Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

i got another crazy idea...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb i got another crazy idea...

i was reading on a website about a homemade jet engine that used a turbocharger as the heart of the engine http://mdavis19.tripod.com/turbine/primitive.html i was thinking that if i could build an engine like this and use the full exhaust of this engine to flow through another turbocharger and make say 15-20 psi boost all the time, even at idle, and flow this air through the stock charger on the dodge, that it would have 0 turbo lag accept for anything over the constant 15-20 psi. and ofter that should be almost instant boost. it may even "combine atmospheres" at boost to some degree. but i am going to pursue this idea for a while and see how it works. this would also greatly decrease exhaust backpressure and have less parasitic pumping loss.much lower egt's. then i will have to rig up a fuel injection pump and injectors off a caterpillar with mechanicle variable timing!. wow what a motor that would be! not to mention how much more fuel could flow than the p-pump could ever think about doing economicly.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
An accumulator would do the same thing.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:47 PM

ok, but would it be any easier or harder to make work than my idea? i don't even know what an accumulator is, but i will look it up.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

you sir are crazy...but i love the idea...ive seen jet engine built from turbos...but the problem is they almost always blow up and hurt someone
Old 02-16-2005, 05:17 PM

i put a hx 35-12 on my ford diesel!! i got it to make 15 psi boost at 4,000 rpm's! pm me if you want to see pics.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's what I call thinking outside the box. I don't know if you are even in the same room as the box.

What I think you're trying to do if I understand you right is to make a diesel fueled supercharger. From an efficiency standpoint it sucks because you're now dumping a lot of heat without using it to turn the crankshaft. I think it could make good power, though. Efficiency and HP are related but not the same thing. Using the jet exhaust to drive the turbo would free up power that would normally be used to pump exhaust through the turbo. This would require a different cam grind for maximum benefit but I could see it making a lot of HP if you could keep the "jet" turbo and the supercharging turbo from exploding or melting.

I think it could be a good drag or pulling concept, where you don't have to keep things together for too long and fuel economy is not a factor.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:47 PM

I built one from the plans on that site.

It was a bocat turbo with a flame tube like that and a ignition module I built.
It was cool until I let it get way to hot one time and it took out the oil seal, so the next time I used it it leaked so much oil that IT RAN AWAY ON THE OIL.

I had a boost gauge on it and last I saw it as I was runing away it was pegged at 30 PSI. It was as loud as a jet taking off out of my shed. Luckily the spark plug blew out of the flame tube because the hole was to big...Anway After I cleaned up the mess I made on the floor I imiditiatly threw the **** thing away, it could have killed me if the turbo whould have come apart
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by sammy198
I built one from the plans on that site.

It was a bocat turbo with a flame tube like that and a ignition module I built.
It was cool until I let it get way to hot one time and it took out the oil seal, so the next time I used it it leaked so much oil that IT RAN AWAY ON THE OIL.

I had a boost gauge on it and last I saw it as I was runing away it was pegged at 30 PSI. It was as loud as a jet taking off out of my shed. Luckily the spark plug blew out of the flame tube because the hole was to big...Anway After I cleaned up the mess I made on the floor I imiditiatly threw the **** thing away, it could have killed me if the turbo whould have come apart
WOW!!!!!!!! pegged at 30 psi boost!!!!!! as loud as a jet taking off out of the shed!!!!! i want one! i have an old banks turbo for a ford idi. i am going to see if theres enough bearings left to make it run a little. wow!!!! i love it!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by banks twinram
i am going to see if theres enough bearings left to make it run a little. wow!!!! i love it!!! [/B]

Just don't let it get too hot and use some kind of oil pump to give it oil pressure, and a good drain. Use a leaf blower to start. That circuit thats on that website isn't hard to build and I put one with a coil in an old 12volt power suppy.

When you build the flame tube test it with a blower and change the hole sizes until the fire roars and the flame is all the way up in the tube. Then just connect it all up and for the cold side I just used old radiator hose I had laying around. Have fun and be careful (don't overspeed the turbo IT WILL HURT)

Oh and make sure it has oil pressure when ever it is turning (like when you use the leaf blower to spool it up cause it sounds cool)

Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 AM

t kind of fuel did you use? i thought it would be harder than you'r explaining. i have exerimented with a 120 volt little fan, blowing through an old 3" exhaust stack about 8 foot long with propane and made the whole pipe turn bright redwith VERY LITTLE propane, and the flame was bright blue inside and kinda swirling around. but never hooked a turbo up to it. i was just trying to build a heater for my dog, but my "test stand" wasn't very sturdy and figured it may be too dangerous.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:50 AM

Uh oh,,,now we're going to hear of countless DTR members blowing themselves to little pieces after they replace that 35 with a bigger turbo. Either that or there will be a rise in the number of jet powered sheds flying across the country.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 AM

t kind of fuel did you use? i thought it would be harder than you'r explaining. i have exerimented with a 120 volt little fan, blowing through an old 3" exhaust stack about 8 foot long with propane and made the whole pipe turn bright redwith VERY LITTLE propane, and the flame was bright blue inside and kinda swirling around. but never hooked a turbo up to it. i was just trying to build a heater for my dog, but my "test stand" wasn't very sturdy and figured it may be too dangerous.
You have to use a flame tube so that only a little bit of the air is used in combustion and the rest cools it off some so the turbo doesn't melt down. Mine looked a lot like this one

It goes in this (this isn't mine but I copied it and it worked fairly well and is CEAP

Oh and I used propane with a regulator from an acetiline (spelling) set up. your throttle is the pressure control. If you just try to use a regular valve you do't have enough control and it will either overspeed or flame out without you constantly ajusting it.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Heater??? Sounds more like a barbecuer!!!

I use a "heat lamp" in the dog house.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:40 PM

Heater??? Sounds more like a barbecuer!!!
My Gosh! It sounds more like rover is going to be INCINERATED!!!
Where did you live that is THAT cold????

"Snoopy kicks red baron's butt in jet powered Sopwith Camel using Turbine powered doghouse heater!!!"

k.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 PM

a heat lamp is too generic, i live in south texas, and when it gets under 40*, its cold!! lol, i was trying to build a hardhat heater, but all that did was make smoke!! lots of it. looked like my dodge when i had the non-functioning o.f. valve on it! lol. and i forgot to ask, how much boost were you running when you were just messing with it? like before it started running away? i know, i'm pretty crazy. can't help it, i am also working on how to make "free power" it will be a 350 chevy that runs on air alone, no fuel and it will run a generator to power my house!

Quick Reply: i got another crazy idea...