Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Htt 62/71/13 Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
HOHN, are you a believer in Hybrid turbos? I'm skeptical! Wonder if anyone has any results or compressor flow maps to prove that they improve much over stock.
Generally, no. That's why I put the 35/40 last on my list. Turbos are designed with certain turbine and compressor wheels for a reason. When the size of one is increased relative to the size of the other, you can fall out of the "sweet spot" for efficiency. A small 35 turbine can't efficiently generate the shaft hp needed to drive the 40's compressor. Turbines have a shaft HP range in which they are reasonably efficient-- too small and they choke, too big and it's like using a sledgehammer to hang pictures.

The compressor map of the turbo won't change because it's a hybrid. A 60mm HX40 compressor is a 60mm HX40 compressor-- no matter which turbine is spinning it, a 35 or a 40. It takes more shaft power to a turn a larger compressor, so you need a larger turbine to deliver greater shaft hp.

Rumor has it that the stock HX35 turbine extracts up to 70shp from the exhaust.

In return for the loss of efficiency, a hybrid marginally lowers the threshold of boost and increases spoolup.

After all, isn't spoolup really the only reason to go with a hybrid anyway?

Notice that OEM diesel turbos are heading in the direction of a "hybrid" with smallish turbines for the compressors, as OEMs sacrifice efficiency and drive pressure in favor of spoolup, which enhances customer satisfaction and reduces emissions-- and that's more what a manufacturer cares about.

JMO
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates bridleman???
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 AM

No still trying to please ETR on this turbo and make sure the problem is not my truck but the turbo. I am thinking that if by chance I decide to return this pos they are not going to be to good to deal with.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 AM

I still think that HTT should take care of you regardless where you bought it from!!! I'm pretty sure Industrial Injection would have helped you out regardless???
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I still think that HTT should take care of you regardless where you bought it from!!!
I agree! HTT took care of me but I did buy it directly through them (not that it should really matter IMO). ETR doesn't seem to have the most satisfied customers either. Have you tried dealing directly with HTT and putting the pressure on them?

I'm pretty sure Industrial Injection would have helped you out regardless???
Lol...don't be so sure.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM

I asked Bridleman the same question and he said that HTT told him to deal with ETR???? That doesn't seem very fair!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 AM

I still think that HTT should take care of you regardless where you bought it from!!! I'm pretty sure Industrial Injection would have helped you out regardless???
they will. they have a customer for life
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All I know is that if *MY* name was on a turbo, then you can guarantee I'd make sure the person who owned it was taken care of...

jmo
Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM

i can tell you from experiance II wont.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like someone is unhappy with HTT's service. Well i know how you feel, they recommended a quickdiesel 64 for me and when I told them it didnt solve my egt or top end smoke problem they blamed it on my intercooler I even offered to split the cost of upgrading my turbo to their next bigger size and they NEVER EVEN RETURNED MY EMAIL. I am def going to II, you can't get much worse then what they did IMHO.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

Here's a couple of videos of how my HTT 64/12 does with a regular TST and M4.5s

Drag race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePovvV403kI

Dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rY2mUyvrQ

I'll let everyone know how the truck does this weekend pulling a good load from Ohio to NC. I don't know how much a 16 ft. flatbed loaded with fresh fallen Maple wood will weigh, but it's probably going to be some decent weight.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 PM

jrussell: I talked to Dennis a HTT and he deferred me back to ETR so as of now I'm stuck dealing with their superior customer service.

Hey Mike nice vids of the truck and if any one is wondering exactly what my truck looks like running down the road with this turbo hears a clue, Look at Mike's videos and then look at his sig...........................now look at my sig from my calculations Mike has more fuel than I do but yet his turbo clears the smoke up pretty dang fast where as my truck smokes like a flippin train all through the gears and never totally cleans up, there is always a little black smoke coming out where eventually it should get clean with a slight haze but it never does. I might be wrong but if Mike is running everything that he said he is running then my truck with what I'm running should get clean as well JMO!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still think it is your injectors....a little too small. What settings are you running the Smarty/comp on? I have II Dragon [4 flows] & I do get smoke, but the turbo easily hits 50+lbs of boost & egts are well in check. I even tow 15k# daily with no issues.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, The problem is elevation. I have a ton of firsthand experience with high altitude vs low altitude in a Cummins. I live at 5000', my wife's family lives at 100' down there in TX and my parents live at 2000' in WA. I travel to all three couple times a year. At 5000 my stock turbo is a laggy beast imo. At 8000' it is a smoke show even with Juice turned to 0 or stock. At 2000', my truck feels like it has power. It will chirp the tires good when it hits 20 lbs in 3rd gear, and spool up is noticeably faster, almost quick. In TX, at near 100' my truck breaks loose in 3rd at about 20 psi and it stays loose till 3K rpm or so. Spool up is lightning quick and my truck feels like a hot rod. Smoke is nearly non existent. What I'm getting at is that elevation is huge in the spoolup performance of these turbos.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by bridleman
jrussell: I talked to Dennis a HTT and he deferred me back to ETR so as of now I'm stuck dealing with their superior customer service.

Hey Mike nice vids of the truck and if any one is wondering exactly what my truck looks like running down the road with this turbo hears a clue, Look at Mike's videos and then look at his sig...........................now look at my sig from my calculations Mike has more fuel than I do but yet his turbo clears the smoke up pretty dang fast where as my truck smokes like a flippin train all through the gears and never totally cleans up, there is always a little black smoke coming out where eventually it should get clean with a slight haze but it never does. I might be wrong but if Mike is running everything that he said he is running then my truck with what I'm running should get clean as well JMO!!!
Thanks Chris. I was running at very low altitude. I'm sure at 5000 ft it would be a different story. I hear the same thing from guys who go to Denver for the ATS truck fest. One way to know for sure is to get down to a lower alt. to see if that improves things.

Quick Reply: Htt 62/71/13 Installed!!