Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

i got another crazy idea...

Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when it was at "Idle" it made about 6 psi and when you started it none showed untill it was burning pretty good. I never (purpously) got it over 11 psi. (It sounded like it was scooting along pretty good there).

When it did ran away the sound it made was very scary as it was obviously overspeeding by alot.

You might want to put a pyro at the distarge to make sure it dosent get too hot. I just looked at the turbine blades and thorottled to keep them from turning red. It seemed like a good Idea at the time but thinking back to it, sitting 4 feet away from the turbo with exasust blowing in my face and it running on the bitter edge. Along with a propane tank next to me doesn't seem like it was a good idea
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 PM

wow!!!!!!!! i love it. i will start on it this weekend!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM

Heh heh heh!!! Absolutely COOL!
Banks: Seriously, PM me if you get close to making yours sing!!! I'll be RIGHT over!
I have lusted over building a turbojet using a turbo for some time!!!... Too many other projects to even get close to building it...

If you wanna get an eyefull, do a Google search on homemade jet engines. There is even a guy with a turbo with an afterburner mounted on a go-kart!!! Talk about NOISE!!!
There is even a CORDWOOD powered turbojet engine!!! It's a large wood filled steel tank with a bolt-down cover with a turbo mounted on it... Really wild!

Keith
Old 02-18-2005, 08:19 AM

a jet engine will burn anything combustible if you can get it shreded into small enough pieces, rattler, you are more than welcome to come over if i get the thing built. afterburner??? it's just gettin good, my friend. mount it on my go-cart???? i think i would need some of them 1940's airplane pilot goggles and a red scarf in order to ride it!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:22 AM

And a set of steel earplugs!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 PM

An Afterburner on a turbocharger - jet engine? How do you explain that one to your insurance company when they come to check out the carnage.

I think it's the coolest thing I've heard in a long time.

How do I build one?
Old 02-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Follow the link that Banks Twinram first posted. Follow the link to the new site and then locate a "LINKS" page and start bookmarking and reading... If you run out of fascinating homemade turbocharger jet engine links, you got lost! GOOGLE some more and you will get back on track!
There are some pictures of spectacular failures and some absolutely COOL successes and applications! (Turbo-jet w/afterburner powered go-kart etc.)
What I learned reading those many links is this: Keep plenty pressurized lube oil on it as long as it is turning, keep it turning well after cutting off the fuel to keep the brgs from coking, and for goodness sake, they can overspeed REALLY quick and those things have one whale of alot of energy spooled up inside!!!
Remember that is a LOT of propane going into that thing!!! Especially read the account of the fellow getting a little too careless when it hiccupped and belched yellow flame out the exhaust burning his face pretty badly!!!
There is even a whole Turbine WebRing associated with this "sport"!
Enjoy!!! (I sure did!)

Keith
Old 02-18-2005, 08:20 PM

If you really want a jet to drive the turbo check out the jets forum on rcuniverse.com These can make way over 20# thrust on kero , are fully throttlable with electronice ignition module, absolute reliability. bad news is they start around $3500 for the larger ones and about $2000 for the small ones. They come complete except for fuel tank.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/

go to planes on the forum page then scroll down to "jets" I think there is and engine tech sub forum there too.

bentwings
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 PM

If your wanting free power go with steam instead of air I converted a Briggs and Stratton to steam and used an air compressor tank as the boiler you could burn your trash and leaves to make power
Old 02-18-2005, 11:47 PM

i was hoping for a little more than 5 horsepower.. but anyways, how did you run the valves to make it steam powered?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:55 PM

You could turn any motor in to a steam engine, you need it where the exhaust vavle is open every time the piston comes up and close as it gets close to TDC then just After TDC the intake will open blasting in steam like a 2 stroke when I open the steam up that little motor will scream in turns a lot faster on steam than on gasoline, you can even vale the intake and exhaust pipes and it could run foward and backward
Old 02-19-2005, 12:08 AM

so did you build a whole new camshaft? or just weld up the old cam and grind it down to open-close the valve every revolution instead of every other?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:11 AM

i was also thinking about a supercharged, propane powered briggs with advanced timing and build it up to as much compression ratio as i can get it!..... weld up inside the head and on top of the piston with aluminum rod.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:38 AM

yeah I welded the lobes with a cast iron rod and filed them down, I also have a cub cadet with a kohler 12 horse in it I ran on diesel, I put a nother tank on it and took some of the cool plates off so it would run warm and from the second tank you can use copper line as the fuel line and wrap it around the exhaust so it will get hot,I just crank it on gasoline got it hot and switched to diesel it smoked alot and it would knock bad when I reved it up but it is still together
Old 02-19-2005, 01:25 AM

i have a 1/2 ton chevy that used to be a diesel, and now its got a 454 in it, but the tanks had a little diesel in them still when i first cranked it up, and it didn't run too good with even a gas-diesel mix. but i have also seen a few of the old international and gallion dozers-maintainers that started on gas, carb, spark plugs, then you switched it over to diesel and if you didn't turn the fuel off going to the carb, she would REALLY run then!! lol but it also had injectors. i have also seen eople that mash the spark plugs together and apply straight 24 volts to the plugs for a few seconds and turned them into glow plugs so they didn't have to start it on gas and switch it over to diesel. oh, and if you let them sit there an idle on gas, it took about 8-10 mins to burn a gallon of gasoline! thats a good 6 gallons of gasiling at idle. i always wondered if you choked the air off to a diesel, and ran gasoline through the injectors, wouldn't it be a direct injected, turbocharged, gasoline? no need for spark plugs. it would be hard to get the air-fuel right to run at a variable speed though. good ol' diesels, can never run too lean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i got another crazy idea...