions and you have to build your own 3b turbo support bracket.
You guys gonna have a dyno show this spring as I want to show up your TDI ride.
Trucks been running just fine for over a year. Maybe too good
We are working on instructions and we have always supplied the ht3b support but the customer will have to weld support in place due to small variences between truck to truck.

We haven't nailed down a dyno date but you better be able to lay down more than 180fwhp and 300ftlbs with your TDI, as my wifes Golf is above that now. Time for a clutch as it is done.