Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Possible new 5ver, Got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new 5ver, Got some questions...

Unfortunately the fall camper show was this past weekend and we got too see all the new '03 QUAD-SLIDE 5vers! They are awesome! ;D So the fiance likes two models in particular: first one is a Presidential by Holiday Rambler &amp; the second is a Hitchhiker (don't remember model). Anyhow, both these rigs come in at a whopping 12-13500 dry &amp; a GVW of about 16-17K. I think they were both 36 footers...<br><br>The dilema: I have an auto w/ a 3.54. I also have an Edge Comp. What else do I need to be able to pull one of these bad boys? VB, TC &amp; Injectors? More than that? Less than that? Probably need a new hitch too! Since I only have a Reese 16K hitch now.... pin weight on those were 2000 - 2200. Ok, I can't think of anything else, so help me out guys! She says &quot;whatever it takes, 'cause that's what she wants!&quot; hehe... works for me! ;D<br><br>P.S. -- they have KING SIZE BEDS in them! That was awesome!! and a fireplace too! ;D<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Tony
Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 PM

Re:Possible new 5ver, Got some questions...

Tony:<br> Something just doesn't seem right there. I tow a 14K fiver now with a pin weight of 2600 and use a 15K lil rocker. No trouble. 15 K is the tow weight of the trailer, in your case 16K. I have never seen a 16K trailer with a pin weight of 2000-2200. I just ordered a 33' Teton with a pin weight of 2730. That's with in spec's for yours or mine. The 16 or 17K would be my worry. For the new trucks that would be close to the limit. <br><br> As for towing with your truck. Tranny fix and go.<br><br>..Preston..
Old 10-08-2002, 07:38 PM

Ooops! Sorry, was a little light! Just looked at the brochure again... Ok, the HitchHiker 35CKQG hitch weight is 2400, 13260 UVW, 16400 GVWR &amp; it's length is 36' 5&quot;. The Presidential 36SKQ hitch weight is 2230, UVW on the one we saw was 13400, GVW is 17000 &amp; it's length is 37' 3&quot;. Hmmm... those numbers still seem light compared to yours?! ??? Interesting, check 'em out on the websites! Maybe i'm an idiot? hehe, but that's what I read! ;D What'cha think?<br><br>Tony<br>
Old 10-09-2002, 07:36 AM

Tony,<br> You will easily pass 22 thou gross combined with either rig.<br> If not a mdt then i'd think the full tranny treatment, an exhaust brake, and the best controller you can get your hands on.<br> You will probably be watching temps real closely at that weight too, especially in hill country.<br> Otherwise, enjoy.<br><br>Bill
Old 10-09-2002, 07:50 AM

MDT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>They do have those with Cummins engines!<br><br>SNOKING
Old 10-09-2002, 08:57 AM

Uhhh... MDT?<br><br>Hopefully the Scotty II will solve the EGT problems! I'm glad it's not very hilly in MI! I only pull down south once a year, so that won't be too bad! Should I do the other tranny upgrades besides the VB &amp; TC? Clutch packs or something like that?? (don't know squat about trannys) Controller? Is that for TC lockup? hehe... i'm an idiot about vehicles! ;D<br><br>Thanks again!<br><br>Tony
Old 10-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

MDT = Medium Duty Truck.<br>You are at or over what the manufacturers limits are with a quad slide 36 ft fiver.<br><br>You will need an exhaust brake, controller for the trailer brakes, hi output washer fluid, George Foreman Grill, and directions to where we can come and help get that new 5er broke in. <br><br>EH
Old 10-09-2002, 10:50 AM

Ahhh, there's always a half-gallon of JD &amp; a fifth of the Captain sailing with us! ;D Everyone's always welcome! ;D Never did bring the Foreman camping though... hahaha... Looks like i'm going to need one of them minnie semis too pull that rig eh? ;D
Old 10-09-2002, 03:07 PM

You need a bigger truck or a smaller 5er.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:29 PM

So *** are you supposed to get to pull all these new monsters??? ;D
Old 10-10-2002, 06:42 PM

Tony:<br> I got the weights on mine from the truck scale. I weighed the truck empty, then with the fiver. The addition on the rear gave me a pin weight of 2640. Now that was with 50 gal's of water. <br><br> And on the controller, that is for the brakes. When you get one of those do not skimp on a cheapo. Get a good one.<br><br>..Preston.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:29 PM

I currently use a Prodigy for my brake controller... is that not good enough? ???
Old 10-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Tony,<br><br>My fiver is about 14,000 dry and empty. Loaded and wet I can hit 16000 - -I could go way over if not careful. You just have to be careful how much you put in it. Use some amount of restraint and some creativeness in what you put in it. Keep it under 16000 and you are good to go with a 2003 3500 HO w/4.10. <br><br>Take the little lady to see a Carriage unit. The construction is excellent. King bed is nice if you are 6&quot;4&quot;. Fireplace??? Had one - - waste of money and storage space. Cute though. You don't want cute in an RV, it must be functional. Personally, I think 3 slides is plenty. Just one more thing to take care of and put in before hitting the road. One of my friends just went back to two slides because of the added bother. The main thing about slides is making sure the kitchen can be used and the bed used with slides in. You can then grab lunch, hit the fridge, use the john, grab some snores without having to put out the slides. Be sure they put the slides in and then contemplate using it like that before buying it. Sure are nice.<br><br>Bob
Old 10-11-2002, 08:57 AM

Tony,<br> Sorry I had to leave in the middle of the discussion. MDT is a medium duty truck, next step up from one ton and just under semi status. They are made by F***, Ch****, International and Freightliner and yes, snoking, I've seen them with the 5.9 although the cat seems to predominate.<br> Tony, the prodigy is a very good controller and will work well. Pulling with the Cummins has never seemed to be a problem. The difficulty is stopping the combined weight. My combination runs just over 17 gross and even with the one ton rear brakes on the truck, a hard stop is a handful.<br> If you're still shopping, I think I'ld look to keep my gross under that 22 k figure. Other than that, keep the Captain handy, and we'll see you on the road.<br>Bill
Old 10-11-2002, 09:24 AM

Appreciate all the responses! It looks like i'm going to be heading out in a few weeks to massdiesel for a DTT TC, VB, update kit, pac brake, smart controller, DDII's &amp; a 4&quot; Exhaust... ;D <br><br>Tony

Quick Reply: Possible new 5ver, Got some questions...