Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Power through a Stock Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power through a Stock Auto

Well after running the juice for a while now on my stock tranny I am starting to wonder how long my tranny will last. So I would like to know who all is running HP mods on an auto tranny? And how many miles? Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my advice is not to run to long on a stock tranny with even minor modifications, you prolly noticed the super soft sloppy shifts by now.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

I've got well over 400hp on my stock auto. I did put a DTT VB and double deep tranny pan on it though. Mine's holding great. It's got 109,700 miles on it and they are very rough. No towing though but lots of full throttle launches, a couple of boosted launches, lock up switch, drag racing, etc. A new VB should hold your juice very easily. Talk to Stefan at DTT and see what he had to say. When I first got mine I had a comp and 275 injectors and he told me that it would hold it no problem and he was right. I think these auto's are tougher than people let on if you build them right and don't overly abuse them.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
GSP

I installed a SMR VB kit on my '99. If you are mechanicaly inclined enough you can do your own VB .
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

I agree. VB's are very simple to install, just very intimidating. I went ahead and paid to have mine done cause while I trust myself doing other things, tranny work is definately not in my range of expertise. At least not on my daily driver.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
GSP

I built my own VB with the smr kit. I worked in a trans shop years back though. Its not that hard. Just need a large clean work bench and be careful/patient and take your time. There is a couple check ***** you need to be aware of so you dont loose them or forget where they came from. But all that is in the instructions. Plus its cool doing it your self, you see and read how things work. I left out the step that raises the rpm shift point because its a diesel .
Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM

I had minor mods as well. Added a Smarty and was in the Tranny shop a few days later. Smarty on 9 will kill your tranny dead in a hurry.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 PM

valve body

I called DTT the other day to talk about getting valve body for my 99. I have 275s and the EZ and my tranny is starting to slip when towing a 4500 # trailer. DTT told me that would sell me a valve body if I really wanted to do this but advised against it until I could to the whole update. They said with the number of miles on my truck (114k) they did not want to put too much added line pressure in without replacing some seals. Anyone else had this experience???
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

They are for the most part right about that......they don't want to overstrain a partially worn out tranny. Adding more line pressure if the tranny already has problems can cause it to go even quicker not to mention if it does go, the chances of ruining your brand new VB is pretty good.

If you're not hard on the tranny and just want some firmer shifts......it's not a bad idea, but if you are planning on hot rodding it and racing...I wouldn't recommend it!!

~Nick
Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
the chances of ruining your brand new VB is pretty good.

~Nick
How is that going to ruin the VB?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Well if pieces of the clutches or something come off and get lodged in there somehow or something like that.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:21 AM

Yes, but that will not ruin it, you might have to take it apart and clean it. Might plug up the governor, but.....

Now if you destroy the tranny and keep driving for miles and miles it might wear out the TV bore---but it would not happen overnight.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Well if pieces of the clutches or something come off and get lodged in there somehow or something like that.
Exactly....if pieces of your tranny break and it gets in the fluid......all the fluid flows through the VB and will get lodged in there and stands a good chance of doing some damage!!

I think Tylers tranny is just pure evil and has crazy super powers or something!!!

~Nick
Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 AM

just get a tranny! your gonna need it in the long run anyway, why do a little bit and eventually have to do it again. plus a tranny with a valvebody is no longer stock.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Exactly....if pieces of your tranny break and it gets in the fluid......all the fluid flows through the VB and will get lodged in there and stands a good chance of doing some damage!!

I think Tylers tranny is just pure evil and has crazy super powers or something!!!

~Nick
I would have to say a small chance at best.

Quick Reply: Power through a Stock Auto