Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Good news and BAD news

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Good news and BAD news

First, the good news. I got my gauges in today - finally!

I got trans temp and EGT gauges installed (ISSPRO), and the fuel pressure warning light kit from BD power (LED light comes on if LP pressure drops below 5 psi).

My EGT seems a bit whacky, but maybe it's just me. (Outside temp ~30*) Wind was blowing pretty good at the time. Running down the road MT 60 mph, tailwind - 550 - 600*. Running MT against the wind 60 mph - 800*. Accelerating to 60 mph as normal - 850 - 900*. Floored, up to 80 mph - 1100* (this is as high as I could get it to go), idle engine up to operating temp - 325 - 400*. From what I have read here, they all seem a bit on the high side by 100*....am I wrong? Exhaust is stock. K&N drop in.

Trans temp never moved off the bottom peg of the gauge which is 140*, but I was MT, and it is cool here. I'll have to see if the thing works? Probe in the pan , I didn't want it there, but....too late. I wanted it in the cooler line going out of the trans. Miscommunication there.

NOW THE BAD NEWS:
My precious BD power fuel pressure warning light was and is on all the time . Tested the pressure at the shop where gauges were installed. Gets to 8 psi when priming, about 4-5 psi @ idle, and ~2 psi when on the gas . Looks like a trip to the Dealership. I imagine now that I have a Pyro and other stuff on the truck, they're going to give me grief. Truck is an 02 and has 50,000 miles on it. It is still under warranty until Dec 2006 or whatever the mileage is that I won't get to B4 Dec 06 anyway.

Checked for codes...None there.

Comments?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know how this is gonna sound, but this is why a guage is better (IMHO). You still don't know what the LP is doing, just that it is not pumping 5PSI. Please do youself a favor and get a guage also. The light will wake you up, the guage will tell you what is wrong.
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Talking

i second the request for a gauge instead of a light,with a gauge you can monitor the presure under diferent conditions,also your egts do seem about a 100 degrees on the high side but it may be because almost every one here has eiether 4 inch axhaust or striaght pipes or stacks or even biger pipes which all lower your egts,and a diferent intake may lower your egts too,my egts were simalar to yours till i ran straight pipe to the stacks now they are pretty much 100 degrees lower all across the board.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Legally unless the mod caused the problem the warrenty is still good. The dealership might give you a hassle trying to get out of warrenty work though
Tell them you want to have your lift pump checked.

BTW I guessed the problem in the first sentence of the thread =P
Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 AM

A couple of updates

Made an appointment to get the truck looked at by the dealer on Friday (in two days). They don't seem to have a problem with the lift pump light installed by a local diesel performance shop. They know what they are (I was surprised), and the guy at the diesel shop said he actually sells the light kits to the dealer.

The dealer said they will likely install a new updated lift pump kit that goes in the tank instead of the one on the side of the engine. Anyone heard of this? Of course the truck has pretty much a full tank of fuel right now...oops.

Also, I found out why the EGT "seems" high (besides the stock exhaust - which I plan to remedy). The shop accidentally installed the guage that is designed for post turbo pyro installs. The yellow zone is like 900*. No wonder I could get to the yellow so easily!

...and yes, new fuel filter 5000 - 8000 miles ago....and plan to do it every second oil change....
Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM

4" exhaust on now. Trans service/flush tomorrow, New Lift pump and pump relocation on Friday. Correct EGT gauge on order (post turbo one installed by mistake).
Old 03-22-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Phatboy
Legally unless the mod caused the problem the warrenty is still good. The dealership might give you a hassle trying to get out of warrenty work though
Tell them you want to have your lift pump checked.

BTW I guessed the problem in the first sentence of the thread =P

ib516, have them check for low pressure and tell the service writer that the truck seems to be low on power (drivability issue). This will help your case. Otherwise they may just do a flow test and if it passes, send you on your way w/o a new lp.

Phil
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. My warranty runs out in Dec. They can at least buy the first LP, then if it goes, I'll get an aftermarket one installed on the framerail where it's easy to get to. Got the trans flushed and serviced at a local tranny shop. They do good work. They adjusted the bands, ensured the line pressure was at the top allowable. I made them go buy ATF+4 from the dealer to put in it. Cost me $30 more, but I didn't want ATF+3. It shifts different (better) now that they adjusted things - it felt a bit...."lazy" before by comarison.

Goes to the dealer tomorrow for the new LP.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up New in tank LP installed

New pump installed (my cost = $0), low fuel pressure warning light goes out as soon as I hit the key and it starts turning over . I have read/heard that the in tank LP conversion isn't much better than the old LP, but it works for now (and it was covered under warranty), so we'll see.

I'll keep an eye on that light, especially when towing.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here....
Any comments?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM

The post turbo pyro, is it calibrated to give you readings as if it were a pre turbo pyro? I guess I just assumed all pyros would be calibrated to read actual temp.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by IAM.CA
The post turbo pyro, is it calibrated to give you readings as if it were a pre turbo pyro? I guess I just assumed all pyros would be calibrated to read actual temp.
Nah, a pyro is a pyro. It's just that ISSPRO makes two different EGT gauges that look a lot alike. One has lower yellow and red zones, designed for post turbo pyro installs. On one (post turbo) the yellow starts at 900*, the other (designed for pre turbo installs) it's 1050 or 1100*. Red zone is a bit closer to the same in both.
HERE IS THE POST TURBO ONE
HERE IS THE PRE TURBO ONE
Notice the different yellow and red zones...who knew?