Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Lag off the line

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lag off the line

I was wandering if anyone can help? When I floor it off the line I get a lag then my truck takes off. I just recently instlled a #8 fuel plate and the AFC spring kit. I was hoping the lag would go away but it's still there.

Any help?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Several folks I know have had bad lag luck with the AFC spring kits and have removed them. I no longer recommend them.
Make sure your afc housing is slid far foward and the star wheel is turned towards the engine at least half way or more forward when viewed through the access hole.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lag is caused by lack of boost, if you have an automatic you should leave the line at about 7-10# boost. If a manual you will need to work the clutch to keep the R's up and get the boost up as soon as possible. You would be a lot better off with the #10 plate, but I also started with the #8 plate and was able to get over 20# at the line but that was too hard on the trans and all four rears went up in smoke instantly. If you still can't get enough smoke off the line remove the locknut on the screw that adjusts the preload on the afc diaphram and turn the screw one turn at a time untill you get the max smoke you want. It takes fuel to spool the turbo especially at the low end. keep adjusting and you will get there, this is why the better running turcks run better. With the 12V tuneing is where it's at.
Bruce
Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Thank for the replies!!

I did notice that after I installed the AFC srping kit it seemed to get worst, I'll try adjusting it or maybe I'll go back to the stock one. I did find on Piers web site something about adjusting the governor lever where it hit the cam plate. Wander if any knows about this.

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm

1996 Dodge 2500 with 4” exhaust, K&N air filter, #8 cam plate and a built stage V auto trans.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:49 PM

The adjustment of the governor arm is a must IMHO. Try adjusting the governor sping nuts one click at a time tighter or looser but no more than 3 clicks and not loose. The 3,000 rpm kit allows quicker fueling and thus will spool the turbo faster but smoke more on the low end. Recheck the height of the nuts with your micrometer again and check with the dimension you had before removing the stock setting.
Bruce
Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM

Bruce, thanks for your input still have a few questions?

I don't have 3,000 governor spring kit if that what your referring to and I'm not quit sure what nut height to check with the mic. The only thing that I've adjusted so far is the cam plate, I've moved it toward the front of the engine .060 from stock position, moved the the AFC housing all the way toward the front of the engine and installed the lighter of the 2 springs from TST Products in the AFC housing . I happy with the power at the top end but it's the 2 to 3 second lag off the line that I would like to elimate
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Put your stock AFC spring back in, I guarantee your problem will disappear.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:40 AM

I don't know what stall speed your converter is but when I installed my DTT I had to back off the starwheel about 20 clicks. It was getting too much fuel at low RPM's. I still have some lag but not nearly as bad. In Pier's words, "you don't want to put out the fire with too much fuel."
Old 09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that may be my problem too.. The lag under 1500 Rpm is really embarrasing as my 93 would light the rear wheels, this thing is alot stronger, just takes a while..

I moved the preload in about 1 turn, without much change. Maybe I will adjust the starwheel, I have the middle range spring in mine.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:12 AM

I did some experimenting this weekend.

My torque converter stalls at around 1500 rpm.

I adjusted the preload on the AFC spring (still has the lighter spring) 2 full turns, smokes a little off the line, also disconnected the turbo waste gate where it gets the signal from at the AFC housing and installed a boost gauge there. Made a big difference, test drove it on a ¾ mile 7% grade and was able to get it up to 85 mph with 27# of boost as opposed to 75 mph before changes now there’s only about a 1 sec lag. I disconnected the boost gages from the port on the AFC housing and left the port open and waste gate disconnected and had major lag again. So next I’ll try putting a tee fitting line to see if my waste gate actuator is leaking.

Question: Is this 1 sec lag normal with my stock turbo (HX35W) or should I be able to spin tires off the line.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:18 AM

With the stock plate, and only the starwheel adjusted, if I romp on it from the line, it has about 1 second of lag, then it spools right up...
Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I fooled with the starwheel and it only helped out in the smoke department. Like there was none.. Can't have that.. The lag was still there as I think with the stock injectors, not enought fuel to put out the fire.

I put another turn of preload into the AFC, that helps out.

I love the 12V, infinite adjustability!!!!!