Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pan evac system

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pan evac system

I know it was hashed out here before and forgot all about doing it and its outcome....
Anyways I was digging thru the tool box today and found a one way valve that I used to have on the collecters on my headers. I used to run hoses from the V/C breathers down to them, they were treaded onto a miter cut threaded deal that was welded on a 45. All the gasses and oily drips went straight into the header and were burnt off. Has any one hooked their puke tube up to one? If so how did you route the hose?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forrest had a thread about it a while back. if i remember right he loved it at first, but then it started driping out the tail pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by gunracer1
forrest had a thread about it a while back. if i remember right he loved it at first, but then it started driping out the tail pipe.

Yeah I remember him starting the thread but didnt see the end. When I first seen it I thought what a great idea and knew I had a couple of them left over but totally forgot about it untill now. Didnt he have a excessive amout of blow by though? I will do another search and see if I can find it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if *I* remember correctly, by routing the blow-by to the exhaust you create a venturi effect. as a result, a vacuum is created in the crankcase which puts some gaskets at risk...

someone correct me if i slipped
Old 11-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Forrest wasn't running a check valve, just a tube plumbed in on an angle. That's why he had trouble, at times exhaust pressure would make the motor puke oil. Run a check valve, and put a breather filter up in the valve cover so you don't suck the tappet cover gasket in, and it will work great. I've seen a couple trucks done that way.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Forrest wasn't running a check valve, just a tube plumbed in on an angle. That's why he had trouble, at times exhaust pressure would make the motor puke oil. Run a check valve, and put a breather filter up in the valve cover so you don't suck the tappet cover gasket in, and it will work great. I've seen a couple trucks done that way.

If I put a breather in the VC why couldnt I just remove the tube all together? wouldnt it do the samething?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ratsun

If I put a breather in the VC why couldnt I just remove the tube all together? wouldnt it do the samething?
I'm not sure what you're asking? You need a breather in the valve cover to prevent the check valve in the exhaust from pulling too much vacuum and sucking the tappet cover gasket in, causing an oil leak. Or are you talking about getting rid of the road draft tube altogether and switching to a breather? If you put a breather in the valve cover with no other crankcase ventilation, you will have oily crap all over the motor. That's why the tube dumps down below. With a exhaust - powered system, the breather is there to prevent excessive vacuum, not to provide ventilation. Under load it will only have fresh air coming in, not crankcase gases flowing out. At idle it will probably act more like a traditional breather.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Ok I got yah.Had a brain fart there and was missing a step
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 PM

I've personally seen the Mr Gasket evacuation kit used on a few trucks.

The first one was on Opie's truck back in '01 or '02. He put the valve on the elbow of the down pipe, right after it left the turbo. The hose was run along the passenger side of the engine from the valve, to the breather on the front timing cover.

Dee Rawson used one but I don't know where he plumbed it into the exhaust. He used mini K&N air filters on his valve covers (it's a 12v) to keep from sucking in the engine gaskets. I think he used both valves and I'm sure he must be still running it.

John Harvey and I used a set, and split it between his truck and mine. John plumbed his valve into the down pipe at the very bottom. He ran the hose along the driver side of the engine then over to the valve. I did mine the same way as Opie. Our trucks are '01 HO's.

I don't know if John is still running his, but I ended up taking mine off. My rear main would leak every time I tried the thing. I did check the valve, and it had suction, even at an idle, but I don't think it has enough suction to handle all the blowby..

My suggestion would be to use both valves from the Mr Gasket kit, to make sure all the blowby gets sucked out.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks Bart!
Did you put a breather in the valve cover and did you install the valve at a 45 degree angle to the downpipe or was it at 90 degrees? Sounds like most went down the pass side, I was kinda thinking it might be simpler to go down the drivers side and over the bellhousing to the down pipe? Just to cold to get on my back and look right now
Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks Bart!
Did you put a breather in the valve cover and did you install the valve at a 45 degree angle to the downpipe or was it at 90 degrees? Sounds like most went down the pass side, I was kinda thinking it might be simpler to go down the drivers side and over the bellhousing to the down pipe? Just to cold to get on my back and look right now
My valve is installed at a 45* right on the top curve of the down pipe after the turbo. Just under the firewall. I figured the exhaust flow would be faster on that curve, for a better venturi effect. I ran the hose along the front, and passenger side, of the valve cover. Looked like a factory installation. Didn't use any kind of breather, but a little air came in through a modified oil filler cap. John Harvey installed his about the same way you're talking. His valve is on the drivers side of the very bottom of the down pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 PM

Great thanks for the info
With the twins theres not much room down the pass side so...
I think I will wait to install this thing untill I can pick up a couple of breathers and install them into the valve cover. Glad I asked the pros before I found out the hard way.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Great thanks for the info
With the twins theres not much room down the pass side so...
I think I will wait to install this thing untill I can pick up a couple of breathers and install them into the valve cover. Glad I asked the pros before I found out the hard way.
Dee Rawson's truck has twins. His handle is drawson. Maybe you contact him about how he plumbed everything in.