Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

need some advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice!!

ok,, i came up behind a couple of guys draggin the other night as they were just startin... it was a later samuri and a 70's ranger that was hot, running a cobra jet i later found out, but i came up as they started and passed the samuri with ease,, i dunno what he was thinkin,, and i got pretty close to the ranger before he found out i was pullin on him ,, now what i wanna know is how much hp will i need the next time i wanna try that ranger,, i know he's in town a bunch and always gives us boys with cummins a hard time,, and not just jokingly,,,he's flat *** mean about it,,
so i'm wanting to teach him a lesson next time i meet up with him
you guys got any thoughts???
thanks
COWBOY
Old 05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

Ya 10,000 grand should cover it along with everyone else in your town!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:16 PM

ok,,, now i do have a lil bit of money save up for just this ,, and i would like some real advice please..
cowboy
Old 05-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Get a built tranny first. Then some injectors. That will be followed by a bigger turbo. Then you need even bigger injectors and maybe a box. Now you will need twins to keep it cool. The list goes on and on. How much do you want to spend? What kind of box do you have (the name of it)? A smarty is really good for lowend. Once you have your price range, you can get more help.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:49 PM

i have as of right now saved up about $8000,,, that should get me started right??,,, and i have no idea what the brand of box it is,, it has nothing on it, i will have to do some checking on that..
i'm very new to the diesel bombin scene so,, go easy and kinda explain your ideas please,,, i'm still tryin to figure out how all the bombs work,,kinda goin bonkers on how much there is out there for my truck
thanks for the help guys
COWBOY
Old 05-26-2006, 01:51 PM

With 8 grand you should be set on hookin your truck up.
Billet DTT TRanny $4,500-6,000
Edge Drag Comp Box $650
Some new injectors $300-1000
And a good turbo maybe a B-1 Bomber,S300G,HTBG.
And that would probably take care of that ranger.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Banned

Well the tranny is gonna set you back A LOT!!! For a full on git'r done sucker, you're looking around $5K to $6K.......if not more depending on who you go through.

If you're not planning on hard boost launches off the line and stuff like that, then I'd look into a new torque converter and a valve body. That will help lock up the tranny and put the power to the ground. You are looking around $2K to do those.........that's on the high side though.

Now what exactly do you intend to use your truck for??? Daily driving, towing, racing,.......??? The more power you add, the driveability of these trucks goes down hill.........as far as turbo lag and smoking a ton when just driving around town.

Turbos it's all up to you.........the bigger you go, the more lag you will have and it'll be harder to drive in town. The Phat shaft turbos such as the PS62, PS64, and the PS66 are becoming REALLY popular and with big enough injectors such as Mach 4's for example.........you'd probably be somewhere in the mid 400HP range. You are looking over $2K easy and probably closer to $3K.

Also you might want to address the fuel system on your truck. Once you start throwing down that much juice, your Fuel pressure is gonna go in the crapper. There are a couple different options out there....FASS, Bullydog, Scotty......they all work and range from $250 on up to around $500

A cold air intake is gonna be a huge need.........gotta let er' breath........as well as adding a 4" exhaust.........depending on what you go with....you're looking between $400 and $800 together.

~Nick
Old 05-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Gauges First.... Pyro, Boost and Trans Temp. This with an A-pillar is around $275-$300.

I like to reverse build, cause when you buy something, you want to be able to use it rather than let it sit on the shelf until you get the next thing in order to use it.

SO therefor, I reccomend a transmission upgrade. I am not sure where you want to go with your power level, but a good dealer for your tranny and tourque converter would be Dave Goerend. Transmission
Have in mind how far you want to go, cause Dave will blow your mind quick if he starts tellin you what all to do, and in which order. If you give him an idea of how much power you want, he can give you a list to that point, which will be a lot easier to understand. His torque converter also carries a lifetime warranty. Some where around $3000 wihout billet, and as long as your not launching it under a pile of boost, you do not need billet. Overkill, unless pullin the sled, or drag racin...

Now let her breathe a little. Rip Rook sells a great 4" exhaust kit that is cheap compared to a lot of others. It is a quality unit as well.
Exhaust Link

Get a Scotty air intake (search for Scotty Systems) if you want a good intake or on the cheap do a search for BHAF.

Then look at injectors but consider that if you go with a huge set of injectors you will have to consider a turbo to help keep the fuel charge cool.

Good set of mild but Seat of Pants feel injectors would be a set of F1 Mach 1.6's. Do a search for these as well.

Then, in my opinion, I would get a Smarty tuner and a TST box, and stack them together.

I believe this will make for a strong running truck that will blow your little ranger friend off the road, and will also keep it a reliable running truck.

You can search for the items mentioned and have tons of reading up to do on them.

Research and make your own opinion, cause only you know what you want out of your truck. Make your own decision, we can spend your money easily, but these things that I mentioned should not excede $6000. So you still have $2000 left to either BOMB some more, prolly turbo if you ask me (KSB1 is what I would chose) or add to the looks of her. Level and tires and wheels.

Have fun. You are now addicted...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

You can go about two directions Happyga way is good in the fact that you are taking care of the weakpoints first ie tranny, if you go that direction with tranny first I would put an exshaust (bigger), intake, guages, downloader (chip), and fass fuel system. This will turn into about 400 horspower give or take a little. And then add on as you go. Or there is my way do all the power upgrades and then blow your tranny or clutch then fix it, I say it is alot easier to buy a tranny if the other one dosen't work. If you do this your going to want to add injectors, turbo, and maybe water meth to the previous list. I would say if the 8000 grand is what you have for awhile then go about it Happyga way.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2006, 10:19 PM

Hooked!!!

ok,,, i am hooked to diesels now,, i look to see the potential of these trucks and it is really endless,,, this trucks gonna be a runner as well as a looker
now,,, to get everything ordered,,, and to find that lil ranger
thanks for the info guys,, great group of guys that are very knowledgable around this site,, i will be around for a while,,, see how much of my money you guys can spend
thanks
cowboy