Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injectors with no fueling box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors with no fueling box?

I have a near stock truck with 4" MBRP and a walbro 392 with a vulcan big line. I need the truck for most of my driving outside of work. What injectors can I add without changing/adding turbos or a fueling box? Keep in mind also that I may add these things later, but just not right now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 AM

[quote=mcctho21;1140550]I have a near stock truck with 4" MBRP and a walbro 392 with a vulcan big line. I need the truck for most of my driving outside of work. What injectors can I add without changing/adding turbos or a fueling box? Keep in mind also that I may add these things later, but just not right now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

it depends on how much you want to spend. i vote for Don's Mach 1.6's they 90hp. they are some of the best out there.

dieselfan
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can go to injectors, but you will need a boost fooler.
You would get more performance by going to an Edge EZ, and that has a built in boost fooler. For a few more dollars you can get an Edge Comp.
Then you can go to injectors at a later date.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 AM

You can run Bosch 300s, they are sometimes called 275s. They are pretty cheap and work well. As for the boost fooler they are less than $20.
I think this is the most cost effecitve injector for someone wanting a little power, maybe some mpg, and no other mods.
You can add an ez to this later and have a really good towing setup.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the same price, I would get the EZ over the injectors. They will run you about 300.00.
Actually, the EZ will be cheaper, if you have to pay someone to install your injectors, and you will get 60 hp, whereas the 275's give 40 hp (roughly).

Last edited by Marine; 09-24-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....and check the classifieds here. I've found a couple "used" Edge boxes for customers of mine through this site. I payed $125.00 for mine off of Ebay a few years back.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:10 PM

I was trying to stay away from the fuel box as it seems to cause more harm to the VP than injectors only. Am I right to say this? Fuel box is obviously the cheapest and easiest way out, but I was looking for a good base (Injectors) before I tie on a box. I dont mind diving for something good now, if it will let me really juice it up later. Always wanted to pull sleds someday . Just looking for the next step. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:48 PM

I don't see any gauges in your sig, if you go for anything more than 275's you definately need a pyro. I feel the same way you do I want injectors most likely jammer1 or2's, Can't afford mach series, before a fueling, timing box. Than I'm pretty sure I'll get a smarty, then better turbo.

Jed
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mcctho21
I was trying to stay away from the fuel box as it seems to cause more harm to the VP than injectors only. Am I right to say this? Fuel box is obviously the cheapest and easiest way out, but I was looking for a good base (Injectors) before I tie on a box. I dont mind diving for something good now, if it will let me really juice it up later. Always wanted to pull sleds someday . Just looking for the next step. Thanks.

Mach 1.6's are just what you need if you dont mind spending a little more. they ll be good now and when you add a box or two they ll be great!
trust me i m kicking myself now for not waiting and getting the mach's. i grew out of my injectors the first day almost. do it right the first time, you wont be sorry and it will be cheaper!

dieselfan
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mcctho21
Box before injectors for boost fooling, don't ask me how I know
Haisley machine sells boost foolers for close to $80, but you can find a used va or ez for $200

Fueling boxes that tap into the vp44 do make it run double duty, but a timing box or programmer don't make the vp44 work any harder than it was designed to. Ez, van aaken, or smarty would be good options. Guages are first though!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 PM

Buy a Smarty, and be done with it. I wouldnt run just injectors on an otherwise stock truck. They will make a lot more heat without a box. A box with timing advance(like the EZ or Smarty) really helps power, and cooling down the EGT's because of the timing advance. And an EZ or Smarty(what I would get) will not hurt your pump in any way, and the smarty is stackable with basically any box you can get.

Eric
Old 09-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

I undestand where you are coming from, but the benefits of adding a box far ouways the benefits of just adding injectors now. If you spent the 600+ and got a smarty you can choose either timing or fuel or both. Once you grew out of that then injectors and you would have a killer combo. You put injectors in when the stockers are at their limit. Injectors alone (like stated above) will just make more heat,smoke and maybe a noticeable difference in power. Timing advance is what will make the power more useable and noticeable. Adding a box will also get more fuel mileage and right now thats a biggie. Hope it helps. GET SOME GAUGES!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 AM

if the $ permits i would get a smarty first and some injectors,bob stated a smartys best friend is a good set of injectors,if your thinking injecotrs dont forget the bd xxx lineup,i got the 130s and the smarty,its a great combo.i dont use the comp anymore,truck idles like a honda and revs like a v8 and gets wicked milage without the comp.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Now we are on the right track. I think I may be onto a plan here now. So let me get this straight...a smarty doesnt push the vp harder than it needs to? That is what I was concerned with. Usually when the HP goes up, something suffers and it is usually longevity. VP's are expensive enough $$$ to begin with without my help to knock it out the door!!! Thanks for the info guys. Keep up the good work! Gauges, Smarty, Injectors, South Bend, Twins, Straight thru the hood, traction bars, what next???!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Nope. As long as you dont have a box that taps the pump wire, the pump really isnt working any harder. The smarty will NOT hurt the pump at all. You will want to keep an eye on fuel pressure, but other than that, you are good

Eric

Quick Reply: Injectors with no fueling box?