Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel pressure issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure issue!

I have upgraded to the AD100 as in my signature about 3 months ago and couldn't be more happy, except today. This morning after dropping my wife off at work on the way to work I notice my fuel pressure at 23psi. I at first thought I was looking at my boost but, nope I was just cruising along and then I watched it and it was staying around 20-30psi. WOW, I have never had that much always about 17 but no lower than 15 unless, I am at a quarter tank then I will get 10psi but thats a differnt issue.

So my question, anyone had this happen to them?? I dont think it is the air dogg nor do I think it is aaccurate reading but, it could be. The tread is differnt on my fuel pressure tester than the air dogg so I cant check it with my mechanical guage, I am out of options. Do you guys think it is a bad sensor on my edge juice or could there be something causing this spike?? I'd tear into it tonight but, I want some feedback first and our tahoe is torn apart getting a new motor so I dont want to tear this one out till I have the tahoe.

Final question, I want to run a mechanical guage also to see exactly what the fuel pressure is doing. So is there a way to tap into the 1/2" line that the AD comes with? I want to put a mechanical guage right before the injection pump to see exactly what the pump is getting!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

any ideas??
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM

It's not uncommon for the Edge sending unit to go bad. This seems to be caused by the hammering of the fuel system.

The simple answer is yes, we do make 90* fittings that will thread right into the VP44 or CP3 that are barbed push-lock or we have double barbed push-lock style fittings depending on your needs.

Both have a standard 1/8" NPT port for fuel pressure readings. And I would do as you suggest and check the pressures with a separate gauge.

I had a customer call me few days ago with a similar problem of high pressures. We figured out it was his fuel gelling causing the problem. Might be something to check if you are in a cold climate. (I didn't notice you home location).

Dave
Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

I dont think it gelled? It may have I bought some diesel for a station I have never been and didnt look to see if it was winter blend or not? I am in rapid city sd. Its been decent unlike the -25 we had a couple weeks ago!! Thanks for the reply and verifying how unreliable electronic guages are! I have always hated them.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM

umm you could get some fitting to T into the fuel line before your IP and setup a mechanical gauge that way. Put a needle valve in some where between the fuel line and gauge so that the pulses of fuel pressure don't kill your gauge.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

where would be a good place to pick up something like you talking as far as a valve and T
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 PM

check NAPA, Oriellys, auto zone, tractor supply, or a place that makes hyd hoses should have fittings and needle valve. Does your AD sound normal or is it louder like it's pushing more fuel? My guess is that your elec. sender is shot
Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM

Snubbers can be made out of nearly anything. I use a solder filled fitting with a small bleed hole, but others have used the cheap needle valves and the like with good results. I do not like the needle valves as they are prone to leakage. The upside is that the fuel can be shut off if you have a line failure.

I carry a couple spare 1/8" npt plugs for the just in case.

Dave
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 AM

just put a AD100 on my truck tonight @ idle it is reading 20 psi. off the edge. check to make sure you have a good connection, i noticed that while my harness to the F/P was disconnected it would read 33 psi.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

So I finally got some time today to really look at what the problem might be. I looked at all connections disconnected all of them, reconnected, checked for chaffing, ect.and I found nothing!!! then I started looking at the pressure sensor and pushed in on the connector and water kind of bubbled out. BINGO so I took the connector off again and looked and what I thought was a electronic jelly was water. So I have a connector that is filled with water thats turning green. I know where the water came from which is all the snow we had but how in the world did the water work past the enviromental seal on the plug? I blew the water out but what about the corrosion that is taking place? Its the connector that the juice has but the holes are so small there is no way to get sand paper or anything in it to clean it up. What does anyone suggest? Also what would be a good barrier to use on the connectors so this doesnt happen again?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM

some auto places carry electrical brushes, they look like really small pipe cleaners. also you could use one of those cleaners that cleans the individual holes on oxy acetylene torches. to prevent future problems use die-electric grease for a really tight waterproof connection i coated the weather seal in liquid electric tape.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Thanks that sounds like a good idea.