Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front Coils recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Coils recommendation

I want to level the front up with new coils, has anyone used either of these

http://customsuspension.com/store/pr...roducts_id=753

or

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Any recommendations?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I have not used any but have been looking very hard at these www.koreperformance.com
Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 AM

i have the skyjacker D25 coils on my ride, a great look, and they weret bad to put on.
If its warm, Ill finally be putting new shocks on this weekend, evenwith the old ones, a nice ride compared to stock.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Muted User

i am running the skyjacker d25 coils also. truck sits real nice and rides great..
Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Try these guys.....http://www.coilsprings.com/

They make the coils for KORE (or at least they did). I have a set of their coils I got through Deaver spring, but you can go direct to CSS. You can spec them at any ride height and spring rate.

Price was very reasonable and the coils work great. They're softer than stock and no hint of sag in 1 1/2 years.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I vote for KORE/CSS springs. The D25s can't hold a candle to them.

I'll be so bold as to say that those who think the D25s are a great spring, don't know what a great spring is. Yes, the D25s are cheap and do the job, but if quality and performance matter, then steer clear of the D25s.

I've posted at length on this before, so you can find the posts searching my name and "D25".

Justin
Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valley Spring Works in Dixon, CA is known for making good stuff. Local to No.Cal if that helps.
Happy with my Skyjackers, they are better than stock, but I will be looking to upgrade springs and shocks soon. Knowing CSS makes/made the KORE springs helps, I NEED more than 2.5 inches of lift, it's essential for my need to compensate for other short comings!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those css springs, I called and asked how tall are they over stock ( worried about a hard install) and he told me their the same height. My next question was , how do ya get 2 inch lift then?? He said their thick and dont sag as much with the trucks weight on them. Well I'm thinking "harsh ride " if this it true. Anyone have any experince with them???
Old 03-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by caper
those css springs, I called and asked how tall are they over stock ( worried about a hard install) and he told me their the same height. My next question was , how do ya get 2 inch lift then?? He said their thick and dont sag as much with the trucks weight on them. Well I'm thinking "harsh ride " if this it true. Anyone have any experince with them???
HOHN's post explains it perfectly......exactly the opposite of harsh ride.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:28 AM

I've used both D25's and CSS springs on two different trucks. The CSS's ride a little better. Handling with the D25's and CSS's is about the same, on highway and off. Handling depends more on other factors, like what you've done about the infamous front end and steering issues Dodges have. Durability? Both have held up nicely on the rugged dirt roads and trails I run almost every day.

In my experience, the D25's have more value, although the CSS's are a little better. Anyone who tells you differently needs to turn down the timing box -- too much smoke.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...706#post608706

Here's my earlier post on the D25s. It's long, but explains why they aren't a very good spring.

Justin
Old 03-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Excellent post Justin! (Hohn)
Old 03-10-2005, 08:26 PM

HOHN, that's an excellent post, and I can see your concern. But I'm very puzzled. I bought my D25's from National Tire two years ago. Other than the bright red paint, they're not like yours.

I count seven windings in your D25's, including the cap winding on either end. I also see variable spacing between the upper windings and the lower windings. The windings on my D25's are nine in number, and there's little variation in the spacing between the upper and lower windings.

NT did sell them to me as D25's. Friend of mine bought D25's for his 2500 CTD about a month later. Called him, and he counted -- nine windings on his, too.

Did the manufacturer change the specs? Or did we get the "wrong" (read "right") springs?

btw, in two years pounding across dirt roads and trails in Nevada and West Virginia, my D25's haven't sagged more than a quarter-inch, if that. If it wasn't for the air bags I use on the rear, my front would still be slightly higher than my rear. Same with my friend's truck, although he's more on the pavement than I am.

This is a little strange.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 AM

I went to the CSS website and asked for a quote on replacement springs that were about 1.5" taller and much stiffer than OEM last Wed / Thur... and still no response. I used their online form for quotations. A bit disappointing.

I don't want taller because it tweaks the geometries of so many other things too much IMO. Especially when it comes to death wobble and front driveline shake possibilities.

Steve
Old 03-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Why would ou want "much stiffer"? That'll do more to wear out front end components than a couple inches of lift. No to mention your ride quality is gonna

Give CSS some time.....they took about a week or so to get back to me.

Quick Reply: Front Coils recommendation