Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed built transmission and still shudders

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Installed built transmission and still shudders

Hi. I installed a built transmission and I have shudder on third and fourth gear at 1800-2000rpm with 80-90% of throttle.

I have a TST PM3 and it only happens with level 6 or higher, the shudder feels like the stock tranny when tc locked up but it feels much more lighter and it still goes on and doesnt feel like it's slipping like it did with the stock tranny, I actually had to let the pedal up because it was so bad, it felt like the whole truck was jumping.

Can it be my tranny again or what kind of shudder those fueling boxes causes to vp44 engines?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who built the tranny? did they get a nice converter or another stock one? i'd either bet on turbo surge as mine does that now with the bigger charger when it goes into OD locked it'll violently shutter/surge..... or i'd say it's a stock or a hd unit that dosen't have a billet h\front cover.... if it disen't have the billet cover and has the stock style lugs off the converter that the bolts bolt to then if you have the power then it could have already "tweeked" those lugs and caused them to make it shutter when the converter locks...... just my .02
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM

It's a full built dtt tranny, and it shudders also when accerlating from a dead stop with a first gear, like the oem tranny did. But when driving with 3rd and 4th gear and accerlating with torque and the same gear approx 80% throttle it shudders. Dont know where that comes.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm i dono.... mined bucks/shutters on initial lockup due to the converter loading down the tranny..... is your converter a single or tripple disc?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 AM

I'm not sure which one I have, but I know I have billet front cover and billet shaft/hub.

It's built for twin turbos and 600hp+ but it's still feels like the tc is shuddering, but I cant be sure of that, because it shudders also with first gear when launching without boost. It's a little different shudder tho. . Where else that shudder could come? Drive shaft carrier ? Rear end? Axle wrap?

Tranny feels stiff and accurate, but I can just locate where that shudder is coming!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive never tried a TST but it sounds like you have the infamous shudder that others talk about. if you could find an Edge Comp and put it in its place it would be helpful to determine if the shudder is a result of too much power for the trans/driveline or if its in the TST.

might be tough to find an Edge Comp laying around in Finland. did you have to pay for shipping for that trans? yikes!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM
bsp

When I installed a mini spring pack in the rears I had to have the drive shaft center carrier shimed to take out a vibration. It shuddered in first, second, and a little in third depending on how hard I drove it. Don't know if this may be your problem but might want to check it, Raychem (Richard) figured it right out for me.........bp
Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
bsp

Didn't see it happens only on 6 or above ....bp
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Ok guys, thanks for your help. It seems that the first gear shudder is coming from the driveline, maybe an axle wrap, because it started when I installed tuff country lift kit.

And that big shudder, it never occured with stock settings/box off, even with my stock trans

I'll admit that my stock trans was slipping a lot but is it possible that my stock trans never actually shuddered?

Could it be the turbo going out of it effiency and the engine/turbo shudders the whole truck?

And now with the new stiffer trans it accerlates and goes quicker to high rpm's/next gear and that's why it wont shudder until the box is on higher levels?

I also noticed now that when it shudders and I let off the throttle the turbo doesent bark like it normally does or when I'll do wot and let off, it just make a big and quick psuh kind of sound and that's it.

The same shudder also occurred with the stock trans and hypertech power programmer on level 3.

I hope you guys understand something what I'm trying to tell you.

And yes, I have to allways pay the shipping costs and 32% tax for my parts.

And no, I dont want to buy edge, next step will be Smarty, Mach4, twinturbos, o-rings/studs and 6" Bull-Hauler stacks.

Oh and btw, I ordered my trans on the end of January and recieved it week ago. Gotta love shipping companies.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM

You may have to shim the center carrier bearing since you lifted you truck. DO this first....take off or unplug ALL of your tuners...tst and hypertech and drive the truck. Many people do not know this but with a modded trans, any small noticed or unnoticed problem will become amplified since built trannys become "sensitive" in how they will expose problems or little things in the driveline or engine that the stock tranny hides. Drive it stock first, then please report back and tell us what you find.

Richard
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM

I haven't had my hypertech on after I installed my TST. I mostly drive in 0 settings(off) and I dont notice any shudder, except the small vibration at first gear when accerlating from dead stop at half throttle or above that..
Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM

First thing I would check is the Pinion Angle, a one or two degree shim is usually all it needs.

With the first lift kit in my 2000 Dodge it did that too, the new lift kit does not do it.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Muted User

ive got a drag comp and have the same problem, and my tranny builder has driven it and felt it and says it aint the convrter. but it doesnt do it in overdrive.
pullin my toy hauler..bout 12000 lbs it will shudder so bad rollin into it in 3rd or 4th lockup ya gotta let out of it. take it out of o/d and its all good...but its not the converter. ??? whatever.
it is a triple disc billet sonnex converter though. really good unit although i think its a little loose the manuf says it aint