Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this possible?

I have little to no knowlege when it comes to turbos but everyone say you have to choose between spooling fast for tow or have lag for more top end even on twins. So unless I am misundertanding the twin setup is it possible to run three turbos - one small for fast spooling , one for mid range and the last one is for massive top end can some one explain why this can or can't work thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 AM

anyone? If it is possible then you could have the ultimate setup
Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Everything is possible. I have seen 3 turbo setups but, none that ever worked like they were supposed to.

What you are talking about is staged turbos and I don't think they are going to lite exactly like you think. The idea of the compound turbos is that the larger turbo feeds a lot of forced air to the smaller turbo increasing its efficiency without doing all the work.

Now days turbos are so much better that unless you have a super wicked truck and pulling super big loads I don't see why a single wouldn't work for you. Yes twins are nice but, they have their issues as well.

These new turbos have come a long way in the last few years.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
The Guru

Flatbed, you talking about you're truck, all you require is a single turbo. Looking at you're list, you're still pretty much stock. Twin turbo are staged together (one into the other) or compounded together to increase boost pressure and mass air flow. Kinda like a twin stage air compressor, high pressure is available.

I aggree with the earlier statement, twins aren't really required unless your pushing high HP and tow heavy. If you're racing just about everyone uses NOS these days, so twins aren't required as much any more. The real benieft for twins is that you can run a larger turbo than you could as a single (more mass flow). The pressure curve also comes up sooner with twins and this reduces egt's. Most singles I find run hot on the egt's, until you add a large primary. Of course my truck is only slightly modified. I could run a single, but it would be nasty laggy smokey beast, with high egt's. Of course someone else will run what I have and say that it hardly smokes running a single. With twins I have towed heavy, pulling hills and gone as large as 155RWHP sticks, with some egt's. 125's work nice with my twins and you can stop watching the pyro on the hills.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:01 PM

thanks for the replies. I do plan to have a very wicked truck hopefully around the 700hp mark on fuel only with a vp. I don't plan to upgrade to twins until a get a more aggressive fuel curve using machs. I do tow up to 25,000#'s on the summer months and don't want a setup that I can't tow with but I don't want to give up top end that way I can stomp the crap out of these turboed rice burners around town.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
The Guru

700rwhp is pretty much max for a VP truck. You should look at twins for that kinda of power and if you want to street drive it.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Yeah! 700Hp on a vp is going to be kinda tricky! But it can be done! If i can get 650+ by next year ill be happy!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM

I am going for twins but I was just wondering why you can't go tripples to cover all rpm range from low to high. Does anyone have a good setup for twins that can still be towed with and give me the top end I need
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
The Guru

Just about any decent diesel turbo shop should be able to set you up with a set of twins. I think that BD towing twins are about as cheap as you can find. Do an ebay or try a few online parts shops. You might even be able to find a used set-up. The max HP that I have ever pulled was 673rwhp, so close but a mountain step away from 700rwhp. There's been a few trucks at 700rwhp running a VP, but... You're running a stick, just P pump it, tons of fuel available in that type of pump. Twins and decent flowing sticks you should be close, with a worked P pump, you'll be close to 600-700rwhp area. Find a 913 (215HP) pump, this pump almost stock can supply 700rwhp could be done.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Thanks again for the replies, I thought about p pumping it but not sure if that's the way I want to go