Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Front license plate mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front license plate mount?

When I went out to my truck Monday morning I discovered someone had taken a fancy to my front license plate and helped themselves to it. I did find one screw and nut near my truck. I'm staying in an RV park with 415 RV sites and the park was full Sunday night. So I'm guessing my little plate and mount are headed on up the road by now.<br><br>When I called the dealer and asked the cost of a new mount they told me $37.50. Now I'm thinking they probably wanted that &quot;mount&quot; more than they wanted a black and silver Rose license plate. (Which will cost $25 to replace) Anyway I tried the local salvage yards with no luck.<br><br>Does anyone know of an online source they may beat the dealer price? Or is there a generic mount. My style mount mounts into two square holes at the bottom of the chrome bumper then the mount curves down and attaches to the plastic part of the bumper under the chrome. <br><br>Even if I spring for the dealer mount, is there a good way to attach it that is will make it harder for low life thieves to walk off with it?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:53 AM

Re:Front license plate mount?

If you had a sport model, I would give you mine. I took it off and it's collecting dust in the garage. It has 4 mount holes though, not sure if it will work on the chrome bumper or not... ???<br><br><br>Tony
Old 04-03-2003, 11:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

Where I live the local police will frequently remove your licence plate until you pay the fine they have so kindly given you. Parking is the big one. Consequently I have installed round head screws on the licence plate and anything else they could remove to take the plate off. Then after the screws were in I filled the phillips head 'cross' with industrial epoxy. Now you can't remove anything even with vice grips. The only way to remove anything now is to first drill out the epoxy. If you go this route just make sure the screws are rounded enough so that vicegrips cannot get a grip on the edge.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:59 AM

I'll have to check, but I believe I still have the one from my 1997 Dually. The front end had a slight impact with a guard rail this past January but I think the holder might have been salvaged.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:07 PM

Tony,<br><br>Thanks! Maybe someone on the forum will know if it will work.<br><br>Mexstan,<br><br>What do they do to your truck if they can't get the plate off? Reminds me of the Denver police. Used to put this &quot;boot&quot; on your wheel. You were dead in the water until those fines were paid.<br><br>Kenny,<br><br>Let me know! That would be great!<br><br>I love the internet!!! 8)
Old 04-03-2003, 12:30 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

Ladyram: Don't know. I have never had a parking ticket here. I suspect that they will just leave it alone. I am very particular where I park as I don't want problems, dings etc.<br>Did have a speeding ticket a few weeks ago and they took my drivers licence. Got it back the next day when I paid the fine. The fines are half price if paid within three days. <br>The speeding ticket ticked me off as they pulled me out of a line of people all doing the same horrendous speed of 120 kph on the expressway. OK, have to admit that section has a speed limit of 80 kph which is ridiculous. Everybody does 120 and more. The fine was about US$10 so can't really complain, specially as it does not go against my insurance.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:27 PM

Ladyram: <br>I've got one that came off my 98 Ram, covered with dust in my garage. Don't know if it would fit though. Yes, it does have two square holes for screws to attach to the chrome. You are welcome to it.<br><br>That piece of plastic is not worth $37.50. That's quite a *******.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:48 PM

Sierra Phil,<br><br>I read your reply and said, &quot;Yes!&quot; Then I called Dodge and was told, &quot;no way...whole new front end, whole new deisign&quot;. Said the only mount that will fit my truck is for a 2001.<br><br>I agree this piece of plastic is not worth the dealer price. Makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off twice! <br><br>Thanks for offering<br><br>
Old 04-03-2003, 03:24 PM

[quote author=ladyram link=board=7;threadid=13127;start=0#123875 date=1049402899]<br>Sierra Phil,<br><br>I read your reply and said, &quot;Yes!&quot; Then I called Dodge and was told, &quot;no way...whole new front end, whole new deisign&quot;. Said the only mount that will fit my truck is for a 2001.<br><br>I agree this piece of plastic is not worth the dealer price. Makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off twice! <br><br>Thanks for offering<br><br> <br>[/quote]<br><br>I think your dealer is lying.... just because the STL Bumpers are all the same up till the new design in 2002/2003 if you have a chrome bumper I don't see where they changed anything from 94-2002 they only changed the bumper in 99 on the Sport Models only so I think it would fit. <br><br>Sierra Ram if Lady does not wan't it I would be interested! <br><br><br>DRecu!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:42 PM

Well, then, if it would fit I would want it. DRec, I would send it on to you if it didn't. I would rather pay a little postage than pay the dealer that price.