Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HRVP worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HRVP worth it?

Well its time . Been about 6 weeks with the hard start thing goin on , and am ready to couph up the cash for a vp44. i have contacted a couple of vendors about a hotrod vp44 and have gottin conflicting info. One vendor tells me I will get 70 horses and another tells me that they have had no extra real world power from any of the hrvp's. $600 is alot of extra cash for something else I really want like twins.
Has any one dynod before and after, or has had real world sotp experiance telling them that they didnt just flush $600 down the drain?
Also what do you all think of my sig 450 hp or am I over estamating it abit.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any dyno data, but mine went from a stock clutch that would hold what I had to a stock clutch that wouldn't even think about it. I'd say there was a difference.
I think it smells alittle funny that a vendor is telling you that is makes no difference.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:08 AM

The HRVP does make HP! But there is a catch..... If you truck is in excess of 600 RWHP there is no peak HP gain when going to a HRVP. In this case the HRVP does improve low end torque and HP but not peak. Another benefit is the ability to make more HP with smaller injectors. We have a truck running a SPS66, Mach 4's, and a drag comp make 605 RWHP. We swapped out the 4's for 6's and didn't gain any real HP.

Based on your mods I would say you will see a true 60-80 RWHP gain from a good HRVP. Also remember that there are several HRVP's on the market and each acts different.....

Doug Smith
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 AM

Id go for it. I cant wait till mine is on.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM

I dyno'd before and after. I lost 10 hp. Not sure if I re-tapped the wire correctly. Haven't had time to check. If that is VP only, and no TST or Comp in the pic, it will be awesome. If that is with the box fueling, I'm very disappointed. Edge comp doesn't feel on/off kick in the pants like before. I dyno'ed my regular Edge Comp and a Drag Comp with stock ecm program and got the same exact #. It's really hard to tell in SOP because I'm getting some major axle wrap after installing a DD clutch at the same time. Gotta fabricate some ladder bars........

I'll re-post after I get a chance to check the VP wire.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetpilot
The HRVP does make HP! But there is a catch..... If you truck is in excess of 600 RWHP there is no peak HP gain when going to a HRVP. In this case the HRVP does improve low end torque and HP but not peak. Another benefit is the ability to make more HP with smaller injectors. We have a truck running a SPS66, Mach 4's, and a drag comp make 605 RWHP. We swapped out the 4's for 6's and didn't gain any real HP.

Based on your mods I would say you will see a true 60-80 RWHP gain from a good HRVP. Also remember that there are several HRVP's on the market and each acts different.....

Doug Smith
I assume this was with an II HRVP?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
I dyno'd before and after. I lost 10 hp. Not sure if I re-tapped the wire correctly. Haven't had time to check. If that is VP only, and no TST or Comp in the pic, it will be awesome. If that is with the box fueling, I'm very disappointed. Edge comp doesn't feel on/off kick in the pants like before. I dyno'ed my regular Edge Comp and a Drag Comp with stock ecm program and got the same exact #. It's really hard to tell in SOP because I'm getting some major axle wrap after installing a DD clutch at the same time. Gotta fabricate some ladder bars........

A friend in Loveland but a HRVP in his truck and sold his Comp. Said he didn't need the Comp anymore!

He's since gone to the dark side and traded for an '06
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I assume this was with an II HRVP?
That is correct....
Old 07-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
A friend in Loveland but a HRVP in his truck and sold his Comp. Said he didn't need the Comp anymore!

He's since gone to the dark side and traded for an '06
Buddy of mine says he doesn't need his, except on the dyno.

Mine does run strong with the boxes off.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:09 PM

So you lost 10hp with the addition of the IIHRVP? Was this from your last dyno runs on July 15th? I will be curious to find out if you had the wire tapped correctly, cause like you said if you made those numbers with no box, that is awesome, but if the box was not hooked up correct that is kind of disapointing. Keep us updated. Did you try and stacking combos?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
KVD

So would those kind of gains be possible with a stock truck, no boxes or sticks?

I mean if a hotrod pump makes a the truck feel like its got a comp thats sayin somethin and with better parts i.e. no worries about the factory pump goin poof.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
So you lost 10hp with the addition of the IIHRVP? Was this from your last dyno runs on July 15th? I will be curious to find out if you had the wire tapped correctly, cause like you said if you made those numbers with no box, that is awesome, but if the box was not hooked up correct that is kind of disapointing. Keep us updated. Did you try and stacking combos?
It was the week after. I tried combo's. Tight grouping....very tight. Makes me think the wire isn't tapped right. Regular comp and drag comp were exactly the same.

BTW, it was the next week after the 15th run.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:58 PM

What do you mean by tight group? Do you mean all of the stacks were within a couple HP of one and other?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 PM

The vendor is on this forum often, that is the only reason I ask. I dont like to name names.

Welll I better order one now cause today feels as if ive lost half my truck!
So jetpilot which do you recomend (and do take mastercard )
also if I tap the wire again will void the warrenty on the new pump?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was the week after. I tried combo's. Tight grouping....very tight. Makes me think the wire isn't tapped right.
Come on man---Fix it!!

Quick Reply: HRVP worth it?