General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What license plate class? Drivers license?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What license plate class? Drivers license?

I searched the archives and my local DMV site for an answer.

If I get a 1-ton Ram the GVWR is 9xxxlbs. My state's class "B" plate is good for GVWRs up to 8000lbs.

So, do I need "C" plates? Or can I run the "B" plates?

Also, when getting into registrations for higher weight does my drivers license need updating? It says "vehicles up to 16,000lbs in weight" and I'm assuming that would be truck, trailer, and cargo. I shouldn't approach that. Even with a 7000lb truck I've got 9000lbs of trailer before I'm legally over the limit.

Don't know if it's what you're rated at, or what you're doing?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Chapter President

If your drivin a rig that has a GVW of 26001 then you need a CDL class drivers license

I don't know how your state license the vehicles
Old 02-10-2004, 04:47 PM

I purchased my 3500 in Illinois. You don't need special plates for it.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 PM

n.c. you need commercial tags for whatever weight you intend to haul. its screwy but oh-well
Old 02-11-2004, 11:21 AM

Ok, but the general idea is it's related to how much I want to haul, not how much I *can* haul, right?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:02 PM

I purchased my 3500 in Sept of 98. No special plates, no special license. Slapped a 5th wheel hitch into the bed and hauled a 24 foot horse trailer around. Wasn't hassled or told I had to do anything different.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
cp

Originally posted by stevenknapp
Ok, but the general idea is it's related to how much I want to haul, not how much I *can* haul, right?
Trucks are tagged for whatever weight they *are* hauling. You're fine if you're under that limit....you'll be fined if you're over.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:14 PM

Our lil DOT buddys is crackin down on the 1 toners pulling 53' trailers, theys making em run log books and prove IFTA registrations. Day of the cowboy will soon be long long gone. Does this mean the guy pulling the 12K 5er with a 3/4 shortbed is gonna be in trouble pretty soon
Old 02-12-2004, 03:50 PM

Could be. They're cracking down up here as well. One of the reasons I finally sold the trailer. Didn't need the hassle right now. Forget what the weight is, but the trailer was close to the limit empty. Slap one horse in it and I would have needed a Class A endorsement and log books. Bleh!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Banned

Where I live they are very aggressive with cracking down on heavy trailers. Most people would be surprised at what requires an CLD to operate legally. Regulations vary slightly from state to state, but it would be illegal to pull a tuck/trailer combo that was over 60-65 foot. Or pull a trailer that weighs over 10,000 lbs. I know my trailer is well over 10,000, more like 16,000lbs, and I am sure there are many CTD owners out there with fiver's or goose necks over 10,000lbs. I have a weigh station just down the road from me, with have them in there everyday. They routinely pull over fiver's and goose necks that are large and look heavy. It is not a pleasant experience, first the truck/trailer is quarantined till someone with a CDL comes to move it. Then there is the rather large fine, on average $3,500.00. And even more if they find other other violations, like brake a-way switch, trailer overload, improper hitch capacity, ect. Bottom line is they are only going to enforce this more and more, to them they have tapped into a great revenue source, one that has a large payoff and can help with the departmental short comings. It has gotten so bad here that the service stations close to the weight station are now selling brake a-way kits, lights,lamps,batteries, and a local attorney has his business card there for those that will need his representation.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:43 AM

Good to know, y-knot!

Guess I'll stay the he** out of Kentucky in my travels, and NOT be spending any of my tourist dollars there.

The British Columbia Mounties tried all of that commercial enforcement on RVers a couple of years back--the RV and Tourist Lobby raised so much cain about the loss of revenue, the Mounties now only enforce on RV's that look blatently overloaded/ overlength.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:43 AM

i can see them getting the overweight ton trucks if seriously overweight but what about the guy hauling a car on a trailer and total weight may be 12000 lbs. i doubt that will hurt the highway a whole lot. nothing but a bunch of suits making the laws anyway so i guess i just have to try to abide by them
Old 02-25-2004, 06:04 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Some of the crack-downs are probably caused by the "34 foot trailer behind a 1/2 ton truck" syndrome, or pulling a huge trailer behnd a SUV.
Those rigs are unsafe, and the inexperienced drivers can get in over their head in a heartbeat.
Another situation where the Govt. steps in to save them from their own silly choices.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Shovelhead, that is exactly what I was thinking. Makes me glad I kept my class A license. At least here in Minnesota I have not seen much problems with RV's being in trouble with the law.
Tom
Old 02-25-2004, 06:20 PM

There was a rumor for a while that Ontario was going to require everyone who pulled a trailer over 3800 kilos (I think that's the weight) to get a Class A license and pull said trailer with a vehicle that was at least a one ton truck. We see a LOT of idiots pulling huge loads with the family van. BLEH! Not sure where that rumor is right now. I suspect the RV lobby got it squashed for now. Although I'm not too sure that's such a bad idea to require something like that.

Quick Reply: What license plate class? Drivers license?