Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

FASS Questions or Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS Questions or Suggestions

This message is primarily out to Diesel Dan, however I thought posting a thread would be better so other viewers may get something out of it.

Diesel Dan you seem to be the subject matter expert on the FASS and I have a couple quick questions.

First so you know I currently purchased the complete FASS for my 98.5 Dodge 3/4 QC Short Bed truck with the 24V eng. and I am already running a FP gauge to monitor my stock system since I unfortunately have felt the pain of a failed lift pump and VP44.

1. Anyway I reviewed the installation instructions and I'm wondering if I can just put a T-Fitting in the fuel line prior to the injection pump to tie in my existing FP gauge line. By the way I have a fuel isolator so I'm not actually running fuel to my fuel pressure gauge.

2. I'm also wondering if it would be easier on the inital start of the FASS after installation to go ahead and fill the fuel filter and separator with fuel prior to installing them. I figure the less air in the system initially the better. This wasn't mentioned in the instructions so I thought I would ask.

I appreciate any feedback from other viewers as well.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 AM

The FASS "housing" has a port for a FP gauge. I filled my seperator with Powerservice and then bumped the starter a few times to get it circulated through.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Wise
This message is primarily out to Diesel Dan, however I thought posting a thread would be better so other viewers may get something out of it.

Diesel Dan you seem to be the subject matter expert on the FASS and I have a couple quick questions.

First so you know I currently purchased the complete FASS for my 98.5 Dodge 3/4 QC Short Bed truck with the 24V eng. and I am already running a FP gauge to monitor my stock system since I unfortunately have felt the pain of a failed lift pump and VP44.

1. Anyway I reviewed the installation instructions and I'm wondering if I can just put a T-Fitting in the fuel line prior to the injection pump to tie in my existing FP gauge line. By the way I have a fuel isolator so I'm not actually running fuel to my fuel pressure gauge.

2. I'm also wondering if it would be easier on the inital start of the FASS after installation to go ahead and fill the fuel filter and separator with fuel prior to installing them. I figure the less air in the system initially the better. This wasn't mentioned in the instructions so I thought I would ask.

I appreciate any feedback from other viewers as well.
Thanks
This is how my FPG is run in my truck. Built a 1/2" pipe "T" and just got two 1/2" pipe to 3/8" barb fittings (Like in the FASS kit). Then i reduced the 1/2" pipe to 1/8" pipe for the gauge. I find that isolators cause a lot of issues with fuel pressure. Not saying that they are bad to use. BUT if you pressure drops or gets weak, say over a week. This would be the first place i would look. Rebleed everything. Use thread sealer on all pipe fittings.

AS for the priming. On a 98.5-04 Dodge.....when initially installing filters, i leave them both dry. I make sure the Water Separator is tight (Since it on the suction side). The fuel filter i crack to bleed the air. Then i bump the engine to let the pump run for the 20 seconds. MOST TIMES, just at the end of the cycle it will catch prime as the FASS stops running. (You will know when it happens; you will hear the FASS motor load up). If you hear it catch prime, you need to tighten up the fuel filter QUICK! Most of the air will be pushed to the tank through the FASS by-pass. Run the pump cycle about 8 more times to push the air through the VP-44/CP3 and prime with fuel. This should allow the engine to start with out missing a beat.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM

Dan,
you read my mind on the fittings, I just wanted to confirm it with a subject matter expert. Oh and thanks for the tip on priming.

One more question. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, but I read somewhere in one of the threads that all current FASS systems are fitted with a new pressure spring to run about 14-16 psi, instead of the older model which ran between 18-22 psi. I just wanted to be sure so I know what to expect.

Thanks again for all your help

Darrin
Old 06-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Dan,
you read my mind on the fittings, I just wanted to confirm it with a subject matter expert. Oh and thanks for the tip on priming.

One more question. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, but I read somewhere in one of the threads that all current FASS systems are fitted with a new pressure spring to run about 14-16 psi, instead of the older model which ran between 18-22 psi. I just wanted to be sure so I know what to expect.

Thanks again for all your help

Darrin
WELL the new units that were built from last Fri to now have the new PS-1002 13-14psi spring. SO chances are you have the older PS-1002 spring that gives 19-22 PSI. The SN# brake is 8012. Anything after that number will have the new spring.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 PM

Diesel Dan,
I received my FASS fuel system today, however I am skeptical that the dealer sent me the right one. I am hoping you can tell me if I got the right one. On the box it has a check mark by the following part number "FASS 95/150-1008" Can you let me know? I would appreciate it since I can't find a number for DPP

Thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Diesel Dan,
I received my FASS fuel system today, however I am skeptical that the dealer sent me the right one. I am hoping you can tell me if I got the right one. On the box it has a check mark by the following part number "FASS 95/150-1008" Can you let me know? I would appreciate it since I can't find a number for DPP

Thanks

Part number brake down: FASS 95/150-1008

95----series
150-----GPH
1008----- Type of Vehc and application....in this case a 1998.5-04 Dodge Truck.

You got the new 95 Series Kit....they are just as good as the 150 series but the filters will need to be bought through your dealer. Also its about 20% smaller in size. That is the only differance.

Filter Part numbers:

FF-2010
WS-2001
Old 06-15-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks,
That's what I thought. I originally ordered the 95 GPH model but the dealer which is Diesel Performance Inc. tried to tell me the one I received is the 95GPH model. I'll call them tomorrow to see if we can exchange this for the right one. Appreciate your help
Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 AM

The part number you are looking for is going to be:

FASS 150/95-1008 OR
FASS 95/95-1008
Old 06-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dan
The part number you are looking for is going to be:

FASS 150/95-1008 OR
FASS 95/95-1008
I am told you are the rep. witch number should i get for regular heavy towing ? can i order thru you ? price ?

Another one bites the dust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to replace lift pump again (4 in the past year). all been warrenty thru cummins and this one can be but am tired of going thru it.
cummins dealer said if i wanted to buy a fass he would install for free. Question is, can i just get the fass pump and be ok or do i need to do the filtering system too ? \
where is the best deal available for them
Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 AM

The Fass 95 would be more than enough fuel. The filters and fuel air seperation of the fass would be nice, but not necessary, IMO. Also Fass II was almost $200 cheaper

Randy
Old 06-19-2006, 08:26 AM

The 95 GPH unit would be perfect.....either FASS or HPFP....just depends what you are looking for.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM

Another FASS Question

I just received my FASS, however it was missing one component which was the 3/8 Quick Disconnect (QD 1001) for the line that goes to the fuel tank. I notified the dealer and he's working on it. My question is there another way to get one? I'd like to finish this job soon.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 PM

I just received my FASS, however it was missing one component which was the 3/8 Quick Disconnect (QD 1001) for the line that goes to the fuel tank. I notified the dealer and he's working on it. My question is there another way to get one? I'd like to finish this job soon.

Thanks

I know Auto Zone carries these......because i needed one in a pinch a few years back (Working for HPD in TX) when i was retrofitting a customers old unit into a new truck. He didn’t have that fitting and i found it @ Auto Zone.......

Sorry the part was missing......we are currently reorganizing our system in our packaging dept to keep small things like this from happening.....

You can also just hose clamp the line to the tank fitting if needed.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Diesel Dan,
Thanks for the tip. I called one of other local parts store and they acted like I was speaking Hindu. I'll try Autozone. I'm also hoping my dealer will get it for me. Worst case I'll try the clamp on the existing fitting for now.

Thanks Again