Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My first diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My first diesel!!!

2 days ago i was looking for a new truck and i found something i thought i would never want. Its a 98 2500 lb 5 speed 24v cummins. I fell in love instantly. I had never driven one before and it is GREAT! The only thing is i'm a newbie to them so i need so help and basics for the newcomer. I will probably never tow anything, i just like the truck. Do i need to cool down after a jaunt around town? how about warm up? I have been reading forums and found an easy cool mod, taking out the silencer ring, and it just sounds AWESOME now. I'm thinking i definetly wanna do some mods, but do not want to do anything to decrease the life of the motor, right now it "only" has 145k on it. I was reading AFE and scotty 2 are good intakes, which one is better? feel free to add anything. i know i need some gauges, mainly boost and egt. i have tweeters in my a pillar, where else could i mount em...I know alot about motors (i am rebuilding a SBC) but i know NOTHING about diesels. Fuel plates seem to be a simple effective mod, what do they do, where are they. I basically need some links or places to get the low down
Old 02-15-2004, 05:55 PM

Welcome to DTR!!!!

Well to start off, it is in your best intrests to let the truck cool down after driving around town. What you are trying to cool down is your turbo. Some people say that around town driving requires less than a minute for the turbo to cool down; some say more. But thats where the gauges come into play. You're right about getting egt and boost gauges, but a fuel pressure gauge should also be installed.

About the intakes....you will get a TON of opinions and comments on which is better. Your best bet is to do a search on both and make your decisions from there.

On the A pillar mount option, many manufacturers offer a mount with the tweeter hole already present. Just have to make sure that you specify when ordering one.

SAVE every advertisement site that appears up top on this site to your favorites!!!Besides most of the advertisement sites that appear on this website, you should save this one to your favorites also:

http://dodgeram.org/

As for future mods, you WILL want to beef up that 24 'vavler!!! Take our advice and don't start bombing!!!! Cuz once you start, you can't stop!!!

Feel free to ask away, theres always someone on this site with an answer.

Welcome and good luck with your new rig.

Hunter
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM

has anyone mounted them anywhere else...i am on a strict budget with this and my 63 nova, and eliminating the purchase of the probably $100+ gauge pod would help greatly. Got any info on the basics like fuel delivery...etc

...just found gauge pod for 50 bucks from west texas diesel...woo hoo
Old 02-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Fuel plates are only for 12 valve engines, your 24 valve is "plug and play." I'm not real knowledgeable on those engines with extra valves, do a search on "edge" and you'll be reading about fuelling boxes for months.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site. first thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure in order to insure that your lift pump is working. That is the fuel pump that supplies the injector with its fuel. the truck will run without it but it will kill the injector pump. Yours is turned up or bombed by electronics not fuel plates like a 12v. Spend some money and go to cummins and get some manuals if you want to learn about the motor. Wildcat does have a different gauge pod other then the A pillar. Change all the fluids in it as soon as you can since you just got it and you dont know what the previous owner had done. Save your money so you can spend it on that truck
Old 02-15-2004, 06:45 PM

thanks for the super fast replies guys...would i look for an actual cummins dealer, or should i go t dodge for the manuals. on the wttd's website it didn't list any other types of pods. Are Isspro's the best. what about vdo or autometer. should i get 30 or 60 psi. for the egt, where is the best placement pre or post turbo, i know post would be easier...just found rods pod for the dash, has anyone here used it, i would like to see other pics, cause i do like the look of the a pillar but also like to check out other options
Old 02-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would get the factory service manual from Dodge. It's expensive but well worth it. www.techauthority.com is where I got mine, they also come up on Ebay from time to time.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 PM

as far as the cool down is concerned. why not get a turbo timer like ones the ricers use. get one for like 50 bucks and not have to worry about waiting for it to cool down
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
DPG

wannadiesel's "plug and play" comment refers to the fact that the 24 valve engines are computer controled. Rather than using plates to increase hp/torque our engines use a plug-in computer box to increase boost and/or fueling. You can also add larger injectors, bigger or dual turbos, etc. For a new basic "box" you are looking at around $500 or so. Get the gauges first. You can learn a great deal reading the forums here. Enjoy your new toy, it's going to be a lot of fun!

DeWain
Old 02-15-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by 98 2500
as far as the cool down is concerned. why not get a turbo timer like ones the ricers use. get one for like 50 bucks and not have to worry about waiting for it to cool down
Your in the right ball park here. I haven't seen one for $50 though. What I have seen is this simple, effective, and relativly cheap cool down timer. I plan on buying this when that refund check comes back my way!

http://www.cool-downtimer.com./

Plus, I always like to give my well earned money to some friendly folk and helpful DTR members.

Just my $.02

Hunter
Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 AM

would this work... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2460489851
Old 02-16-2004, 12:01 PM

If ya want the most bang for the buck, get a remote starter, not a cheepie, mine cost me about 400 bucks, but it has a built in timer so before i turn off the key i hit the button and it runs it for 5 minutes.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM

i was told by my speed shop that an import type timer will not work in my app, so i guess i need to know what to use. that cool down timer the site advertises is just ugly, any others
Old 02-16-2004, 07:39 PM

sorry double postg
Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131
If ya want the most bang for the buck, get a remote starter, not a cheepie, mine cost me about 400 bucks, but it has a built in timer so before i turn off the key i hit the button and it runs it for 5 minutes.
Actually, get the Crimestopper RS 900VI. Has the glow plug delay, all normal functions, locks, can control two cars from same transmitter, has anti grind, and most importantly, the cool down, so you can let it idle after you remove the key for 1-5 minutes. They retail for around $150, and new ones are going on ebay for 56.00. Check them out!!!
I ordered one and will install it this weekend or maybe the day I get it. isn't too tough.

Quick Reply: My first diesel!!!