Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GSK 3-4000 benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSK 3-4000 benefits?

what are the benefits of letting the 12V rev all the way up to the 3-4000 range? on my 96, that is the redline zone.

are these truck making that much more power all the way up there or is it marginal?

I did a query on this topic and not the information showed up that i was looking for.

thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM

I put in the 3k portion of my kit. The benefit for me was not to run past 3k, but to be able to pull hard through around 2800 instead of having the fuel pulled back starting at 2200 to 2500 right where my motor is getting on top of it's power curve. There is more power up there if you are racing/pulling and have the right setup. Yes, I have buzzed it right to 3100 on the odd burnout, but the every day satisfaction and snappiness are the true reasons for me to do it. Starting on a new truck, I would certainly do it again, but go ahead and install the 4k springs too. Mine is a manual. I have heard similar satisfactory results from those driving autos.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 PM

jstone, the way my 96 rides at current, loose steering, ride height, buzzing and shaking. i could not imagine the terror there would be at revs in the range you just mentioned. (in OD on the highway)

at 2200+, its getting pretty scary. hovering at 85 or so. maybe off some. i've got different size tires and rims now.

also, with all the users of this GSK, you're the only one willing to share your experience. ?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jj3500
jstone, the way my 96 rides at current, loose steering, ride height, buzzing and shaking. i could not imagine the terror there would be at revs in the range you just mentioned. (in OD on the highway)

at 2200+, its getting pretty scary. hovering at 85 or so. maybe off some. i've got different size tires and rims now.

also, with all the users of this GSK, you're the only one willing to share your experience. ?
Sounds like you've got some other issues you need to take care of before messing with GSK mods.

check out this for steering (probably need find some matching tires and rims first):
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...eering+linkage

I've got a 3k GSK and like it.
It allows for good fueling above 2k.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 AM

truck is a 96, recently acquired. going through all the quirks. i just picked up some factory aluminum 16" wheels.

i also have a BD steering stiffener. going in, hopefully, this afternoon.

thanks for link.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I didn't get the gsk for top speed....like you said much over 80 isn't really necessary most times. I put the 4k in when I had the automatic in, and all it did for me then was speed up the need to rebuild/replace the transmission. Had too much fun with it! Now with a 5 speed I couldn't imagine driving with the stock defueling curve. I frequently wind it out to near 3k when pulling a load, makes the next gear that much easier. O/D is a little shorter with the 5 speed too, so if I need to stab the throttle at 80mph for whatever reason I still have plenty of fuel left at 2500+. I also have just stock valve springs and let off around 3200 and no problems yet....it's seen 3500 once or twice.

For the price it's a no-brainer to me.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Broader power range available.

My "95 hit hard at 17-1800 RPM. Then, at about 2250, the governor started pulling fuel and the truck fell on its nose before the trans shifted. Now, I can fuel at higher RPM (3GSK) and tow with more upper RPM power.

Very satisfying difference.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM

GSK 3-4000 benefits?

Is this a mod you can perform while having a stock transmission? A deeper pan is only difference I know of on mine.

Last edited by 44Bisley; 08-05-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: clarity, spelling
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM

In regard to the transmission being stock, with a GSK installed, you will shift under power as opposed to shifting on the governor under heavy throttle.

According to your signature 44 Bisley, I think you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Based on this spec sheet, the engine will start to self-destruct after 4100 RPMs. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/96specs.html

Curious if anyone has seen 4100 RPMs and what actually starts happening at that speed. And if this is the case, why would you want to push it to this level knowing that you are flirting with grenading the engine?!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Bisley
Based on this spec sheet, the engine will start to self-destruct after 4100 RPMs. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/96specs.html

Curious if anyone has seen 4100 RPMs and what actually starts happening at that speed. And if this is the case, why would you want to push it to this level knowing that you are flirting with grenading the engine?!
-----------------------------------------------------------
44Bisely:

In stock form, that 4,100 RPM "redline" is pretty accurate. A few years back, when my bottom end was closer to stock than it is now, I could hit 4,000 RPM
but the engine did not sound good. The big problem on the stock Cummins 5.9 is the valve springs. They HAVE to be changed.

Being that I was and still am drag racing my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve, I had my good friends at "Scheid Diesel" build me a bottom end and cylinder head that can take 5,000 RPM now! This includes balancing the entire bottom rotating assembly, adding forged pistons, different pushrods, heavier valves and valve springs etc. Now I can easily get past 4,000 RPM without the worry of "grenading the engine."

FWIW,....the top Dodge CTD sled pulling trucks and all of the NHRDA Pro-Street Dodge CTD Drag Trucks can hit 6,000 RPM without damage although most keep the RPM's in the 5,000-5,500 range. The 5.9 Cummins is one tough engine!

Hope this helps you some.

--------
John_P
Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 AM

After looking more into this, since you are dismantling the fuel pump anyway, doesn't it make sense to also add a different fuel plate at the same time? I have been researching on the TST site that recommends a #8 plate for the '96 auto. However, they make no mention of the GSK kit, only the fuel plate. If you add a different fuel plate, is it a good idea to have gauges (at least EGT)?

I do want it to rev a bit higher as it is kind of a dog right about 2300 RPMs.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Bisley
After looking more into this, since you are dismantling the fuel pump anyway, doesn't it make sense to also add a different fuel plate at the same time? I have been researching on the TST site that recommends a #8 plate for the '96 auto. However, they make no mention of the GSK kit, only the fuel plate. If you add a different fuel plate, is it a good idea to have gauges (at least EGT)?

I do want it to rev a bit higher as it is kind of a dog right about 2300 RPMs.
------------
44Bisley:

Yes Sir,....adding a TST #8 Fuel Plate is a good idea. TST is a great company to deal with and Mark and Gina Chapple (Owners) are very nice people! I have bought many products from them over the years.

Yes,...you ABSOLUTELY should have gauges, especially a pyro (EGT) to monitor the exhaust gas temperatures on your truck. Adding more fuel can cause the EGT's to get into the "danger" area if you are not careful. That
"danger" area is 1,300 degrees if you are reading the EGT's in the exhaust manifold and 1,000 degrees if you are reading the EGT's in the downpipe AFTER the turbo.

--------
John_P
Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Are there any appreciable differences between the various GSK and fuel plate makers out there? I ask because there are considerable differences in cost from one make to another.

On a side note, anyone know why my signature is not showing up, even though the "Show Signature" check box is enable like it always is?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
44Bisley, your signature only shows on the first post of each page, the remaining posts on that page will not have them to save bandwidth.

As for differences, some say yes, some say no, many folks grind their own fuel plates from the diagram on here.......

Quick Reply: GSK 3-4000 benefits?