Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed 03' tracbar conversion and a DSS....NO DIFFERENCE?!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Installed 03' tracbar conversion and a DSS....NO DIFFERENCE?!!!!

What The Heck?!!!!!! I jumped in and drove 30 miles after the install and the steering doesn't feel any tighter. It handles the SAME as before. I am disgusted about throwing over $600 into something that does not work. I am thinking that I must have a steering box problem.... are they adjustable?

Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

Yes. The steering boxes are adjustable. There should be a screw with a lock nut on top of the box. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in till you get near zero play, not binding. Tighten the nut. Do this with the steering box on the truck! Probably about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Maybe more if you have a lot of miles. Be sure that the steering wheel is centered before you do this or you could crack the case.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the tip. One more thing, I threw away the dirrections for the DSS before I noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight. I remember it saying how to fix it but cant recall how it was to be done.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

You should be able to download the directions from their website.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:25 PM

what does the steering wheel position have to do with installing a DSS?

THe only part that comes in contact with a steering component is the bearing, and it just goes in circles. I am confused.....

I installed a DSS (Darins Steerin Stabalizer) last weekend. I helped a little. I am beginning to wonder what my problem is. The LL didnt help, and I was sure the DSS would fix it. NOw what?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM

It has nothing to do with it....... but my steering wheel is cocked to the left now after I installed the DSS. The web sight doesnt say anything about correcting it. I know I saw it on the instruction sheet.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Probably moved from the trac bar conversion. Everytime I change my trackbar it seems the wheel is off a little.

The steering box can be a big problem. I did the DSS, trac bar and bushings.... nada. Didn't help much. Had to replace the steering box and that took care of the problem. Return to center was shot in the old box.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM

To fix the crooked wheel: Get the truck situated so that it is headed perfectly straight, (wheel crooked). There are two clamps on the draglink up close to the pitman arm. Loosen them, they are the two that are closest together with a threaded peice in between. I think they are like 15 to 18mm in size. Once they are loose you should be able to turn the threaded peice in between them by hand. This is for steering wheel alignment. When you get it straight tighten the clamps. It may take a few tries but you'll get it. The adjustment is quite rapid. The whole thing shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Anybody that's installed a lift kit has had to do this...
Old 01-14-2005, 05:01 PM

LHartman........ what does a steering box sell for and how hard is it to remove/replace?

WhiteSport........ thanks for the tip!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:18 PM

when replacing a track bar the position of the axle changes side to side by a little bit making the steering wheel off a litttle. i replaced my steering box when i installed my brace and track bar kit because the sector shaft bearing was wore and sloppy, look at that shaft while somebody moves steering wheel, some times it leaks fluid there too,might also check the top cover to make sure it is tite,there is 4 bolts with the box adjustment in the center,do not over adjust this,also check the 3 bolts that hold box to the frame...hope this helps...when i did this to my truck it was like nite and day!...box is about $220 for reman....
Old 01-14-2005, 06:23 PM

I think I gave $260 for a Carquest rebuilt box but I would go with the PSC box. It isn't hard to replace but you do need a few tools. You need a 1/2 inch torque wrench that will go to 180 lbs, a pitman arm puller, and possibly some flare nut wrenches. Center the steering first, then pull off the pitman arm. The socket for the nut on the pitman shaft is huge, like 34mm or something like that. Disconnect the steering shaft and loosen the hydraulic lines. Use a catch pan as this is kinda messy. Pull the 3 mounting bolts for the box and lower it out of the truck. Install is reverse of removal. Pull the return lines for the steering and the hydroboost from the power steering pump, plug the holes in the pump reservoir and flush all the old fluid into a container. You do this by putting the front wheels on jack stands and filling the reservoir with fluid. Start the truck and work the steering and the brakes until you get clean fluid from each return line. Hook up the retrun lines and fill the reservoir with fluid. Check the fluid a few times during the first drive to ensure proper level. Total time for me was about 4hrs and I wasn't in a hurry.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Turbo Deeezle
LHartman........ what does a steering box sell for and how hard is it to remove/replace?

WhiteSport........ thanks for the tip!
I didn't buy a "good" steering box. I've seen some of the guys talking about a very good one on these boards, but I can't remember what it was. Price was pretty reasonable IIRC.

Replacing it is not a hard job at all. Maybe 2-3 hours tops if you've never done it before. Having to take out the DSS was a pain just to get it out and adds to time. Get a pitman arm puller. Took awhile to get mine off.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 PM

Ok...... let me retract the comment about the DSS causing the crooked wheel. I found the instructions in the trash and it was the track bar that caused the problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:42 PM

I just replaced mine with the PSC box.....$308 delivered. Well worth the money.
http://www.offroadsteering.com/links.html

You'll have to call to order it, mine showed up three days later. I replaced my steering box at the same time I did my cross over steering. Total time, with the steering was about 3 hours. That included taking the front wheels and DSS off and putting them back on.

I have NO MORE STEERING PROBLEMS!! Truck steers tighter than it did the day it rolled off the lot.

All of y'all should go look over at pavementsucks.com, those guys are beating the snot out of their trucks and the front end parts they are using are holding up. Lots of options over there for suspension issues, and most of them work better than what we're seeing here.

Course, this place has 'em beat on BOMBs by a country mile....

PM me if you want more info.
PM me if you're interested in more info....