Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Htt 62/71/13 Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really dont care about the configurations of a turbo, and dont need to know
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM

I'm confused clutch1 what are you talking about??
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM

I have the 62/71/14, I know it is not the exact same turbo, very similiar, with a similiar problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bridleman
I'm confused clutch1 what are you talking about??
that statement was directed to kas83, i just asked a simple question and he started schooling me on turbos. sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hic316
I have the 62/71/14, I know it is not the exact same turbo, very similiar, with a similiar problem.
thanks thats all i wanted to know, its weird that yall are having this prob. i know there are lots of these turbos running around and they're doing good.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:42 PM

100% satisfied here, just had to turn up the boost, that's all. I love it as it pulls like mad!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Exclamation

Ok update on what I've found out concerning the issues with my turbo, after going over the truck this is what I found:

1) Checked all hoses and hose couplers and clamps air tested and everything checked negative for leaks.

2) Checked turbo to see if the connection between turbo and manifold was tight and make sure that the studs and bolts were not hitting anything. No problems there all good.

3) Checked the manifold to block connection and found no evidence of a soot trail anywhere all is tight as a drum.

4) Turbo to down pipe is flush and tight.

5) I have no leaks from the head as far as I can tell and the oil is clean no milkshake color to it so I believe it can't be a head crack or fluids would be mixing.

6) In all this searching I did find that that my pyro wiring had been melted, I was wondering what was going on because I was getting a screwy reading. So I fixed that and now the one thing that I thought this turbo did improve I have come to find out that the egt's are no better than when I was running the stock charger, cruising down the road at 70mph about 750*f and will run right up to 1400-1500*f when all my mods are on I mean run up fast to that number!!!

At this point I don't know what to do next?? I believe I have gone and eliminated all possibilities, So my only conclusion is that this turbo is not performing like everyone knows it is capable of doing. I know it's out there but I'm thinking the problem lies within the turbo....... I know I'm probably going to be beat down and crucified for saying that but I can't think of anything else??

One last thing my VP is not tripping any codes and after talking with the injection shop that HTT told me to call they said that if the IP coughs or farts it's tripping a code, so in which case they said it's not a fueling prob. But lord knows this thing bogs down at the start and never really clears up through out the gears! So it leads me to think it's a air thing ! Thanks guys and sorry for the long winded post.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 PM

Bridleman, not what I wanted to hear.......but thank you for the detailed, yet not positive post. If anything changes please keep us up to speed!!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obvious stuff, but have you checked: how hard the turbo turns, shaft play, and the air filter/intake tube?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 PM

i think it is that 71mm turbine wheel. i have the 64/71/14. i actually have to turn my tst up when i tow to get the turbo to cool. my turbo spools ok at lower elevations in cool weather, but the hotter the ambient temp and the higher the elevation, the worse it performs. i was at 7900' feet today and had a honda minivan blow by me. i just couldnt get it to spool. i think that 71mm wheel is more for high rpm stuff. i just talked with dennis at htt and i am sending my turbo in this week to have it made into a 64/65/13ss. hopefully it will work because i have to haul some horses up the road in a couple weeks and there is no way i can do it right now. supposedly he is having very good results with that configuration.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

i think you're right it does have something to do with air, your egts make more sence now with them being higher. its not spooling soon enough to cool things down, your cruising egts are normal for the big turbo and im guesing that your doing the wot runs while already rolling right. have you tried to do a full take off from a dead stop? if the turbo keeps things cool when doing a dead stop run then your not spooling it soon enough when you're doing a rolling wot run.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM

gman07, I have not checked the play in the turbo I'll give it a look, as for the air filter and intake tube all has been checked there, thanks.

clutch1, Those numbers don't change much if it's a rolling wot or if it's a dead stop run I wait to about 10psi and then roll into it and the temp still rockets.

iforge03, I seem to be leaning to what your saying about that 71 wheel and Dennis actually suggested doing a wheel and compressor swap if things didn't improve, so I'll be real curious to see how things go for you soon, please keep us posted.Thanks Chris
Old 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

hopefully with the wheel change it'll solve things. at 10psi what are your egts?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 AM

I can't say for sure right now I'll run it in the AM and get back to you.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Bridleman, I've been watching this tread and have not seen anyone ask about the exhaust manafold itself, just the connection points. At any point in the process did you inspect the runner internals for casting flash, buildup, etc? If you have something that obstructs or triggers excessive turbulence the symtoms you've discribed could occur.

You definetly appear to be having an airflow issue.

Quick Reply: Htt 62/71/13 Installed!!