HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Possible air lock? or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible air lock? or what?

I change my fuel filter every 8000 miles. I currently have 157K miles on it. I have gotten bad fuel 2x and had to change the filter sooner. The truck started running like it was getting no fuel. It would then die and start coasting and come right back on. I changed the fuel filter and bumped the starter 4x. The lift pump is working and I have good pressure, but no fuel at the inj pump. When the lift pump pressures up and shuts off, I can hear what sounds like pressurized fuel returning back to a place of lesser resistance (fuel tank?). ??? I cracked the #1 line and still not getting fuel. Called tow truck. Guy shows up 3 hours later and asks if I tried starter fluid. I said &quot;no way&quot;. &gt; I have heard many horror stories about using it on the CTD. I finally gave in to peer pressure and the **** thing started on the 1st try. I ran it 300 miles with not a glitch and the same thing happened again. Is there a solenoid shut-off or check valve that could be plugged between the lift pump and injection pump? <br>BTW - When I change the fuel filter I put a small amount of &quot;FILTERED&quot; diesel in the fuel bowl after swiping the bowl out. I have never noticed it before, but this time I noticed that there is a ledge around the inside of the filter housing. There are small holes around this edge. Thru the holes nearest the firewall, there are what appear to be small pieces of aluminum or steel. They look like small shavings from a CNC machine or lathe. Pieces of my last lift pump ????<br>I have the truck at Longhorn Dodge in Ft. Worth, but they wont start on it until Monday. <br>Any help?
Old 03-15-2003, 08:56 PM

Re:Possible air lock? or what?

Check the fuel cut off sylenoid on the back of the pump.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:01 AM

The metal sound's like lift pump shaving's. As far as starting fluid, I havn't had to do it yet,BUT, disconnect the wire's to the heater between the intake and the manifold, then give short blast of starter fluid. Should work like a champ. Somebody key in if I'm wrong.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:38 AM

Yep: that's the way with the starter fluid. You should NOT shoot straight into the air intake, but across the intake while trying to start.