Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pressure guage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure guage?

Due to the constant posts regarding LP and VP-44 failures I have finally decided that it would be a wise idea to invest in a fuel pressure guage (My truck is a 2002 HO w/ 43000 miles on it). SOOO....
--Who sells FP gauges, what are the general prices and which brand is the best bang for my buck?
--Should I have the dealership install the FP guage or will they overcharge me? i.e.-Im not very self-sufficient when it comes to working on my own truck so I would have to get someone else to do the job (right now my abilities are limited to changing the oil and filter, coolant, fuel and air filters ).
--How much should I expect to be charged for the installation of the FP gauge setup?
--Anything else I should know regarding this topic?
Thanks for any input, Drew Stuart
Old 03-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Hello Drew. I just bought a FP guage from Geno's Garage for about $70. Its a Westach guage. If you call them (800-755-1715) the technical guys there are excellent, and will hook you up with all the right stuff.

I haven't installed mine yet (maybe next weekend??), but I've heard its pretty simple. If you have any friends that are the least bit mechanically/electrically inclined, I would ask one of them to help you out. I have a feeling the dealership would charge an outrageous amount!! I got a quote from Central Motive Power, which is a shop specializing in Cummins and Power Stroke motors - and they wanted over $400 to install a guage.

Good luck!!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:00 PM

i installed mine in about 2.5 hours give or take adjusting for beer getting and playing fetch with teh dog.
i got a diprocal oplex or what ever 0-30 psi sweep mechanical gauge. i got the autometer steering column mount for it. picked up everything else for the install at my local napa. after starting the truck was saddnded to see the low psi reading. so i ordered the proper fixins to better that.

get your buddies a case of beer or their fav coffee and go to town.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Your welcome to cruise through our web site. We have many different brands and different styles available. Please call us if you have any questions. We will try to guide you the best way.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 PM

Lots and lots of options on Fuel Pressure guages....from a $20 setup to a $300 setup. It depends on what you want. If you dont mind running fuel into the cab (which is not a big deal), you can get a setup for cheap. There is tons of info on this - just do a simple search.

For a basic setup (with fuel into the cab mounted guage) - youll need a gauge (obviously), a tappend banjo bolt, a needle valve, and some tubing to run to the guage. Searce this site for member "Moose10" - check out his gallery for some excellent install pics.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 AM

i will post pics of mine sometime soon.
I did NOT use a tapped banjo. on my 99 i simply removed the forward most plug on the fuel filter housing. got a 90* npt fitting then a 2 inch npt male-male stright piece, then a female-male needle valve, then teh compression fitting then the tubing into teh cab to the compression fitting on teh gauge.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by D.S.
Due to the constant posts regarding LP and VP-44 failures I have finally decided that it would be a wise idea to invest in a fuel pressure guage (My truck is a 2002 HO w/ 43000 miles on it). SOOO....
--Who sells FP gauges, what are the general prices and which brand is the best bang for my buck?
--Should I have the dealership install the FP guage or will they overcharge me? i.e.-Im not very self-sufficient when it comes to working on my own truck so I would have to get someone else to do the job (right now my abilities are limited to changing the oil and filter, coolant, fuel and air filters ).
--How much should I expect to be charged for the installation of the FP gauge setup?
--Anything else I should know regarding this topic?
Thanks for any input, Drew Stuart

ISSPRO EV series gauges match the Dodge interior very well. Get the 0-30 psi gauge, tubing kit, green bulb covers, and a steering column mount. A little over $100 in parts and about 2-3 hrs. labor to install.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

Our customers are telling us that they think the new DiPricol Optix gauges are matching better than the Isspro.

If you go with the new Optix series make sure you also get the Optix gauge wiring harness. It has the correct connectors already installed for easy plug and play, plus they come with built in dimmers for each gauge. This helps dim the very bright LED lighting in the Optix to match your factory dash look, or at least make it not seem like daytime in your cab at night......hahaha
Old 03-07-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies--I ordered the westach setup
Drew Stuart
Old 03-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Just get the manual one from Geno. Get the one with the schraeder, feed it through the firewall and hook it up. I have mine hanging out of the empty cigarette lighter plug. Cheap and easy.