Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Comp bucking/surging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Comp bucking/surging?

I've been running my Comp in EZ mode for quite awhile now, never a glitch. Last week I installed Mach 1.6 injectors, and the truck is behaving a little funny. I can only describe it as bucking or jerking or surging... of course it's an intermittent problem but it seems to happen with heavier throttle when accelerating or pulling a grade. I didn't really notice it until this weekend when I was towing my toy hauler trailer... I didn't pick up on it when running empty because when I hit the go pedal it accelerated through the bucking so quickly it was hard to notice.

If I turn the box off I don't experience the bucking... then again, I'm not experiencing anything right now cuz the truck blew up on the trip home. See my other thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=66360

I wonder if the bucking contributed to my engine problem(s).

Anyway, has anyone experienced this before? Is my comp bad?

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:43 PM

The added timing that the larger injectors induce added to the timing enhancements of the Edge box are what is causing the bucking and surging. A lot of guys that are running the EZ and larger than say a 275 injector have experienced the same thing.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:16 AM

So... is there a cure?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:13 AM

When I switched from the EZ box to the Comp I found that running the comp (wire tapped) on sub level 1 in power level 1 made the surge go away.
I haven't played with the box enough to see if higher sub/power levels work as well, I'm to busy trying to ring every last mile out of this high priced diesel .
Old 04-18-2005, 07:23 AM

Auto or Stick?

Could it be clutch slippage?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
before you assume a comp/injector issue, CHECK THE GROUND FOR THE COMP (as well as all other electric connections)! i fought the same symptoms for a month or more, finally cured it with a ground directly to the dirver's side battery from the comp. also use a bit of dielectric grease in the MAP and data connectors. seen this work several times, and it can't hurt.
more specifically, my symptoms were intermittent 'check engine' light, stumbling, constant throttle position bucked and jerked - worse when towing.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

My old comp used to surge on me really bad after a hard run on 3x3 with the wire tapped. Even if I changed levels it would do it. I sent it back to edge and they reprogrammed it. Great people to work with.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mikelr
When I switched from the EZ box to the Comp I found that running the comp (wire tapped) on sub level 1 in power level 1 made the surge go away.
I haven't played with the box enough to see if higher sub/power levels work as well, I'm to busy trying to ring every last mile out of this high priced diesel .
Yeah you are turning down the power till it won't wind the rear springs up and rides smoothe pulling. Look for bad shocks and bad shock bushings, they make it worse.

It is part of the same effect that causes the bucking when starting up a hill with a heavy load.