Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need advice from a Transmission Guru

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice from a Transmission Guru

I have a 99 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 with auto transmission. I have added extra mods which include 4 inch exhaust, Super chip, Banks high rise, ATS co-pilot and full pod mounted gages. The truck currently has 87,000 miles on it, but only 42000 on the engine. Original engine was replaced on warrantee because of 53 series crack block issues.

Transmission has held up real well with only a periodic torque converter shudder I experience when loaded with my Artic Fox 990 overhead slide in camper (3800 Lbs). Never any over heating and oil is always bright red. Before this converter fails, I want to do some mods to the transmission starting with replacement of the torque converter with a good torque converter. My budget is around $4000 for these modifications. What recommendations can you Guru(s) make to beef this transmission and handle my future plans of hauling a 40 foot fifth wheel unit when I sell this camper.

I am currently in Newport Beach California and could use recommendations on a good shop to do this work also; either a shop here or Phoenix, Az area. Thanks reading the post. Post here or drop me a private post.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
DTT, ATS and Suncoast are all good but with prices the way they are now it might cost a little bit more than $4k.
What's more important is the installer, find one you feel you can trust and is knowledgeable about diesel trucks.
Suggest you call the big three I mentioned and have a talk, they can guide you to what you need and a local installer.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:14 PM

I am using 4K as a baseline and can fudge that figure. Since this transmission is still in good shape will just changing out torque converter, valve body and
doing a normal rebuild accomplish the "beef up" I need to create a dependable hauler for the fifth wheel.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A valvebody or a properly installed reprogramming kit is needed.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tonycamacho
I am using 4K as a baseline and can fudge that figure. Since this transmission is still in good shape will just changing out torque converter, valve body and
doing a normal rebuild accomplish the "beef up" I need to create a dependable hauler for the fifth wheel.
The above should put you in good shape. I don't see the need for billet shafts or flexplate if you aren't racing or sled pulling. I think you could have what you need with no problem on a 4k budget. As said check Goerend, HTS, or Suncoast. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM

J-fox:

When you refer to a reprogramming kit, are you talking about a device to control torque converter lockups. I currently use the ATS copilot device which also allows me to set lockup speeds or manual lockup. I use it to keep TC locked when in downgrades but normally just set lockup to stock speed because of the shudder which I experience at times.

I will be calling the recommended companies Monday to gather parts, locate local dealers and thier recommended installers. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

You just need a TC & VB. That's what i did and it holds the power no problem.
Check the Goerends TC & VB that's top notch stuff.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM

J-fox:

When you refer to a reprogramming kit, are you talking about a device to control torque converter lockups. I currently use the ATS copilot device which also allows me to set lockup speeds or manual lockup. I use it to keep TC locked when in downgrades but normally just set lockup to stock speed because of the shudder which I experience at times.

I will be calling the recommended companies Monday to gather parts, locate local dealers and thier recommended installers. Thanks for the inputs.
A reprogramming kit/shift kits all do the same,in different ways sometimes.
I'm not much fan of the trans controller boxes.
If you get the urge to set your trans to shift locked (locked converter) understand that it is hard on the shafts. You may break one.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM

.. I want to do some mods to the transmission starting with replacement of the torque converter with a good torque converter. My budget is around $4000 for these modifications.
I would not do a TQ converter without a new valve body. These two together should get you where you want to be and w/i your budget...
depending on condition of other internal parts.

As mentioned, call the big 3 or 4 companies and get knowledgable installers in area of your choice. Discuss with the installer for best recommendations.

RJ
Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Again thanks for the inputs. I dropped Dave Goerend an email today with request for suggestions. I am trying to gather parts first and then commission a shop when I'm sure they are comfortable with me acquiring the parts. So far most shops I have check with want to sell me TC and VBs I am not familiar with and won't warrentee any work done using customer provided parts.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Again thanks for the inputs. I dropped Dave Goerend an email today with request for suggestions. I am trying to gather parts first and then commission a shop when I'm sure they are comfortable with me acquiring the parts. So far most shops I have check with want to sell me TC and VBs I am not familiar with and won't warrentee any work done using customer provided parts.

Thanks
you should call Dave...trust me, he prefers it over e-mail and you will learn a ton from 1 phone call. The guy is fantastic to talk to
Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 AM

Choose your manufacturer and then go with their closest installer.... if you like him.
RJ
Old 10-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the inputs. I had a Suncoast TQ, VB and flexplate installed. Suncoast recommended an installer in Fullerton Ca. I was blown away with his professionalism. I arrived at 8 in the morning, my trans was out by 9; total teardown, inspection and rebuild was done. I was back on the road by 1:30 PM. The truck now shifts solid, like a truck. The shudder and funny sounds I was being to hear are gone. Mike and his two guys of Inglewood Transmission did the work. He deals more with Duramax and Allison stuff, but knows his stuff with Dodges. I am now ready for the trip back to Puerto Vallarta.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

Mike and his two guys of Inglewood Transmission did the work. He deals more with Duramax and Allison stuff, but knows his stuff with Dodges. I am now ready for the trip back to Puerto Vallarta.
Mike knows his stuff with ANY trans.

ben
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM

.. The truck now shifts solid, like a truck.
Congrates! Sounds like you found a great shop! I still remember my first drive after tranny rebuild... was like a whole new vehicle. Must be even more impressive after so many yrs with a factory tranny.

RJ