Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

edge comp/smarty stack tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edge comp/smarty stack tuning question

ok guys, i know theres already hundreds of threads on this, but nothing i found really answered the question im looking for.

Anyway i have an unlocked edge comp and am buying a smarty dirt cheap from a guy. Mainly buying smarty for tire size recalibration and the ability to change torque settings, injector duration etc. I am aware the comp and smarty both add timing and that the stack is proven to reduce power on the top end.

My question is if i run the edge on 5x5, and i run the smarty on a low to mid level NON timing setting, say sw#4 will i still see a drop in top end power as im keeping the smarty levels down? ive played with smarties on my truck before, but not since i did engine build or for a long enough period of time to really test anything. Heres the MAIN list of my current mods if thatll be of any help to you guys.

edge comp unlocked
64/71/14 turbo
7x0.011 injectors
184/215 cam
dual valve springs
billet pushrods
o ringed and p/p head
afe bladerunner intake horn
3 pc exhaust manifold
sbc 3600dd

etc etc

just looking for personal opinions/thoughts on how id like to run this and see where it goes from there.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CumminsRedneck
ok guys, i know theres already hundreds of threads on this, but nothing i found really answered the question im looking for.

Anyway i have an unlocked edge comp and am buying a smarty dirt cheap from a guy. Mainly buying smarty for tire size recalibration and the ability to change torque settings, injector duration etc. I am aware the comp and smarty both add timing and that the stack is proven to reduce power on the top end.

My question is if i run the edge on 5x5, and i run the smarty on a low to mid level NON timing setting, say sw#4 will i still see a drop in top end power as im keeping the smarty levels down? ive played with smarties on my truck before, but not since i did engine build or for a long enough period of time to really test anything. Heres the MAIN list of my current mods if thatll be of any help to you guys.

edge comp unlocked
64/71/14 turbo
7x0.011 injectors
184/215 cam
dual valve springs
billet pushrods
o ringed and p/p head
afe bladerunner intake horn
3 pc exhaust manifold
sbc 3600dd

etc etc

just looking for personal opinions/thoughts on how id like to run this and see where it goes from there.

i just want to make a statement, it doesn't mean anything for your question...but i don't think you can lock or unlock an edge comp. i have had one for years
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Edge Comp Drag Box (Hot Upgrade) .

Yes there is a upgrade or unlock pending wording. You can purchase it new with it or I believe you have to send it to edge with waver to get it put on the box. well that was the way a couple years ago.

I'm happy with my smarty and TST Power max 3. I never have used an edge product with my smarty tho.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM

No you will not lose top end power if you use the fuel only settings on the Smarty. You will get a lot of pre-spool smoke though! I don't have the drag on my truck (just a comp) but off the line power was pretty impressive on 5x5 with a Smarty on it. I never bought one though - only tried friends so I could get the high idle in the winter thing. Good luck - but yea, don't use the timing settings on the Smarty.